Okay, seriously!? Where does the mind come up with dreams?

Just woken up from a good 5 minute conversation with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Okay, seriously!? Where does the mind come up with dreams?

#121  Postby kennyc » Aug 23, 2014 12:59 pm

hackenslash wrote:I dream of a world in which chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned...

Here ya go: https://www.physics.harvard.edu/academi ... hickenroad

Why did the chicken cross the road?

After finding the first four of the following answers on the web, I figured I’d make up some more, and I got on a roll. Have fun with them. A few are a bit esoteric...

If you like this page, you’ll probably like the limericks in my new mechanics textbook. But don’t let those fool you about the book -- it's a serious one, as you'll see if you take a look. The limericks are there just to lighten things up.

— David Morin

Albert Einstein: The chicken did not cross the road. The road passed beneath the chicken.

Isaac Newton: Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest. Chickens in motion tend to cross roads.

Wolfgang Pauli: There was already a chicken on this side of the road.

Carl Sagan: There are billions and billions of such chickens, crossing roads just like this one, all across the universe. [Apologies for perpetuating the misquote.]

Jean-Dernard-Leon Foucault: What’s interesting is that if you wait a few hours, it will be crossing the road a few inches back that way.

Robert Van de Graaf: Hey, doesn’t it look funny with all its feathers sticking up like that?

Albert Michelson and Edward Morley: Our experiment was a failure. We could not detect the road.

Ludwig Boltzmann: If you have enough chickens, it is a near certainty that one of them will cross the road.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby MattHunX » Aug 23, 2014 1:01 pm

james1v wrote:
Macdoc wrote:I enjoy vivid dreams and will engage lucid dreaming when I can balance it - usually morning - vivid dream...gradually surface and then consciously get back into it....

I do. Sometimes, its a bit of a struggle, but i can manipulate my dreams. Sometimes, i feel sorry for those involved. :shifty: :)

Damn it, I have less and less of those.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#123  Postby JVRaines » Aug 25, 2014 1:42 am

If you want to try something really freaky, look into a mirror during a lucid dream …
JVRaines

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#124  Postby MattHunX » Aug 25, 2014 1:01 pm

JVRaines wrote:If you want to try something really freaky, look into a mirror during a lucid dream …

I did...I think. A few times. Didn't notice anything weird, as far as I can remember.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#125  Postby Animavore » Aug 25, 2014 1:34 pm

I had a dream I looked in the mirror just the other day. I had these wild, uncontrollable locks (I've a shaven head), asymmetric hair.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#126  Postby JVRaines » Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm

MattHunX wrote:
JVRaines wrote:If you want to try something really freaky, look into a mirror during a lucid dream …

I did...I think. A few times. Didn't notice anything weird, as far as I can remember.

I never look like me. Something's off with the hair, or beard, or I look like someone else entirely.
JVRaines

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#127  Postby MattHunX » Aug 25, 2014 6:58 pm

JVRaines wrote:
MattHunX wrote:

I never look like me. Something's off with the hair, or beard, or I look like someone else entirely.

Maybe my dream wasn't lucid enough, so I wasn't aware of anything being different and my mind was completely okay with whatever it saw and shrugged.
MattHunX

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby The_Piper » Oct 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Bump!
I had a weird one last night. I was in Canada hanging out with Macdoc, but he was about my age. I don't even know if he likes me enough to hang out or not, but he did in my dream. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#129  Postby proudfootz » Oct 26, 2015 12:47 am

What I hate is dreaming this which could easily happen, and then wondering later if these are real memories or just dreams...
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#130  Postby ElDiablo » Oct 26, 2015 2:23 am

Had a surreal one last night. I was walking through a multi-story mall with Scarlett Johannsson. We were standing near the escalators, of which there were many. There was a clear, rectangular shaft completely filled with water that ran downward in angles (not gradually down). Scarlett went inside one to go to a bottom floor and immediately upon entering it she turned to water like some of those drink commercials. I could see the water version of her descend down the tubes.

Later that same sleep session, I dreamt I and 3 other people were in a big government building standing at the top ledge near the ceiling. We were dressed in lion costumes. The tall walls were lined with coffers and I used those to make my way down to the floor.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#131  Postby The_Piper » Oct 26, 2015 3:15 am

Scarlett Johannsson. :lol:
Reading that made me remember that I woke up at least once and when I went back to sleep, I was back in Canada in essentially the same dream. Bizarro.
I've been remembering more dreams than usual lately, which is good. Except when I'm wanted by, or being questioned by the police, which happens a lot. My form of nightmare I guess. :nono:
The police were in my Canadian dream last night too, but they were benevolent.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 15, 2015 10:36 am

Just had another interesting episode, courtesy of my brain.

I'm currently working on a fairly horrible problem, which centres upon the results of a nasty set of matrix multiplications, and produces a system of equations to solve. Unfortunately, the system of equations arising from this is non-linear, and involves trigonometric functions. The good news being that there are nine equations in nine unknowns, and consequently, there is hope that the system is solvable at least in principle.

I did entertain the hope that one of my dreams would provide me with a Kekulé style Eureka moment. For those unaware of this episode in the history of organic chemistry, the German chemist Kekulé was trying to solve the problem of the structure of benzene, and one night, experienced a dream in which a chain of six carbon atoms curled around to form a circle, whereupon he found a structure that was consonant with the known empirical formula for benzene.

For some bizarre reason, last night, instead of dreaming about those equations, my brain chose to fire up another IMAX cinema spectacular, complete with Dolby 5.1 surround sound, in which I was called upon to solve a problem involving shunting railway rolling stock. Which appears to have no relevance at all to my actual waking hours problem. Furthermore, the rolling stock in question, for some reason, was labelled "Peroxide Hazard".

Excuse me, brain, but what the hell are you doing?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#133  Postby hackenslash » Nov 15, 2015 11:23 am

Reminds me of an old friend from RDF days...

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#134  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Calilasseia wrote:I was called upon to solve a problem involving shunting railway rolling stock.

What a coincidence! A couple of nights ago I had a dream in which I was descending a long stairway down to a beach from the cliffs above (something I've done often enough, in waking life) and I overheard someone explaining the meaning of the song "Wabash Cannonball" to a third party. Just when I woke up, I understood the TRUE meaning of the song. But now I don't, any more. And no, I haven't listened to the song in years, but I once learned to plink it on the gee-tar, a bunch of years ago.

Even more weirdly, a couple of days later (yesterday) I happened to read an article about shoreline erosion attacking the cliffs above the water in Isla Vista, California, where there are lots of stairways down to the sand, and where I used to live. This tells you everything you need to know about where dreams come from.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#135  Postby kennyc » Nov 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Seriously, okay!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby MattHunX » Nov 20, 2015 7:10 am

:eh:

Random Michael Rosenbaum just showed up at my room's door. No. Not even our front door. My room's. I go to throw a crumpled piece of something out to the bin and boom there he is, like, what's up. He was in the neighborhood. :dunno:

Had a good 2 minutes of fan-boying, without realizing something was off. :)
MattHunX

Print view this post

#137  Postby Scar » Nov 20, 2015 8:22 am

Weird in my dreams I never actually met famous people or anything like that. Just friends and family (and that only very occasionally).

My dreams are usually just random bullshit I'm somehow involved in.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 26, 2015 1:51 am

To be filed in the "WTF?" dream category again ...

I've just woken up from a dream, in which I'd just managed to secure a new software development job. The first off the wall detail being that the job was located in Bradford, where I spent my student days. Now I'm aware of the fact that Bradford has changed a LOT since 1983, so I'm asking two bods from the new workplace to help with directions. At some point, they decide to take a detour without telling me, leaving me to fend for myself. During which time, I find myself trying to put the bicycle into a contraption that's part steampunk cable car, part Alton towers thrill ride, to get to my destination, which for some reason involves traversing a 3,000 foot drop. Then, having negotiated the vertigo inducing cable car ride, I find myself trying to find my new home, which serendipitously is a 2 minute walk from my new workplace, negotiating narrow streets amidst Victorian railway viaducts and canals. But the weird part is this. Somewhere along the line, I acquire two budgie cages containing four yellow budgies. I end this dream, with me cycling along some scenically tree-lined path beside a canal, with two budgie cages full of budgies dangling from my handlebars.

Just what the flying fuck was that all about?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Macdoc » Nov 26, 2015 5:42 am

I'm a big advocate of lucid dreaming and I love to hover at the edge of wakefulness in a vivid dream.

Poe was a big practitioner and conceived many of his vivid tale in a waking dream state.

I'll try and induce and I know if I'm intentionally engaged in a new skill ( ie flying or a lot of intense bridge tournaments ) my dreams will revolve around those activities.

I take a Baysean brain view and think dreams are spin offs from the database sorting out the daily additions to be integrated into the world inside our heads - a comparator with what we percieve goes on continuously
I think theis the basis for taking a day off from continuous learning ( flying in particular ) to allow for integration by the brain with a couple of sleeps to do so.

There are lots of examples....the benzine ring notably...where a blocked problem yields to a dream.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby MattHunX » Nov 26, 2015 7:26 am

Macdoc wrote:I'm a big advocate of lucid dreaming and I love to hover at the edge of wakefulness in a vivid dream.

Poe was a big practitioner and conceived many of his vivid tale in a waking dream state.

I'll try and induce and I know if I'm intentionally engaged in a new skill ( ie flying or a lot of intense bridge tournaments ) my dreams will revolve around those activities.

I take a Baysean brain view and think dreams are spin offs from the database sorting out the daily additions to be integrated into the world inside our heads - a comparator with what we percieve goes on continuously
I think theis the basis for taking a day off from continuous learning ( flying in particular ) to allow for integration by the brain with a couple of sleeps to do so.

There are lots of examples....the benzine ring notably...where a blocked problem yields to a dream.

You say "practitioner", as if he could willing control when he had lucid dreams. :think:

Now, I read some stuff on the net, from random people, about how they trained their minds to have lucid dreams all night, in which they were in control. Something which I don't believe could be achieved. Lucid dreaming only occurs when one is close to waking up. I very much doubt that the mind can be conditioned to induce a particularly kind of state or dream, every time.
MattHunX

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion