Self-amputation?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Self-amputation?

#21  Postby OlivierK » Oct 25, 2019 2:41 pm

I've actually had a limb trapped (under about 700kg of building materials resting on multiple points including my ankle), with no knife, no phone, no access to anything that might work as a lever, and no company expected for the next 8 hours. It was an interesting experience.

Turns out what I would do is yell for help from neighbours who live about 100-200 metres away, and hope that they're home and can hear me. After a while of no response, there's the dilemma of (a) using up your voice / energy when they might be out (or in but doing something noisy), or (b) waiting, knowing that if they are home, you're prolonging your suffering. I chose the first one, then after a while the second one. After about 90 minutes of intermittent shouting, my neighbour turned up (he'd heard me the first time, but thought it was cattle bellowing :lol:), and decided his back wasn't up to shifting anything, and went off and got people who could actually lift heavy weights. A bit under two hours after trapping myself, I was on my way to our small rural hospital.

Two hours later again, I still hadn't been seen other than to be given Paracetamol, and was feeling better, so I went home. Two weeks later, I heard on the radio news that someone in Hobart had died doing exactly what I'd done. Still sort of freaked out by that, 17 years later.

Don't know if it would have gone down differently if I'd had whiskey and a knife. I guess a bit of whiskey might make bellowing easier :dunno:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Svartalf » Oct 25, 2019 3:09 pm

I have no problem, that movie sucked giant donkey balls.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 25, 2019 3:15 pm

:o :o :o

:mob: :mob: :mob: :mob: :mob:

Well, there's no accounting for taste I suppose.

OlivierK that is one...awesome story. Paracetamol you say? :lol: how did you come to be trapped under the stuff? did a pile of timber slip?
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Thommo » Oct 25, 2019 3:27 pm

That story would only be improved if the neighbour was Mel Gibson.
Thommo

Print view this post

#25  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Svartalf » Oct 25, 2019 3:43 pm

that movie too sucked majorly, the guy who wrote the script ought to be hanged, drawn and quartered.
oh, and whoever came up with the pseudo pictish blue makeup too.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 25, 2019 3:45 pm

I got my feet frozen into a slushy ditch at the end of our drive. Trapped, but my little brother was playing with me. He went to get dad to dig me out. One fine winter evening after a good snow storm, we were jumping into the deep new snow in the ditch. There was still some water in the bottom of it, which the heavy layer of snow kept from freezing solid quickly, until I came along and punched a hole in that top layer when I jumped in.

I stood in one place long enough for that slush to congeal, and I was really stuck. Dad had me out in no time. But, it was pretty damned scary for a ten year old kid to be frozen into a ditch in the dark.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Spoiler alert, but he lives :thumbup:
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#30  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 25, 2019 5:33 pm

I'm with KIR on this. I don't think there is any way of knowing until you are there. I hope I'm never there.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby felltoearth » Oct 25, 2019 5:39 pm

In an extreme situation I’m pretty sure I’d do something extreme... or something.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby The Serpent » Oct 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby OlivierK » Oct 27, 2019 5:41 am

Keep It Real wrote:OlivierK that is one...awesome story. Paracetamol you say? :lol: how did you come to be trapped under the stuff? did a pile of timber slip?

I was building our house, and had a stack of about two dozen sheets of plasterboard/Gyprock/drywall/sheetrock of different lengths leaning against a wall, and I was lifting out sheet of medium length from the middle of the stack, but managed to bring the whole stack down onto me. When it started to come past the tipping point, I figured just leaning into the stack would tip it back against the wall. I was wrong. The stack ended up resting on a few points - the floor, another horizontally stacked bunch of plasterboard, and my ankle. It was cutting off some circulation (which was my major concern), and generally causing some serious discomfort with its weight, but it wasn't particularly painful per se. Having tried to move it using everything within reach (which included basically nothing useful), it became obvious that I couldn't shift it, and waiting 8 hours until my wife would have come was likely to lead to a bad outcome for my foot.

I thoroughly agree that theoretical guesses as what one might do in a particular situation are pretty useless - we're poor judges, and there are so many variables in what could happen that it's not really possible to have preconsidered even a tiny fraction of possible situations. You find out how you react when you get there.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 27, 2019 9:17 am

If I got caught in some machinery, I'd probably cut off my arm to save my life. But not my beard. I look like a giant 5 year old without it. I'd rather perish than suffer the month-long embarrassment. Who know? Maybe they'll make me into something useful, like a box.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion