Pretentious

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Pretentious

#41  Postby jamest » Oct 10, 2017 8:09 pm

I would love to have one of those large ultra HD wotsits. Purely for the picture/sound quality though!
They came, they saw, they concurred.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Macdoc » Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Now now Jamest....don't be......P :D

Just wait for OLED tho the last of the LEDs are very good....they don't compare at all.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#43  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm

The idea that owning something that is not actually needed is more important than paying for it is completely alien to me
Even if I was the richest man in the world I would not have any form of credit. Not that I would need it but even so. Now I
think from a psychological perspective credit is attractive for it provides instant gratification while delaying responsibility
Even though the payment should come before the purchase rather than the other way round. I have had that mentality all
my life and will have it the rest of it. For I have never been attracted to credit at all even though I have always been poor
I simply live within my means and if I want something that I can not afford straight away then I just save up for it till I can
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#44  Postby Macdoc » Oct 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Credit is just a tool as cash is....use it stupidly or wisely. You cannot really run a business needing inventory and carrying receivables without finance unless you are well off already.
Example ...I could pay cash for a new van .....but then I have to reduce inventory by an equal amount restricting my income.

Financing cars is very inexpensive for cost of capital ( it's a marketing tool for them . So it's far better for me to pay $400 a month and keep $20k worth of inventory turning over every three months ....at 14% margin and 4 turns a year that's 11,200 in profit in one year against a vehicle finance cost of $4800 which does include some principle and which the government lets me write off entirely on my taxes.

On occasion ....those flash cars some businessmen drive are actually suggested by their accountants to get them down a bracket......the rich get richer .... :nono:
Rinse and repeat.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Pebble » Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm

I would say pretension is buying something you cannot afford to impress others. Sometimes it pays off, say to get a contract, but usually it simply results in deprivation in other areas of life.
High end cars are a pleasure to drive, but are a luxury - can you afford the luxury? If so end of discussion
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Macdoc » Oct 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Yes tho you could say buying to impress others is pretension regardless if you can afford it or not ..they are slightly different positions.

Art comes to mind in this ...do you buy what you like or a known artist that might draw admiring comments from others even tho you are "meh" on it,
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#47  Postby The_Piper » Oct 10, 2017 11:05 pm

I buy what I like. My framed squirrel prints and photos aren't going to impress many, but they impress me. Mucho. :mrgreen:
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Blackadder » Oct 11, 2017 4:30 am

Pretentiousness doesn't always have to involve financial outlay. Once a week, after rehearsals with the choir that I sing in, a few of us head across the street to a bar for a couple of drinks before we head home. The conversation is often about music and there are maybe three or four of us who like to impress each other with our knowledge of various musical genres.

We always lose to Fred. Fred is a retired municipal employee who spent a lifetime doing a job that bored him for people that he hated. But every minute of his leisure time for the last 40 years seems to have been spent travellng the UK listening to musicians of every type, but ideally those whom no-one has ever heard of. Fred frequently forgets to respond to important emails, turns up late for every rehearsal and lives in a state of utter chaos. But he can name individual members of some obscure jazz quartet that he listened to 20 years ago in some basement dive in London's East End and he can talk absolute bollocks about the keyboard player's technique, even though Fred doesn't play a musical instrument, and then tell you what other unknown jazz groups that keyboard player went on to play with.

Faced with such a withering, encyclopedic onslaught of useless musical trivia, my own pretentions to know my musical shit simply die and I try to turn the conversation to cars and how to afford a Mercedes Benz on less than £300 a month.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Macdoc » Oct 11, 2017 4:48 am

hehe - good post ... :thumbup:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby BlackBart » Oct 11, 2017 6:48 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Even if I was the richest man in the world I would not have any form of credit.

Yeah, um, pretty sure if you were the richest man in the world you wouldn't need any credit.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby don't get me started » Oct 11, 2017 7:30 am

The thread title is open to a variety of interpretations. I'll go with the notion of splashing cash around in a way that would have been unthinkable to my younger self.

I spend a lot on going overseas to conferences. I get a research budget that I can use for these trips, but it doesn't stretch that far and I end up self-financing a lot of my trips.

One little indulgence I allow myself is opting for the reserved seat on the train on the way home from work. I could get a seat on a regular express train as I get on at the terminal station so if the waiting train is full, I just have to stand in line on the platform and within 10 minutes the next train has arrived and I can get a seat.

Nah, I go to the ticket office and get the reserved seat premium express...all super duper reclining seats with way more room than you'd get in business class on a plane. Now, it's considered a bit déclassé to crack open a can of beer on a regular commuter express.

But the unwritten rule is that on reserved seat trains cracking open a can or two is normal. So I pay for my delux seat, get a cold can of Asahi Super Dry from the kiosk, take my seat and off I go. Puts an extra 1,000 yen on my commuting cost, which mounts up over the weeks and months I guess, but...I can afford it. (The other unwritten rule is not to crack open your can until the doors have closed and the train is underway....as soon as we glide forwards there is a symphony of ring pulls sounding as the commuters kick back and relax.)

On occasion I stay later than I should boozing with the other proffs. In this case I go back on the Shinkansen (bullet train). This is a good deal more expensive than the normal trains, but really quick, so I can make the last commuter train home, even if I stagger out of the bar really late. Train beer rules apply here as well!! :thumbup:
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm

I only travel first class in trains when travelling in Europe. It is much quieter and far more room and often there is a waiter serving your gastronomic needs for free.

When I flew to Queensland I went business (TG!). Once I decided to go to Mexico to my sister's for xmas. This was the 24th. I booked first class and got a seat and arrived on xmas eve. There were only three of us on board in first class. A great time was had. I flew back three days later without booking. The advantage of first class.

BTW you can lease a Mercedes-Benz A class for €393 per month here. No down payment, insurance, repair bills, petrol and car replacement if it breaks down or is involved in an accident.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Macdoc » Oct 11, 2017 12:53 pm

I flew one leg of my last Australia trip upgraded to business on the Dreamliner and thought it was $600 not well spent.
I can sit for long hours in aircraft and happy to take my own food these days. Cheaper is better for me tho I am a bit fussy on the aircraft....A380, Dreamliner and there is a new Airbus ...can't recall the model.
The 757 I flew on from Iceland was also comfy but slow boarding as single aisle.

As I ride motorcycle long distances....any other vehicle is more comfortable so cost is my main driver for flying.
Little experience in trains and commuting is walking downstairs :smoke:

•••

Yes pretension has a lot of angles and I wanted it to promote discussion and some "anecdotes:".
Keep em coming.

For instance I know a lot of home owners here in the suburb I live in are house proud and I have no time for that at all. I like our junglely house in Australia - function over form for me in shelter ....other gear tho ...cameras, computers etc aethestics have a play and I'll pay for quality both in form and function....cars and motorcycles....not so much....utility rules. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 11, 2017 1:57 pm

I use two monitors. Surely that counts for something.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby BlackBart » Oct 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Rachel 'Two Monitors' Bronwyn.

:)
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:BTW you can lease a Mercedes-Benz A class for €393 per month here. No down payment, insurance, repair bills, petrol and car replacement if it breaks down or is involved in an accident.

You can do that in most places, but the problem is that you typically have to commit to 48 months to get that kind of deal. So you're basically agreeing to give them near 19 grand for a car you don't get to keep at the end of it. If you're going to do that, you might as well just buy a car on credit in the first place. And according to most reviews, they're overpriced crap anyway. Just get a Golf. You could get a GTI for the same price.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 12, 2017 11:00 am

24 months here. You are paying for service. Why pay so much for a car you dont want to keep. No repair or fuel costs. Including insurance and replacement service. For €2 a month they give you winter tyres. 80% of the market is lease. People dont want the hassle. For €180 p.m. you can get a lease.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Blackadder » Oct 13, 2017 10:05 am

A Fred update.

This week, after he destroyed us with his knowledge of Baroque singing styles and how they differ from modern operatic voices, I gave Fred a lift to his home. The next day I got a text message from him saying, “you didn’t find my wallet in your car did you?” There ensued a frantic search in my car. Nothing. I texted back the bad news, feeling really bad for him.

A couple of hours later I got a cheerful message saying “ my wife came home and found it in 10 minutes!”

He’s hilariously useless but such a nice guy you can’t help but love him.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Animavore » Oct 13, 2017 10:25 am

I thought this was a discussion thread for Blade Runner: 2049.

Zing!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#60  Postby laklak » Oct 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Swazi Morning.jpg
Swazi Morning.jpg (94.13 KiB) Viewed 49 times

Morning view. Don't know if it's pretentious or not, but it's beautiful. There are monkeys in the trees at the bottom of the yard.

I fucking love Swaziland.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion