Opinions on the Maturity "Crisis"

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Opinions on the Maturity "Crisis"

#61  Postby Sendraks » Jun 26, 2019 3:59 pm

My maturity crisis is getting up in the night to pee, possibly multiple times.

I'm also tired a lot, which is another crisis of my maturing years.

I could go on but, I need a nap.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2019 4:03 pm

tuco wrote:It's bullshit unless demonstrated otherwise and should be dealt with as such.

Certainly. :thumbup:

"A recently published study shows that Millennials and Post-Millennials may suffer from an unprecedented Maturity Crisis. Robin D. Blind, Adjunct Professor of Liberty University, has found that kids become resistant to maturing by keeping their noses glued to their smartphone screens instead of having them bashed in during schoolyard tussles. Kids these days spend on average 858% more time doing the former than kids born just 15 years earlier."
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Sometimes when I buy my cheese there's no extra mature cheddar, ooooh, that ticks me off. Then sometimes when they do have it I neglect to wrap it properly for fridge storage and so get rind, ooooh, that ticks me off too. I's also probably one of the most expensive foods I buy on the regular, oooooooh, that ticks me off tooooo. I could go on...but...

On a serious note, age ain't nothing but a number and all my favourite people never fully mature into some kind of Victorian stereotype of grownupness. Keep smiling peeps.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Mr. Skeptic wrote:Boomer's (at least the higher class ones) apathy towards the long term survival of our species is almost psychopathic.

Thanks for labelling my generation as psychopaths. I have been an environmentalist since about 1966. My middle sister was arrested in 1980 while protesting the proposed damning of the Franklin River in Tasmania. We boomers were not anything like the conformists to the establishment you make us out to be. Serious opposition to the powers that be was not confined to Paris in 1968, but not having been born then you probably have no clue about what went on at that time. And none of us could be described as being members of the lower class.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby LucidFlight » Jun 26, 2019 4:19 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Sometimes when I buy my cheese there's no extra mature cheddar, ooooh, that ticks me off. Then sometimes when they do have it I neglect to wrap it properly for fridge storage and so get rind, ooooh, that ticks me off too. I's also probably one of the most expensive foods I buy on the regular, oooooooh, that ticks me off tooooo. I could go on...but...

On a serious note, age ain't nothing but a number and all my favourite people never fully mature into some kind of Victorian stereotype of grownupness. Keep smiling peeps.

My nearest Tesco doesn't carry Jarlsberg cheese, as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I'm looking in the right place, next to all the other cheeses, but I can never seem to find it. I might have to ask.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Hermit wrote:My middle sister was arrested in 1980 while protesting the proposed damning of the Franklin River in Tasmania.

Damn rivers! Especially the ones that catch fire.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:Laklak reminds us of Daltrey's Prayer.

Laklak was born old.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:My middle sister was arrested in 1980 while protesting the proposed damning of the Franklin River in Tasmania.

Damn rivers! Especially the ones that catch fire.

Thames the breaks.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 26, 2019 4:25 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Sometimes when I buy my cheese there's no extra mature cheddar, ooooh, that ticks me off. Then sometimes when they do have it I neglect to wrap it properly for fridge storage and so get rind, ooooh, that ticks me off too. I's also probably one of the most expensive foods I buy on the regular, oooooooh, that ticks me off tooooo. I could go on...but...

My nearest Tesco doesn't carry Jarlsberg cheese, as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I'm looking in the right place, next to all the other cheeses, but I can never seem to find it. I might have to ask.

Come unto cheeses -- it is the whey to salivation.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jun 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr. Skeptic wrote:I'm just thankful that Gen Z and Millennials attitudes are much better than Boomers or even Gen X (my parent's generation). This is especially true for the future of our planet, in the long term anyway. Boomer's (at least the higher class ones) apathy towards the long term survival of our species is almost psychopathic.

It's always a great time to be old. Don't make fun of your elders just because they're nearing the end of the line.

Here's some reading that should really stoke your teenage angst:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ca/592336/

Hermit wrote:members of older generations who assert that the currently young generations are especially problematic, make those assertions because they don't like change. In short, stipulating an extraordinary maturity crisis is bullshit.

I don't want to suggest anything extraordinary is going on as far as generational crises are concerned. Climate change is a bugger, though.

I'd just ask Mr. S to stop pretending that teenage angst is anything new. When I was a young whippersnapper, and I saw what looked like a long, rough road ahead, it really looked to me like the older generation was making a mess of things. So, you know, I was on the barricades, too. Problem is, everybody ages. Laklak reminds us of Daltrey's Prayer.

I think I should not say #Notall. I should have clarified earlier that I was mostly talking about our politicians, big business owners, and other likely corrupt individuals of that nature. I'm sad to say I still very vulnerable to teenage angst or much fancier tribalism. I know everybody's gonna grow old eventually, I just think Millennials attitudes are better than what the media or other sources of information entails. After all, labels like "Millennial", "Boomer", and "Post-Millennial", are just words that only have their meaning because of an agreement on what the definition ought to be, or, at very least, is. Labels don't meaning any unless we want them to, and I and others sadly are quite hypocritical for using these words to talking about generations when this just creates an "us vs them" mentality. That's the problem or at the least, one of the problems.
Mr. Skeptic

Name: Owen Terry

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 26, 2019 4:28 pm

LucidFlight wrote:

My needs are very basic and simple :lol: (Jarl what?!)

As nebulous, vague and subjective terms go "maturity" is surely up there with the best of them. Like, for males isn't it immediately after we shoot our first deer? Etc ad inf.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jun 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Hermit wrote:
Mr. Skeptic wrote:Boomer's (at least the higher class ones) apathy towards the long term survival of our species is almost psychopathic.

Thanks for labelling my generation as psychopaths. I have been an environmentalist since about 1966. My middle sister was arrested in 1980 while protesting the proposed damning of the Franklin River in Tasmania. We boomers were not anything like the conformists to the establishment you make us out to be. Serious opposition to the powers that be was not confined to Paris in 1968, but not having been born then you probably have no clue about what went on at that time. And none of us could be described as being members of the lower class.

I'm deeply sorry sir. I sadly fall into the same traps and failings that many have made when making these (in hindsight), derogatory and dehumanizing statements about your generation. I have made those of ignorance of history, and I now know better than that. Thanks for the correction.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jun 26, 2019 4:35 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:

My needs are very basic and simple :lol: (Jarl what?!)

As nebulous, vague and subjective terms go "maturity" is surely up there with the best of them. Like, for males isn't it immediately after we shoot our first deer? Etc ad inf.

I think that was my main point really. We should just stop acting like "maturity" as any meaning beyond what we agree on. That's what langue is and need to know that. We ought to, in many such cases, teach our children to love learning and how to learn. Then, in such an ideal case, teach them how to become an adult early on. If we don't, we'll be stuck in the rut that we are now. Assuming the economy is good as well.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby laklak » Jun 26, 2019 4:41 pm

Hermit wrote:

Laklak was born old.

Oi! I'm as immature and self-centered as any young punk. Ask anyone, particularly Mrs. Lak.

Disneyworld sucks massive hairy donkey balls. I've been several times, and I drove there every time. I did generally have a firearm in the car, but that's hardly surprising. There are all sorts of dangers lurking out there, crazed druggies and illegal rapists and suchlike, it's best to be proactive. Every time I went I was reminded just how donkey ball suckingly awful it actually was.

It doesn't help to be drunk, and in fact they'll throw you out. I did smoke a joint on Tom Sawyer's Island once. It took the edge off and kept me from physically attacking that giant fucking rat.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Fallible » Jun 26, 2019 4:47 pm

Keep It Real wrote:On a serious note, age ain't nothing but a number...

That’s what R Kelly said.

Just sayin. :coffee:
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out of that sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Well now, there's a horrific truth :hide: I was always a pure fan of that saying...oh well...
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Fallible » Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Sorry! :lol:
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out of that sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2019 5:02 pm

laklak wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Laklak was born old.

Oi! I'm as immature and self-centered as any young punk.

You're confusing infantility with juvenilia.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#79  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Fallible wrote:Sorry! :lol:

It could always be rephrased but becomes somewhat less punchy methinks. "Age ain't nothing but a number, except regarding free TV licences, buss-passes, state pensions, mandatory schooling, voting privileges, legal drinking and smoking, the ability to give consent, the ability to celebrate a Golden Wedding Anniversaries and the requirement to have one's birth registered."
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 26, 2019 5:18 pm

And, of course, criminal liability

Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion