RationalSkepticism.org Podcast (SUBMISSIONS OPEN)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: RationalSkepticism.org Podcast (SUBMISSIONS OPEN)

#341  Postby natselrox » Jan 01, 2011 11:40 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I would love to hear a podcast on Psi research. It would be great if we could get Jerome and Mr. Samsa to feature on it.

:drool:

GenesForLife wrote:
natselrox wrote:Suggest a topic and a possible date and time. :cheers:

(Just don't make it too specific a topic! :D )

Third Saturday :P , 11:00 PM Indian Standard Time (GMT +5:30)
Topic - open to suggestions.

Deal.

Propose a few topics. :cheers:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#342  Postby GenesForLife » Jan 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Anti-vaxxers.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#343  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Jan 01, 2011 12:05 pm

GenesForLife wrote:Anti-vaxxers.

Great Idea. There is a fair amount of material there.

I think someone has to decide whether they want to podcast to be about providing information directly or simply having a discussion. The first podcast was a simle discussion, which provided a lot of information without sounding like a lecture. It had a very natural feel to it. Other podcasts go in a different way by providing information directly. For the anti-vaxx topic, would you have each person do a bit of research and talk about what they found, or would you start up a conversation about anti-vaxx and see where it goes?
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#344  Postby GenesForLife » Jan 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
GenesForLife wrote:Anti-vaxxers.

Great Idea. There is a fair amount of material there.

I think someone has to decide whether they want to podcast to be about providing information directly or simply having a discussion. The first podcast was a simle discussion, which provided a lot of information without sounding like a lecture. It had a very natural feel to it. Other podcasts go in a different way by providing information directly. For the anti-vaxx topic, would you have each person do a bit of research and talk about what they found, or would you start up a conversation about anti-vaxx and see where it goes?

Convo... you never know what you come up with and things usually get very interesting.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#345  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Jan 01, 2011 12:11 pm

I agree. It also helps if at least two of the people in the discussion are opposed in some sense or another. Whether wholly opposed in their approach to the topic or partially opposed in how they view a certain aspect of the topic. This is why the last podcast sounded so good. Jerome was coming from a slightly different angle and was more than willing to play devil's advocate.

However, on the topic of anti-vaxx, I wouldn't want to give an anti-vaxxer any air time. Perhaps, it would be interesting to have someone who could air some legitimate concerns about vaccinations. Rather than the ridiculous statements about autism and such.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#346  Postby jerome » Jan 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Anti-vaxxers? I know a little on the history of public health vaccination campaigns and the first great USA anti-flu jab panic, and the real stats and tragedy that turned out to be (the vaccine was safe, but there was a huge refusal rate, and ensuing deaths). Early vaccines were not so safe of course - I am typing this a few dozen yards from Jenner's old house. Might be nice to give it some historical flavour. I'll happily prepare some notes or references for whoever is talking if they wany them, as I have already been on one podcast so someone elses turn this time. :)

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#347  Postby reddix » Jan 01, 2011 11:36 pm

I work with mothers during the postnatal period and the issue of vaccines, "are they safe?" comes up frequently. I could possibly give some perspective from a parent's point of view.

Also, I might add, I think the parenting 'industry' on the whole is absolutely rife with misinformation and woo peddlers or people with an agenda to sell, many new parents simply do not have the tools to filter all the information coming at them (me included). Maybe a future podcast could be devoted to debunking some of the parenting myths. :dopey: please.
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#348  Postby divagreen » Jan 01, 2011 11:43 pm

reddix wrote:I work with mothers during the postnatal period and the issue of vaccines, "are they safe?" comes up frequently. I could possibly give some perspective from a parent's point of view.

Also, I might add, I think the parenting 'industry' on the whole is absolutely rife with misinformation and woo peddlers or people with an agenda to sell, many new parents simply do not have the tools to filter all the information coming at them (me included). Maybe a future podcast could be devoted to debunking some of the parenting myths. :dopey: please.

I think that this would be a great topic! :grin:
I never did mind the little things.
divagreen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#349  Postby jerome » Jan 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Actualy I think Parenting myrths would be n awesome, important and useful topic. And more importantly it's not been doen much, so yeah, why not take tht as a theme for the next podcast? I'm not parent, but I think it would be a very good podcast if you have material for it, and I'd love to listen to it

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#350  Postby natselrox » Jan 02, 2011 4:44 am

Vaccines it is then!

And it won't be the same without you, Jerome! Don't you dare quit on us! :D

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#351  Postby GenesForLife » Jan 02, 2011 4:54 am

I can address the possible safety issues in real life and what is being done about it, and the production of subunit vaccines, for instance, that and a bit of elementary epidemiology, you, Natselrox, should be able to deliberate more about that, Jerome can give his historical perspective, throw in Reddix for her perspective, too and you have the mix for a nice podcast.

How long is it going to be?
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#352  Postby natselrox » Jan 02, 2011 5:01 am

GenesForLife wrote:I can address the possible safety issues in real life and what is being done about it, and the production of subunit vaccines, for instance, that and a bit of elementary epidemiology, you, Natselrox, should be able to deliberate more about that, Jerome can give his historical perspective, throw in Reddix for her perspective, too and you have the mix for a nice podcast.

Oi! I'm not participating. I'm just helping to organise it! :naughty:

It should go on for anything between 30-60 minutes but we can always edit the thing afterwards. :cheers:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#353  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Jan 02, 2011 5:04 am

If I have my new laptop by the time this thing is recorded, I could talk about the Australian Vaccination Network, how they have contributed to the death of four babies in Australia from whooping cough, and how the Australian Skeptics have virtually shut down all of their operations.
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#354  Postby natselrox » Jan 02, 2011 5:07 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:If I have my new laptop by the time this thing is recorded, I could talk about the Australian Vaccination Network, how they have contributed to the death of four babies in Australia from whooping cough, and how the Australian Skeptics have virtually shut down all of their operations.

:thumbup:

Someone should look up the Wakefield-Lancet saga. And I think Cali has a neat post about autism/vaccination.

And choose your adjectives well while describing Jenny McCarthy! :evilgrin:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#355  Postby GenesForLife » Jan 02, 2011 5:14 am

natselrox wrote:
GenesForLife wrote:I can address the possible safety issues in real life and what is being done about it, and the production of subunit vaccines, for instance, that and a bit of elementary epidemiology, you, Natselrox, should be able to deliberate more about that, Jerome can give his historical perspective, throw in Reddix for her perspective, too and you have the mix for a nice podcast.

It should go on for anything between 30-60 minutes but we can always edit the thing afterwards. :cheers:

Oi!, get involved, doc! :mrgreen:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#356  Postby natselrox » Jan 02, 2011 5:18 am

GenesForLife wrote:
natselrox wrote:

Oi!, get involved, doc! :mrgreen:

Let's see if we can gather up enough participants. Failing that, I can always come up with stupid jokes in Indian accent for comic effect. :smoke:

Will it be a good idea to start a new thread asking for people willing to participate and telling them about the date and time?

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#357  Postby GenesForLife » Jan 02, 2011 8:14 am

Yes, go ahead, please.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I would love to hear a podcast on Psi research. It would be great if we could get Jerome and Mr. Samsa to feature on it.

I'm flattered to get a mention, but: 1) I really don't know enough about psi research to hold a conversation on it (I just like wading through shoddy methodology after being pointed in the right direction by Jerome), and 2) there's no way I'm going to record my voice in a live chat!

:tongue:

The discussion on anti-vaxxers should be good. If people need help looking at the research on autism then I don't mind helping out; like with the idea that the autism increase isn't real, the differing prevalence rates between males and females, etc. I just don't want to be on the podcast.. :shifty:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#359  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Jan 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:

I'm flattered to get a mention, but: 1) I really don't know enough about psi research to hold a conversation on it (I just like wading through shoddy methodology after being pointed in the right direction by Jerome), and 2) there's no way I'm going to record my voice in a live chat!

:tongue:

The discussion on anti-vaxxers should be good. If people need help looking at the research on autism then I don't mind helping out; like with the idea that the autism increase isn't real, the differing prevalence rates between males and females, etc. I just don't want to be on the podcast.. :shifty:

Is it because you speak with all the charisma and eloquence as this guy?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJhxseQXeV8[/youtube]
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#360  Postby natselrox » Jan 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote: I just don't want to be on the podcast.. :shifty:

That Mickey Mouse voice... :grin:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion