RationalSkepticism.org Podcast (SUBMISSIONS OPEN)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: RationalSkepticism.org Podcast (SUBMISSIONS OPEN)

#361  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jan 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Is it because you speak with all the charisma and eloquence as this guy?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJhxseQXeV8[/youtube]

Haha nah, he sounds like a typical aussie which is nothing like me ;)

I've been told I have a weird accent. It's a blend of my original English mixed with Kiwi, so I've been confused for Australian, American, Canadian and a few others but rarely ever spotted as English or kiwi. I once had an old American woman get angry at me for "pretending" I wasn't from America and refusing to tell her what part I was from.

natselrox wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote: I just don't want to be on the podcast.. :shifty:

That Mickey Mouse voice... :grin:

Yep that's it, I speak like Mickey Mouse. And that's on a good day when I sound masculine, normally I sound like Minnie. :waah: :lol:

I don't care about my accent and voice (which I think are normal?), I'd just overthink what I was saying, probably start mumbling, go quiet when I'm not needed, and basically just fuck up the entire podcast.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#362  Postby MattHunX » Jan 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote: I once had an old American woman get angry at me for "pretending" I wasn't from America and refusing to tell her what part I was from.

Tch, yeah, she probably thought the entire world was the USA, a big island called Europe, and a few smaller islands here and there. Wouldn't be surprised. :nono:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#363  Postby natselrox » Jan 03, 2011 1:23 pm

MattHunX wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote: I once had an old American woman get angry at me for "pretending" I wasn't from America and refusing to tell her what part I was from.

Tch, yeah, she probably thought the entire world was the USA, a big island called Europe, and a few smaller islands here and there. Wouldn't be surprised. :nono:

When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#364  Postby MattHunX » Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm

natselrox wrote:
MattHunX wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote: I once had an old American woman get angry at me for "pretending" I wasn't from America and refusing to tell her what part I was from.

Ever seen that video where a guy "mistakes" Australia for North Korea, and goes "I didn't realize North Korea was so large..." :nono:

:guntothehead: <<< should have a smiley for that. :)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE[/youtube]

Now, admittedly, some of these look far too stupid to be real, but then again... :dunno:
Last edited by MattHunX on Jan 03, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#365  Postby natselrox » Jan 03, 2011 1:38 pm

You'll be amazed how often we are asked, "Do you speak Indian?"

Here'a a mail that was popular a while back:

Q. Why do Indian women wear red dots on their foreheads?
A. Well, in ancient times, Indian men used to practice archery skills by aiming at their wife's red dot. In fact, that is one of the reasons why they had many wives. You see, once they mastered the art of archery and hit the target....

Q. You're from India? I have read so much about the country. All the wonderful places, the forests, the snake charmers, the elephants.
Do you still use elephants for transportation?
A. Absolutely. In fact we used to have our own elephant in our house. But later, we started participating in elephant-ride sharing schemes with our neighbors, to save the air. You see elephants have an "emissions" problem.....

Q. Does India have cars?
A. No. We ride elephants to work. The government is trying to encourage ride-sharing schemes.

Q. Does India have TV?
A. No. We only have cable.

Q. Are all Indians vegetarian?
A. Yes. Even tigers are vegetarian in India.

Q. How come you speak English so well?
A. You see when the British were ruling India they employed Indians as servants. It took too long for the Indians to learn English. So the British isolated an "English-language" gene and infused their servants' babies with it and since then all babies are born speaking English.

Q. Are you a Hindi?
A. Yes. I am spoken everyday in Northern India.

Q. Do you speak Hindu?
A. Yes, I also speak Jewish, Islam and Christianity.

Q. Is it true that everyone there is very corrupt?
A. Yes, in fact, I had to bribe my parents so that they would let me go to school.

Q. India is very hot, isn't it?
A. It is so hot they're that all the water boils spontaneously. That is why tea is such a popular
drink in India.

Q. Are there any business companies in India?
A. No. All Indians live on the Gandhian principles of self-sufficiency. We all make our own clothes and grow our own food. That is why you see all these thin skinny Indians -- it is a lot of hard work.

Q. Indians cannot eat beef, huh?
A. Cows provide milk, which is a very essential part of Indian diet. So eating cows is forbidden. However in order to decrease the population of the country, the government is trying to encourage everyone to eat human meat.

Q. India is such a religious place. Do you meditate regularly?
A. Yes, sometimes I meditate for weeks without food and drink. But it is difficult to keep my job, because I have to miss work when I meditate like that. But the bosses there do the same thing. That is why things are so inefficient there.

Q. I saw on TV that people there walk on burning coals. Why do they do that?
A. We don't have shoes. So we burn the bottom of our feet to make it hard, so that we can walk.

Q. Why do you sometimes wear Indian clothes to work?
A. I prefer it to coming naked.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#367  Postby Nautilidae » Jan 03, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm very glad that people are becoming active and getting ideas together. Like I said in the other thread, I'm probably not going to be a part of this episode because I don't know very much about vaccines. Still, it brightens my day to know that people are taking my dead concept and going somewhere with it. :cheers:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#368  Postby HughMcB » Jul 26, 2011 6:00 pm

So who's up for another one then?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#369  Postby Nautilidae » Jul 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm up for it. :dopey: We just need to find some free time, a few discussion topics, and people who want to participate. Maybe near the end, I could review a low-budget religious film starring Kirk Cameron or the like. You'd be surprised at how many of those are released here in the US...
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#370  Postby Nautilidae » Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

I suggest that we have a maximum of 3 people on the podcast. I think that would make things a lot easier to manage, and it would help us find a rhythm that works.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#371  Postby HughMcB » Jul 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm thinking we do a more lighthearted podcast rather than a deep philosophical, religious or evolutionary one. I'd like to see a funnier topic, something to get the tinfoil hats out for.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#372  Postby rEvolutionist » Jul 27, 2011 1:06 am

natselrox wrote:You'll be amazed how often we are asked, "Do you speak Indian?"

Here'a a mail that was popular a while back:

Q. Why do Indian women wear red dots on their foreheads?
A. Well, in ancient times, Indian men used to practice archery skills by aiming at their wife's red dot. In fact, that is one of the reasons why they had many wives. You see, once they mastered the art of archery and hit the target....

Q. You're from India? I have read so much about the country. All the wonderful places, the forests, the snake charmers, the elephants.
Do you still use elephants for transportation?
A. Absolutely. In fact we used to have our own elephant in our house. But later, we started participating in elephant-ride sharing schemes with our neighbors, to save the air. You see elephants have an "emissions" problem.....

Q. Does India have cars?
A. No. We ride elephants to work. The government is trying to encourage ride-sharing schemes.

Q. Does India have TV?
A. No. We only have cable.

Q. Are all Indians vegetarian?
A. Yes. Even tigers are vegetarian in India.

Q. How come you speak English so well?
A. You see when the British were ruling India they employed Indians as servants. It took too long for the Indians to learn English. So the British isolated an "English-language" gene and infused their servants' babies with it and since then all babies are born speaking English.

Q. Are you a Hindi?
A. Yes. I am spoken everyday in Northern India.

Q. Do you speak Hindu?
A. Yes, I also speak Jewish, Islam and Christianity.

Q. Is it true that everyone there is very corrupt?
A. Yes, in fact, I had to bribe my parents so that they would let me go to school.

Q. India is very hot, isn't it?
A. It is so hot they're that all the water boils spontaneously. That is why tea is such a popular
drink in India.

Q. Are there any business companies in India?
A. No. All Indians live on the Gandhian principles of self-sufficiency. We all make our own clothes and grow our own food. That is why you see all these thin skinny Indians -- it is a lot of hard work.

Q. Indians cannot eat beef, huh?
A. Cows provide milk, which is a very essential part of Indian diet. So eating cows is forbidden. However in order to decrease the population of the country, the government is trying to encourage everyone to eat human meat.

Q. India is such a religious place. Do you meditate regularly?
A. Yes, sometimes I meditate for weeks without food and drink. But it is difficult to keep my job, because I have to miss work when I meditate like that. But the bosses there do the same thing. That is why things are so inefficient there.

Q. I saw on TV that people there walk on burning coals. Why do they do that?
A. We don't have shoes. So we burn the bottom of our feet to make it hard, so that we can walk.

Q. Why do you sometimes wear Indian clothes to work?
A. I prefer it to coming naked.

:rofl:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#373  Postby GenesForLife » Jul 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Talking of podcasts, where is the podcast that was recorded I don't know how many bloody months ago? :D
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#374  Postby HughMcB » Jul 27, 2011 1:28 pm

GenesForLife wrote:Talking of podcasts, where is the podcast that was recorded I don't know how many bloody months ago? :D

Thats been locked away with the ark at the secret government warehouse.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#375  Postby GenesForLife » Jul 27, 2011 3:21 pm

HughMcB wrote:
GenesForLife wrote:Talking of podcasts, where is the podcast that was recorded I don't know how many bloody months ago? :D

Thats been locked away with the ark at the secret government warehouse.

I've got a copy :thumbup:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#376  Postby HughMcB » Jul 27, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm going to tell the moon base Nazi's, they'll be back for that copy and the ark.

Actually moon base Nazi's isn't a half bad idea for the next one, may need to encompass a little more though. :think:
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#377  Postby HughMcB » Aug 05, 2011 6:44 pm

Bump... :dopey:

Come on people, suggestions?
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#378  Postby natselrox » Aug 07, 2011 5:39 am

Atheism and feminism.

We should have Ani on the panel to play the role of Frankie Boyle. :D

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#379  Postby HughMcB » Aug 08, 2011 2:31 pm

There is no way that topic would end well, let alone with Ani on it.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#380  Postby rossbalch » Oct 28, 2011 2:35 am

Hey guys, I run a podcast every week, called Sciencism: Critical Eye, anyone interested in being on that is more than welcome, i would also of course be interested in appearing on the rational skepticism podcast, i like the idea of vaccination, immunology is one of my knowledge areas so i would be happy to contribute to that.
rossbalch

Name: Ross Balch
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion