One month Data sim for UK

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

One month Data sim for UK

#1  Postby Macdoc » Aug 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Need to pick up a readily available sim for our UK trip that has a high data limit or easily upgradeable one.

6 gb should be okay as we will have wifi in most places we stay. Any provider suggestions? We could pick up enroute to Cambridge or at Heathrow.

Thanks
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: One month Data sim for UK

#2  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm

may be worth doing a googlequest for coverage of different providers in the different locations on your trip...some can be better than others in different areas of the country...

from a similar question on another board, i know that there are data sim vending machines at heathrow and 'simlocal' outlets at a few of the terminals - it may be easier to get it sorted before you start bobbing your way around...one less thing to worry about...:D

https://www.simlocal.com/

not a recommendation by any means but it appears you can choose the best sim bundle for your needs for a 30 day period...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Aug 15, 2017 2:59 pm

I'd rather have a recommend from someone for a specific provider. Are the sims good UK wide?
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 15, 2017 3:16 pm

yep, should be...

coverage is often a bit shonkier in the more rural spots, especially on lower ground...fall's on ee which is one of the major ones...absorbed orange and t-mobile, iirc, and bt are using them for bt mobile which i suppose is a positive in terms of coverage, they;re not going to use a dodgy one...she gets a signal most places but can struggle in the really rural spots...problem is, that's only really focusing on the south west...ee might get brilliant coverage up in scotland...;)
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

this is an ee coverage map for uk...may give you an idea...

UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 15, 2017 3:21 pm

just checked the other major providers - 3, 02 & vodafone and ee seems to have the densest coverage...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 15, 2017 5:54 pm

I bought one and the airport last week and it didn't work. Took it into the 3 shop in London and he said it's not the first he's heard of ones being sold in the airport not working. Might be better to go to the network's shop in town and make sure they set it up before you leave.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Aug 15, 2017 6:43 pm

I would go with EE, they're the big player with the best coverage. Can't see a pay as you go sim though with more than 4GB for 15 quid.
https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-as-you-go-phones
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 15, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:I bought one and the airport last week and it didn't work. Took it into the 3 shop in London and he said it's not the first he's heard of ones being sold in the airport not working. Might be better to go to the network's shop in town and make sure they set it up before you leave.

aye, that simslocal place has mixed reviews, to be polite...;)

i'd find the nearest convenient ee shop to heathrow, or on your way to cambridge, ask them for the best package for your needs and, as above, get them to set it up before you leave...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 15, 2017 7:21 pm

jamest wrote:I would go with EE, they're the big player with the best coverage. Can't see a pay as you go sim though with more than 4GB for 15 quid.
https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-as-you-go-phones

they seem to be available...theyre on amazon and ebay, though that's not convenient..argos have them, it seems...

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/

ee online seem to go up to 5gb

https://shop.ee.co.uk/preloaded-data-sims

but you can add data on...i think you;d pay more in an actual ee shop but they'd be able to finetune to your needs more, i suppose...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Tesco has pay as you go SIMs, for a pretty good tariff, as I remember. I used to have one when we lived in Belgium, to use when we took our holidays in Scotland. I've had it out of the networks for over a year, and upon my return it worked fine, retaining my prior balance.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 15, 2017 7:38 pm

i'm on a tesco contract and quite happy with them...coverage can be very iffy in more rural areas, though, so depends how 'off-road' macdoc's going...they're 02 so the coverage map looks fairly similar but i do know fall has better chance of a signal in the countryside than i do...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 15, 2017 11:03 pm

My folks have 3 and EE sims between them. Up in the boonies top end of Scotland and in the Highlands, they dropped off the grid regularly for days at a time when touring. It's a balance thing. There aren't many people up there and those that live there don't want the mountains covered in a shit load of masts to get coverage in all the glens.
There was a time when we coped running around up there without mobile phones and we're still here to tell the tale. My youth was full of hiking and fell running, the things weren't even a thing back then. I used to carry a couple of small parachute flares from my army days in case I really got in the shit. Never used them.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 16, 2017 12:56 am

...and look how you turned out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Macdoc » Aug 16, 2017 2:07 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
I bought one and the airport last week and it didn't work. Took it into the 3 shop in London and he said it's not the first he's heard of ones being sold in the airport not working. Might be better to go to the network's shop in town and make sure they set it up before you leave.

i'd find the nearest convenient ee shop to heathrow, or on your way to cambridge, ask them for the best package for your needs and, as above, get them to set it up before you leave..

that's the kind of advice that's really helpful. Thanks

While we are on the subject....wondering if I should snag TomTom UK - nah ...this looks good

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps-me ... mpt=uo%3D8

Grabbed UK ...
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 16, 2017 3:46 am

Your mobile phone is GSM?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 16, 2017 9:17 am

Macdoc wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

i'd find the nearest convenient ee shop to heathrow, or on your way to cambridge, ask them for the best package for your needs and, as above, get them to set it up before you leave..

that's the kind of advice that's really helpful. Thanks

While we are on the subject....wondering if I should snag TomTom UK - nah ...this looks good

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps-me ... mpt=uo%3D8

Grabbed UK ...

That looks a handy thing to have as a back up.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion