OK, Boomer

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

OK, Boomer

#1  Postby Hermit » Mar 22, 2020 7:01 am

Lost your heart, and the expected trade-in, a brain, never showed up? You've forgotten about the protests and riots, the rebellion against the powers that were, and joined them instead, haven't you? Comrades have been imprisoned, even died, fighting the introduction of emergency laws. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame.

Not that the smugly finger-pointing Millennials are doing any better. Not many massive protests, let alone riots, these days. No repeats of what happened in Paris, Rome, Berlin, Mexico City, Washington, Zürich and every other major western city in the late 1960s.

The rot set in during the first half of the 1970s when people were too busy trying to maintain their wage to find enough motivation to maintain their rage. Yes, that's where the Boomers abandoned the barricades, but succeeding generations refused to pick up the slack. Let's not discuss Generation X. That generation of future stock brokers, funds managers, real estate agents and lemonade stand tycoons undermines attempts by Millennials to blame everything on the Boomers.

Let's take a brief look at the Millennials themselves. A much smaller percentage of them votes for the conservatives than any other age group. Bravo, Millennials. So who do you vote for? Sanders? Corbyn? Whoopdedoo. They would have been the centrists when the Boomers were firing, or moderates at best. And did I mention 'voting'? Why, yes, I did. Turns out no other age group is as apathetic when it comes to turning up at a polling booth. If you can't be bothered getting out of bed to make your mark on a voting form it comes as no surprise that you'll find your participation in protest marches altogether too much of an impost.

Back to the most serious issue today: Emergency laws. Yes, they are a more serious threat than the nascent pandemic. So called democratic governments are using the Covid-19 virus as a vehicle to roll out new and expanding already existing surveillance and control legislation, and they are doing that without accompanying sunset provisions. When similar attempts were made in the 1960s, protesters had their skulls smashed in by police batons. Live shots were fired by the cops. One of them ricochetted, killing Benno Ohnesorg. What do we hear today? Wall to wall complaints. About toilet paper and surgical grade face masks. Well done, Millennials. Show us Boomers the way. No? No. Apparently not. The occasional article, post or tweet about government proposals to override constitutional rights and freedoms gets no traction. Our intrepid Millennials are too busy blaming Boomers for the sorry state of current affairs to bother with those threats.

Thank you, Millennials, for showing us how to do things properly. Not. Don't bother setting your alarm clocks. You're not going to get out of bed out of concern for your future and the future of your children, so there really is no point of them other than to make sure you get to work on time, or if you do decide to take part in a riot, it's in order to smash a shop window and liberate a smart-TV.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: OK, Boomer

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 22, 2020 7:47 am

Perhaps I've misunderstood the meme, but isn't the phrase "Ok Boomer!" meant to be a sardonic retort when people from the baby boomer generation seek to accuse the younger generations of being lazy, being privileged, being entitled etc?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Hermit » Mar 22, 2020 8:21 am

Spearthrower wrote:Perhaps I've misunderstood the meme, but isn't the phrase "Ok Boomer!" meant to be a sardonic retort when people from the baby boomer generation seek to accuse the younger generations of being lazy, being privileged, being entitled etc?

Like so many other words and expressions "OK boomer" probably has more than one meaning/application, but I think dictionary.com's definition is the most commonly used one.

SLANG DICTIONARY
OK boomer
or ok boomer [oh-key boom-er]

WHAT DOES OK BOOMER MEAN?
OK boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or close-minded opinions associated with the baby boomer generation and older people more generally.

And from a Vox article:
Boomers have “mortgaged the future” in exchange for hoarding wealth while also voting to end necessary social programs.
[...]
The earliest mentions of OK boomer can be traced as far back as 2015 on 4chan, where the phrase was used as an insult by the forum’s anonymous users, aimed at other anons who seemed out of touch. But the phrase really took off this year on TikTok, as a rebuttal to angry rants by baby boomers about kids these days. A song by Peter Kuli & Jedwill known as “OK BOOMER!” — the verses define boomers as racist, fascist Trump supporters with bad hair — became a popular song choice for TikTok sing-along videos this fall. Teens on the platform used the song’s intro and chorus as a rebuttal to annoying run-ins they’d had with seniors policing or judging their behavior

While I have no problem accepting that "OK boomer" is available in various flavours, including its use as a retort to critiques of Millennials by baby boomers, my post was based on just one of them: the meat of the counter-critique
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 22, 2020 8:43 am

I think "OK, Boomer" is a feeble attempt to circumvent the traps lurking in "Never trust anyone over 30".
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Hermit » Mar 22, 2020 9:01 am

Cito di Pense wrote:I think "OK, Boomer" is a feeble attempt to circumvent the traps lurking in "Never trust anyone over 30".

Haha, yes indeed. I fell into that very trap. I dreaded the moment I would inevitably become one of "them" with increasing intensity. Disassociating a particular age by focusing more generally on a particular generation bypasses that problem.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 22, 2020 9:07 am

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:I think "OK, Boomer" is a feeble attempt to circumvent the traps lurking in "Never trust anyone over 30".

Haha, yes indeed. I fell into that very trap. I dreaded the moment I would inevitably become one of "them" with increasing intensity. Disassociating a particular age by focusing more generally on a particular generation bypasses that problem.

The upside really hits when you find you're too old to die young. To some extent this is a matter of personal preference.

Also, the label of being "one of them" is not up to you.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Mar 22, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Mar 22, 2020 9:07 am

Millennials have no idea.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby laklak » Mar 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Hope I die before I get old didn't work for me. Or for Roger or Pete.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby pelfdaddy » Mar 22, 2020 6:31 pm

A Boomer is someone who stands lashed to the helm, refusing to relinquish the wheel, while the storm shrieks all about, the rigging is all askew, the clouds darken and the waves lave the deck....and has stood thus for two score of years, all the while muttering, "I can fix this".
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Mar 22, 2020 6:49 pm

We'll be fine as long as Kenny Logins is there to help.
Attachments
helm storm.jpg
helm storm.jpg (227.13 KiB) Viewed 534 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Fallible » Mar 22, 2020 7:42 pm

This thread...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby felltoearth » Mar 22, 2020 8:36 pm

laklak wrote:Hope I die before I get old didn't work for me. Or for Roger or Pete.

I'm guessing not for "lak" of trying.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Mar 23, 2020 2:20 am

My liver is stronger than it looks.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby campermon » Mar 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Mar 23, 2020 6:01 pm

#ByeBoomer is a trending thing. After all the spring break morons started testing positive we need to change that to #ByeGenZ.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby campermon » Mar 23, 2020 6:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Mar 23, 2020 6:17 pm

How is college age kids massing on spring break in the face of a national health emergency different than screaming “fire” in a theater?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby newolder » Mar 23, 2020 6:22 pm

At the moment, it's as if everyone is soaked in petrol/gasoline and GenZ is running around with lit tiki torches. :nono:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Piper » Mar 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Is this the get off my lawn thread?
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 23, 2020 6:37 pm

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion