Scared of the Chinese?

...takeaway, that is...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Scared of the Chinese?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2020 10:42 am

I just heard on the radio from a caller that his Chinese takeaway arrived after 10 mins last night instead of the usual 45. He asked the delivery man, who was, unusually, wearing plastic hygiene gloves, why it was so quick, and he replied that business was "dead" - presumably because of coronavirus. It wouldn't surprise me if this same thing were happening in every Chinese restaurant and takeaway in the country - and beyond. Rational reaction, paranoid, or what?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Re: Scared of the Chinese?

#2  Postby Sgt Kelly » Feb 10, 2020 11:38 am

People are dumb. Next.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Svartalf » Feb 10, 2020 2:39 pm

I've not had Chinese food this month, due to a lack of funds, not for fear of catching the new virus, we're in France, our resident Chinesefolk are not in regular contact with their cousins from back home.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2020 2:51 pm

The dialogue I normally have (on the rare occasion I splash out on a dear takeaway) is: "Chinese or Indian, Chinese or Indian, Chinese or Indian...hmmmmm." I can imagine my brain might ATM interject "Coronavirus, so, Indian."
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#5  Postby Svartalf » Feb 10, 2020 2:55 pm

well, in France, the choice is Chinese of Pizza, Indian takeaway is harder to get and more expensive.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby aban57 » Feb 10, 2020 2:56 pm

Keep It Real wrote:The dialogue I normally have (on the rare occasion I splash out on a dear takeaway) is: "Chinese or Indian, Chinese or Indian, Chinese or Indian...hmmmmm." I can imagine my brain might ATM interject "Coronavirus, so, Indian."

Well you're not really known here for your ability to think critically, one might explain the other.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Feb 10, 2020 2:58 pm

They just caught another Chinese restaurant up in Tampa using "unidentified" meat. I'm guessing cat or dog, since we don't have wildcats or pangolins around here. Or rhinos, or hippos, or pandas, or whatthefuckever they eat over there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#8  Postby aban57 » Feb 10, 2020 3:00 pm

laklak wrote:They just caught another Chinese restaurant up in Tampa using "unidentified" meat. I'm guessing cat or dog, since we don't have wildcats or pangolins around here. Or rhinos, or hippos, or pandas, or whatthefuckever they eat over there.

Triad members ?
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Feb 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Sweet and Sour Long Pork.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2020 3:08 pm

aban57 wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:The dialogue I normally have (on the rare occasion I splash out on a dear takeaway) is: "Chinese or Indian, Chinese or Indian, Chinese or Indian...hmmmmm." I can imagine my brain might ATM interject "Coronavirus, so, Indian."

Well you're not really known here for your ability to think critically, one might explain the other.

That's as rich as BBQ spare ribs, coming from you Cindy! :lol:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#11  Postby aban57 » Feb 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
aban57 wrote:

That's as rich as BBQ spare ribs, coming from you Cindy! :lol:

Hum what are you refering to, exactly ?
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#12  Postby felltoearth » Feb 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Chinese people here work everywhere, in all kinds of restos and even grocery stores. Best not to eat at all if you’re worried.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2020 3:34 pm

I was just thinking. ‘Rational reaction’? How could it be a rational reaction?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Increased risk of contracting corona due to having one's food prepared by (overwhelmingly, round these parts anyway) Chinese nationals.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#15  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Unless they've very recently been in the Wuhan area or in contact with someone who has caught it, no. Being Chinese doesn't increase your risk of having the novel coronavirus. You have to actually catch it.

Four people around Vancouver have been confirmed to have it. None of them have required treatment. It's limited to two households: one in which the dude had just returned from Wuhan, the other in which two folks were visiting from Wuhan. All four infected are in self-isolation at home, checking in with the health department. It's really not a big deal when people are informed and the services are available.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby felltoearth » Feb 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Increased risk of contracting corona due to having one's food prepared by (overwhelmingly, round these parts anyway) Chinese nationals.

The problem with humans is that we’re not very good at calculating risk, so a poorly posed question isn’t very helpful.

What is the likelihood that a restaurant worker in a Chinese takeaway has been to or has had any contact with someone who has visited the coronavirus epicentre in the last month? How about anyone else who is not Chinese? How about someone who has a strain of flu floating around out there that is not the Coronavirus?

Bottom line, given all the risks in daily life, it’d be foolish to limit your risk taking avoidance to Chinese takeaway if you are so inclined. I recommend living the life you have rather than have it limited by limited risk.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Not to mention, if you do contract it, unless you're immune-compromised, you'll be fine. It's a cold you can't leave your house for the duration of. I'm going to leave the stressing for people it might actually hurt.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Unless they've very recently been in the Wuhan area or in contact with someone who has caught it, no. Being Chinese doesn't increase your risk of having the novel coronavirus. You have to actually catch it.

You really think I didn't know that, Rachel? :sigh:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2020 5:00 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Increased risk of contracting corona due to having one's food prepared by (overwhelmingly, round these parts anyway) Chinese nationals.

The problem with humans is that we’re not very good at calculating risk

True, but when an Indian takeaway is just as appealing, why "cross the road" other than "at the zebra crossing?"

felltoearth wrote:so a poorly posed question isn’t very helpful.

Everyone's a critic. "Understandable" then, if you prefer, not "rational."
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2020 5:33 pm

Fallible wrote:I was just thinking. ‘Rational reaction’? How could it be a rational reaction?

That's an 'irrational' reaction. The coronavirus isn't endemic to Chinese nationals.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion