Post up your internet speeds

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Post up your internet speeds

#121  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 22, 2016 12:43 pm

BlackBart wrote:Define sluggish? I'm still on adsl over copper which gives me a download speed of 7Mbs, upload of 1Mb and a latency of 78ms which gives me perfect HD video streaming and more or less instant web page loading. So,you should be seeing reasonable good download performance - it's possible that your problems lie elsewhere.

I am the same but my download is 17.7 which is fine for me. I use streaming for sports I cant get on tv. Some strange links but they all work fine when I connect my laptop to my tv.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby BlackBart » Jul 22, 2016 12:49 pm

james's connection is fibre not cable modem (Which is co-ax to the exchange) - it's probably copper from his house to the street cabinet then fibre to the exchange - as I understand it there's no contention ratio set for UK fibre as the take up for it isn't particularly high yet. There is a contention ratio for ADSL which is 50 connections per line. james should still be getting a reasonably good connection.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 22, 2016 12:55 pm

I am still running over the old telephone connection. There fibre available but mine is dead cheap and I dont need anymore. Being a client for 20 odd years why change?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#124  Postby BlackBart » Jul 22, 2016 1:09 pm

jamest wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Define sluggish? I'm still on adsl over copper which gives me a download speed of 7Mbs, upload of 1Mb and a latency of 78ms which gives me perfect HD video streaming and more or less instant web page loading. So,you should be seeing reasonable good download performance - it's possible that your problems lie elsewhere.

Yes, it's all relative, though compared to how fast it was in the beginning (about 18 months ago) I've had problems with pages loading slowly or not loading at all (time-out). This is on more than one device.

Are these devices connected to the router physically or over wifi?

My main gripe is that I should be expecting (as I pay for it!) download speeds of 60+ mbps and upload speeds of 20+ mbps, and according to several independent test sites I'm not getting anywhere near that.

You certainly won't be getting an actual download speed 60+ mbps in the UK over fibre - if you get 24Mbps in the UK you're doing very well.

I have no idea what the problem is. I'm still on hold (almost an hour now) so don't know what BT will have to say.

Well, best of luck with it.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#125  Postby jamest » Jul 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Okay, well after waiting an hour and 15 minutes (ffs!) I finally got through to a helpful chap from Wales (I'm wondering if there's a problem with their site in India?). He "refreshed the line" whatever that means and there has been a miraculous turnaround in results. For instance, if I do the test now from the link in the OP these are the results:

ping: 30 ms (33+)... download speed: 69.94 (15 ish)... upload speed: 18.93 (7-ish)

... where the bracketed data is my previous results. So, whatever the fugg he did, it made a big difference. He also informed me that I should be turning the plug to the hub on-and-off every 10 days and it will help a lot to maintain these figures. Not exactly sure why and I wasn't sure if I should feel like a dummy for not having done that, but from now on I will.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#126  Postby jamest » Jul 22, 2016 1:27 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Are these devices connected to the router physically or over wifi?

Wifi.

My main gripe is that I should be expecting (as I pay for it!) download speeds of 60+ mbps and upload speeds of 20+ mbps, and according to several independent test sites I'm not getting anywhere near that.

You certainly won't be getting an actual download speed 60+ mbps in the UK over fibre - if you get 24Mbps in the UK you're doing very well.

I am, honest guv! Tell me how to do a snapshot of the results on the test and I'll show you.
Last edited by jamest on Jul 22, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#127  Postby tuco » Jul 22, 2016 1:29 pm

jamest wrote:Okay, well after waiting an hour and 15 minutes (ffs!) I finally got through to a helpful chap from Wales (I'm wondering if there's a problem with their site in India?). He "refreshed the line" whatever that means and there has been a miraculous turnaround in results. For instance, if I do the test now from the link in the OP these are the results:

ping: 30 ms (33+)... download speed: 69.94 (15 ish)... upload speed: 18.93 (7-ish)

... where the bracketed data is my previous results. So, whatever the fugg he did, it made a big difference. He also informed me that I should be turning the plug to the hub on-and-off every 10 days and it will help a lot to maintain these figures. Not exactly sure why and I wasn't sure if I should feel like a dummy for not having done that, but from now on I will.

lol?

IT Crowd :P
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby tuco » Jul 24, 2016 7:08 pm

tuco wrote:
NineBerry wrote:Image

Result at my new place (Moved a month ago) about the same as at the old place.

Leecher confirmed :P

Yup, big city leechers

tuco

Print view this post

#129  Postby tolman » Sep 18, 2016 10:41 am

Enjoying the free speed upgrade from BT:

The ping figure was surprising, so I ran it again twice, then with a new server, and got 15ms all three times, which suggests that maybe the odd luckily-rapid ping can give a rather distorted result.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#130  Postby Macdoc » Sep 18, 2016 12:24 pm

one last thing to worry about moving to Aus :D
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#131  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Morocco's internet is an absolute joke. I've finally got the whopping (up to) 12MB/s I pay $45 a month for. Here's what happened...

Day 1: Wake up to find my internet not working. Find out that my previous contract has finished and they just didn't bother to ask if I wanted to renew. I assumed I'd signed up for a deal that just rolled over and they sent you a bill.
Day 2: Sit around all day for a bloke to show up to fix it. No-one comes.
Day 3: Landlady comes round with a technician. I pay for 3 months up front and I'm told that it will come back on tomorrow.
Day 4: Doesn't come back on. Told that the technician will come at 2pm the next day.
Day 5: Technician doesn't show. All my contacts have switched their phones off. They all suddenly get back to me at 7pm to tell me that the company is now closed until after the holiday.
Day 6-8: go on holiday to a place with internet.
Day 9: A man comes round to fix my internet. Fixes it, but it's at 2MB/s rather than the 12MB/s I paid for. He then claims he needs to install a new cable to get 12MB/s, despite it being just over a week since I was getting that on all the same equipment. He can't do this until Monday morning.
Day 10-11: Two days of slow internet.
Day 12: Shows up on Monday afternoon, doesn't even apologise for being 4 hours late, and I finally have the internet I pay for.

Am I entitled to a refund for the 11 days that I didn't have the internet I paid for? Am I fuck. I hate living in shit holes sometimes.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#132  Postby johnbrandt » Sep 28, 2016 8:15 am

Welcome to Australia.... :roll:
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 28, 2016 9:11 am

:ahrr:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#134  Postby DoctorE » Sep 28, 2016 9:24 am

Getting 1gig any time now :) Penis extension
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#135  Postby felltoearth » Jun 15, 2018 1:46 am

Installed in the new house. Snappy!

Fibre optic all the way to the modem. 30$ per month for the first year. Awesome deal.

0FDAEF19-0256-4BDE-8CC6-35395DBC79B6.png
0FDAEF19-0256-4BDE-8CC6-35395DBC79B6.png (16.57 KiB) Viewed 828 times
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Hermit » Jun 15, 2018 2:38 am

Not particularly fast, though adequate for my requirements. But what's this? Faster than 71% of AU? What the fuck did the $56 billion National Broadband Network project achieve? I'm still on ADSL. I have to switch over to NBN by September because the old network will be unplugged by then. Looking at what is on offer, I'll be paying the same rate for the same speed then as now.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#137  Postby Macdoc » Jun 15, 2018 2:58 am

They cheaped out, tried copper which they were told would not work and now ur fucked nationally.

Lucky we got on the fiber which happened to go right by us.
Copper especially in wet areas just will not cut it.

Stupid fucks

The national broadband network’s reliance on copper has led to a higher fault rate and slower internet speeds but helped deliver the network faster and cheaper, its outgoing chief executive has said.

In a position paper released on Friday, Bill Morrow is frank about the challenges of fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) technology and use of the copper network, a signature policy of Malcolm Turnbull in his time as communications minister.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Hermit » Jun 15, 2018 3:38 am

Macdoc wrote:They cheaped out, tried copper which they were told would not work and now ur fucked nationally.

Lucky we got on the fiber which happened to go right by us.
Copper especially in wet areas just will not cut it.

Stupid fucks

The national broadband network’s reliance on copper has led to a higher fault rate and slower internet speeds but helped deliver the network faster and cheaper, its outgoing chief executive has said.

In a position paper released on Friday, Bill Morrow is frank about the challenges of fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) technology and use of the copper network, a signature policy of Malcolm Turnbull in his time as communications minister.

The fibre to the node design is not even cheaper than the fibre to the premises project Labor was going to finance. As I mentioned above, the project has blown out to $56 billion. The original cost estimate given by the conservative government that axed Labor's $37.4 billion plan was $29.5 billion.

Maximum theoretical speed of the FTTN system is 100Mb/s, and that would cost me rather more than I am paying now.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#139  Postby Macdoc » Jun 15, 2018 3:46 am

320 down ...21 up
fast tonight

we still have not got what was promised in terms of national availability tho.

4k and 5k media is wonderful streaming full bore. :dance:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am

Bit better than it used to be.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion