Political and religious ideology.

The UK missed a bullet by rejecting Corbyn's anti Semetism.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Political and religious ideology.

#41  Postby Fallible » Jan 15, 2020 7:32 am

Mr. Skeptic wrote:
Fallible wrote:If you agree, it would seem strange that you single Islam out for the accusation. You cannot appeal to the fundamentals of Islam to bolster your point and then also appeal to later secularisation of Christianity for why it is different. Christianity has not changed since the New Testament in terms of fundamentals. The rest is people applying the gospels as they see fit. It therefore doesn’t really matter if Christianity has become ‘secularised’ by its adherents in recent history.

Most moderate Muslims hold right and even alt-right (to our prescriptive) views on society. That's because the majority of Islamic countries are reactionary. Most moderate Christians often don't. They don't believe in the subjugation of women, the LGBTQ+ and minorities. Islam and Christianity have both fundamentalists (true followers), but Islam has the 'moderate' reactionary powerbase from which to pull from. Christianity simply doesn't.


As this stands, it is all simply your opinion. You’re not in a position to know what ‘most’ of a group you appear to have little first-hand experience of, do. Also, you didn’t address my point. It was you yourself who distinguished between Islam and Muslims, but you are using the two interchangeably to try to argue against Islam. Is your problem with the religion or the individuals who adhere to it?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51101
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Political and religious ideology.

#42  Postby Sendraks » Jan 15, 2020 11:15 am

The UK missed a bullet by rejecting Corbyn's anti Semetism.


Did it?
Given it has yet to be established that Corbyn is anti-semetic and the right-wing media seems to have lost all interest in this supposedly important issue, we may never know the truth.*


*We know the truth, Corbyn is not now and never has been anti-semetic.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15231
Age: 103
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Political and religious ideology.

#43  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jan 15, 2020 5:35 pm

Fallible wrote:
Mr. Skeptic wrote:
Fallible wrote:If you agree, it would seem strange that you single Islam out for the accusation. You cannot appeal to the fundamentals of Islam to bolster your point and then also appeal to later secularisation of Christianity for why it is different. Christianity has not changed since the New Testament in terms of fundamentals. The rest is people applying the gospels as they see fit. It therefore doesn’t really matter if Christianity has become ‘secularised’ by its adherents in recent history.

Most moderate Muslims hold right and even alt-right (to our prescriptive) views on society. That's because the majority of Islamic countries are reactionary. Most moderate Christians often don't. They don't believe in the subjugation of women, the LGBTQ+ and minorities. Islam and Christianity have both fundamentalists (true followers), but Islam has the 'moderate' reactionary powerbase from which to pull from. Christianity simply doesn't.


As this stands, it is all simply your opinion. You’re not in a position to know what ‘most’ of a group you appear to have little first-hand experience of, do. Also, you didn’t address my point. It was you yourself who distinguished between Islam and Muslims, but you are using the two interchangeably to try to argue against Islam. Is your problem with the religion or the individuals who adhere to it?

My problem is with the religion of course. Beliefs guide actions and people are the result of their material conditions, so I'm not necessarily concerned with people. Yes, it is my opinion, that's all I can really give you. An informed one based on research and how politics influences and is often comorbid with religion and visa versa. I can still have good justifications to say what I think a particular group is and does. I never met any Mormons, JW's, or Presbyterians personally, but I can say what I think they do and revise my thoughts in proportion to the evidence. I thought you already known this, it's what I'm doing with Islamists. If you have a reactionary culture and government, you are going to see reactionaries and reactionary viewpoints, eve among the moderates.
Mr. Skeptic
 
Name: Owen Terry
Posts: 142

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest