North American 2018 Holiday ideas

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: North American 2018 Holiday ideas

#341  Postby Macdoc » Jul 17, 2018 6:19 am

PA is lovely, fertile in the valleys, been raped numerous times for forest products, coal and oil and current being messed by fracking.

Lancaster is sort of the action central for Amish...there are a couple of sects, some very luddite and others no so much.
Worth doing some reading. Every young person has to leave the community for a year and have to choose to come back.

We have extensive Amish nearby and there communities extending down to Mexico. I always wave to them when I pass them on the motorcycle and the kids light up.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#342  Postby jamest » Jul 28, 2018 10:47 pm

We are here now. Left Toronto this morning, currently riding the train to New York. We have enjoyed Toronto and Niagara, but the high cost of supplies in the stores there came as a big shock. For instance a small loaf cost about £3+ in the shops we saw. Ouch
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#343  Postby The_Piper » Jul 28, 2018 11:14 pm

search your gadgets for dollar tree. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#344  Postby jamest » Jul 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Surprise surprise there ain’t any in Manhattan.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#345  Postby jamest » Jul 29, 2018 12:25 am

Some great views along the Hudson River.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#346  Postby The_Piper » Jul 29, 2018 1:25 am

Not a surprise. There is a dollar store in mid-town manhattan though.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#347  Postby felltoearth » Jul 29, 2018 3:03 am

jamest wrote:We are here now. Left Toronto this morning, currently riding the train to New York. We have enjoyed Toronto and Niagara, but the high cost of supplies in the stores there came as a big shock. For instance a small loaf cost about £3+ in the shops we saw. Ouch

Where were you staying? I never pay more than $2.50 cdn for a half loaf of good bread.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#348  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 29, 2018 5:12 pm

Macdoc wrote:PA is lovely, fertile in the valleys, been raped numerous times for forest products, coal and oil and current being messed by fracking.

Lancaster is sort of the action central for Amish...there are a couple of sects, some very luddite and others no so much.
Worth doing some reading. Every young person has to leave the community for a year and have to choose to come back.

We have extensive Amish nearby and there communities extending down to Mexico. I always wave to them when I pass them on the motorcycle and the kids light up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#349  Postby jamest » Jul 30, 2018 3:15 am

felltoearth wrote:
jamest wrote:We are here now. Left Toronto this morning, currently riding the train to New York. We have enjoyed Toronto and Niagara, but the high cost of supplies in the stores there came as a big shock. For instance a small loaf cost about £3+ in the shops we saw. Ouch

Where were you staying? I never pay more than $2.50 cdn for a half loaf of good bread.

We were staying at Veeds on Peter Street, just north of Wayne Gretzky's restaurant which is apparently famous? Of course we didn't know the area though obviously you local guys know where to go to get the best deals on stores, but the few stores we happened upon in our area were all very expensive compared to home. Not just bread, almost everything seemed about 3 or 4 times the price we pay in the UK. The confusing thing about it was that when we ate out the prices were far more reasonable, almost on a par with home. Of course we were only there a few days.

We've only been in New York for 24 hours but we've experienced a similar situation here (about a 10 minute walk from Times Square), in that there seems plenty of reasonable/cheap places to eat out, but in the two mini markets we've been in most things seem expensive. For instance, a dollar for a single apple; about 3 dollars for bread; 5 or 6 dollars for a box of breakfast cereal; $4.50 for a tub of butter. I guess we're being fleeced because we're staying in the tourist area.

We arrived late last night but visited Times Square. Quite a place on a Saturday night. Loved it. We really enjoyed the vibe in Central Park today too, followed by a visit up Top of the Rock. What can I say about those views!

Oh, one more thing: I can't find a pie/pasty or pork pie anywhere. What's wrong with you guys? :crazy:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#350  Postby The_Piper » Jul 30, 2018 5:07 am

Aren't pasties the things that go on nipples?
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#351  Postby The_Piper » Jul 30, 2018 5:18 am

jamest wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

We were staying at Veeds on Peter Street, just north of Wayne Gretzky's restaurant which is apparently famous? Of course we didn't know the area though obviously you local guys know where to go to get the best deals on stores, but the few stores we happened upon in our area were all very expensive compared to home. Not just bread, almost everything seemed about 3 or 4 times the price we pay in the UK. The confusing thing about it was that when we ate out the prices were far more reasonable, almost on a par with home. Of course we were only there a few days.

We've only been in New York for 24 hours but we've experienced a similar situation here (about a 10 minute walk from Times Square), in that there seems plenty of reasonable/cheap places to eat out, but in the two mini markets we've been in most things seem expensive. For instance, a dollar for a single apple; about 3 dollars for bread; 5 or 6 dollars for a box of breakfast cereal; $4.50 for a tub of butter. I guess we're being fleeced because we're staying in the tourist area.

We arrived late last night but visited Times Square. Quite a place on a Saturday night. Loved it. We really enjoyed the vibe in Central Park today too, followed by a visit up Top of the Rock. What can I say about those views!

Oh, one more thing: I can't find a pie/pasty or pork pie anywhere. What's wrong with you guys? :crazy:

People pay a relative lot of money for convenience in midtown Manhattan. I can sympathize with them, it's not like inner city deliveries are easy or cheap. I know the cabs are famous, but it's also cargo van central there, because they're easier to manouver. Around here there are very few cargo vans, even among contractor types. I half-joke that there aren't many cargo vans because there isn't much cargo. Heading south I see the procession to more and more cargo vans as I approach Boston, and it's peak in New York City. :teef:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#352  Postby Macdoc » Jul 30, 2018 7:16 am

Convenience stores every where are expensive.
US is not much on meat pies ....hot dogs and sausages tho I imagine there are the some mexican offering.
Always look forward to a kangaroo pie when I get home to Cairns.

Maccers is best for cheap food and boring....especially breakfast and the wifi is most always decent.

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-cheap-eats-nyc

How long are you where you are.

Bagels are popular in New York

Loads of choices

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaura ... _York.html

https://foursquare.com/top-places/new-y ... ood-trucks
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#353  Postby Sendraks » Jul 30, 2018 10:00 am

Leaving for Indianapolis tomorrow!
Woooooo Gen Con 2018!!!
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#354  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm

There's meat pies (of the Portuguese variety I think) at many of the carts that sell hot dogs and kababs, but they're not very good. There are some great food trucks that aren't garbage, usually the ones selling lamb over rice or falafel and usually at night. But they are expensive. Food pretty much everywhere in Manhattan is expensive, unfortunately. Two Bros does good dollar slices, but it ain't high art. Best pizza is in Brooklyn and Queens. But Manhattan isn't the place to cheap out on food. Do yourself a favor and go to Katz's deli for amazing pastrami on rye!

And as mentioned, we are known for our bagels so if you can find a real shop that has a bunch of different flavors of cream cheese (chipotle or scallion's my personal favorite), you'll see the best that particular kind of food has to offer. I'm generally not a fan, but definitely had better bagels here than anywhere else.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#355  Postby laklak » Jul 30, 2018 6:41 pm

You got rats on the westside, bedbugs uptown, what a mess, this town's in tatters, my brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan - Mick 'n Keef
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#356  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 30, 2018 6:57 pm

We've got rats everywhere. And roaches, don't forget the roaches.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#357  Postby Macdoc » Jul 30, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm generally not a fan, but definitely had better bagels here than anywhere else.

Try Montreal
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#358  Postby kiore » Jul 30, 2018 7:21 pm

For pies in Manhattan, go to the Tuck shop for Australian style 'gourmet' pies.
Closest one to you is 570 Lexington Ave, Lex and E 51st.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#359  Postby The_Piper » Jul 30, 2018 7:50 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:We've got rats everywhere. And roaches, don't forget the roaches.

I saw my first NYC cockroach this year. :mrgreen:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#360  Postby The_Piper » Jul 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Sendraks wrote:Leaving for Indianapolis tomorrow!
Woooooo Gen Con 2018!!!

Not a huge city but a neat downtown area. you could check out a Golden Corral buffet if you get a chance. It's a chain but they're usually good. :mrgreen:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion