RDF Archive - Full Download Inside

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

RDF Archive - Full Download Inside

#1  Postby crank » Mar 03, 2010 10:55 pm

It's been mentioned elsewhere but maybe it needs a more prominent location (I looked but did not find a separate thread or announcement for this, sorry if there is already one). NineBerry has done a great job and compiled a near complete copy of the old forum, it can be found here in a .rar file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224795/RD/Full-RDF.rar

I have made another copy available here-right click, save link:
http://fyandfyg.com/Full-RDF.rar

For those who can't deal with a .rar file, there is a zip (in the works, ready in an hour or so as of posting time):
http://fyandfyg.com/phoenix.zip
This is a huge file, 1.4 GB, I will see if I can get it smaller, it may get squirrelly unzipping, your mileage may vary.
It is recommended that you go with the .rar file as it is half the size. If you do not have the ability to work with .rar files, go here and download 7zip, a very handy free file archiver that works with a butt-load of formats.

If you are not interested in downloading the whole site,you can go to
http://beyondyourken.com/phoenix/

here on the Users page, it's a long list-give your browser time to get all the data, you will find a link to a page that contains, on one page, a list of every thread you have posted to with a list of links to every post you have made to that thread. This is also the same as the downloadable version. The online version has some pages missing, sorry, there was not room for all the pages, less than 10% are missing. If you need a page that is missing, you can PM me I can get that to you. This is decidedly easier to deal with than the ego search at RDnet. There is a list links to each of the forums that takes you to a list of links to all the threads started in that forum.

If anyone has any questions or recommendations on how to make this more useful, please inform.
Last edited by crank on Mar 04, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2  Postby LIFE » Mar 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Hey crank,

just moved your thread here, made it sticky and changed the title ;)
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: RDF Archive - Full Download Inside

#3  Postby theropod » Mar 04, 2010 12:02 am

Great work!

I just breezed through and found threads I had posting in and completely forgotten.

My hat's off to all involved!

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re:

#4  Postby crank » Mar 04, 2010 12:31 am

LIFE wrote:Hey crank,

just moved your thread here, made it sticky and changed the title ;)

:thumbup: Thanks
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Mar 04, 2010 12:38 am

theropod wrote:Great work!

I just breezed through and found threads I had posting in and completely forgotten.

Incredible work! :cheers:

I shall avail myself.

What would be needed to deal with an .RAR file type?

This will end my agony of working with cached Google pages, which appears to work but it's snail slow doing it.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Mar 04, 2010 12:41 am

FACT-MAN-2 wrote:

I shall avail myself.

This will end my agony of working with cached Google pages, which appears to work but it's snail slow doing it.

Get 7zip, just added link to the OP.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby xrayzed » Mar 04, 2010 1:18 am

Allow me to post a metric bazillion of these: :clap:

At the risk of sounding too self-congratulatory (particularly given that I've done sod-all in copying files, setting up the new forum, etc), this is a great example of what RD has thrown away by closing down the old forum in favour of the more limited site they are proposing.

Yes there was a lot of noise and crap on the old forum, but there was also a tremendous amount of hard-work and energy put in by people who have now left the RDF site. I don't think RD appreciates that in purging RDF of the old forum he has done this:
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby cateye » Mar 04, 2010 1:27 am

Ah! That's brilliant! So at least the damage can be limited - though there probably is no way of getting back the posts that were deleted by that clown Josh, right?
Don't belong. Never join. Think for yourself. Peace.

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#9  Postby xrayzed » Mar 04, 2010 3:18 am

I'm hoping when RD gets back from Australia they update the forum with the last backup. That assumes a) that much good-will towards members exists and b) that the admins had enough good sense to maintain proper back-ups.

I wouldn't bet a great deal on either assumption being true.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby mcgruff » Mar 04, 2010 3:46 am

Don't you need permission to distribute that file?
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 04, 2010 5:19 am

Fantastic! Great work crank!
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Birthday
Print view this post

#12  Postby xrayzed » Mar 04, 2010 5:38 am

mcgruff wrote:Don't you need permission to distribute that file?
They gave permission to download files in the original announcement about the forum changes:
We will leave the current forum up for 30 days, giving regular users an opportunity to locally archive any content they value.
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby byofrcs » Mar 04, 2010 5:52 am

Yes he does actually...from all the copyright holders which is RD.net itself. Now if you disagree with RD.net being the copyright holder and think it is the contributor then it doesn't take a genius creationist to do a DMCA takedown of their content.

But as we actually have a note from Josh on this matter anyway in the archives, here then this suggests that Josh/rd.net isn't going to go after the archive and as the individual contributors have given up all their rights to RD.net and Josh has stated RD>net isn't going to enforce this then my guess is that is OK.

There is a lot of difference between RD.net making the material available for archive and someone else republishing the material.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Mar 04, 2010 7:07 am

crank wrote:
FACT-MAN-2 wrote:

I shall avail myself.

Get 7zip, just added link to the OP.

Thank you! :)
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby anthonzi » Mar 04, 2010 7:19 am

I don't think copyright is really an issue to be worrying about right now given the "lawlessness" of the whole affair.

P.S. Isn't the dropbox link Nineberry's archive? Credit where it's due and all that.
anthonzi

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby crank » Mar 04, 2010 7:47 am

anthonzi wrote:

I don't think copyright is really an issue to be worrying about right now given the "lawlessness" of the whole affair.

P.S. Isn't the dropbox link Nineberry's archive? Credit where it's due and all that.

Yes, NineBerry did all the real work, all I did was make the contents of the decompressed .rar file available online for any who may not want to deal with the whole site compressed, there are a fair number of people here who would not really understand how to do that. I explicitly said in the OP it was NineBerry's work:
It's been mentioned elsewhere but maybe it needs a more prominent location (I looked but did not find a separate thread or announcement for this, sorry if there is already one). NineBerry has done a great job and compiled a near complete copy of the old forum, it can be found here in a .rar file:

I in no way want to take anything away from all the work NineBerry did, and we should all be quite grateful to him. RDF is available, with search limited to 'posts by user X', but for a while there even that wasn't, and it was all to be gone in 30 days. At that time this was vital work, we had no idea how much longer we would have access, or how much more might have been deleted.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#17  Postby anthonzi » Mar 04, 2010 8:02 am

reading fail on my part ;)
anthonzi

Print view this post

#18  Postby NineBerry » Mar 04, 2010 10:39 am

Also I would like to remind everyone that I can create packages containing only the threads of one user. These are much smaller. E.g. here is a package with all threads that user "kope" had participated in: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224795/RD/RDF-kope-72642.zip It's fun reading.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby NineBerry » Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

Oh, and here's a collection of Robert Byers' contributions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224795/RD/RDF-R ... -33353.zip
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby RoaringAtheist » Mar 04, 2010 10:59 am

Make one of Cali's, plx. :)
RoaringAtheist

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion