Social cohesion - Homogenous or various ethnicities

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Social cohesion - Homogenous or various ethnicities

#41  Postby Rainbow Simon » Nov 09, 2020 12:13 am

Thommo wrote:
Rainbow Simon wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Rainbow Simon wrote:

I see. What does it mean?

It means "stop being so bloody awkward and intentionally misunderstanding things", I think.

If you know that it is a term, then surely you know what it means.

You also know it is a term, and were asked first. So surely you could have just saved all this bother by answering the question the first time it was asked - which was addressed to you, by Thomas Eshuis, here:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:...define 'socially cohesive'.

Well since you know that it is a term, and since you know what it means, how about you quit acting dumb and answer the question on page one of this thread. It really wasn't a complicated question. If you can't be bothered to go back to page one, just look at the thread title.

Or are you going to ask me to define homogenous and ethnicity? It's almost as if you want to avoid the question.

Funny that, isn't it?
Rainbow Simon
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 09, 2020 12:16 am

I know that you know that you know that I know that you know, so you know know, you know?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 09, 2020 12:17 am

Rainbow Simon wrote:It's almost as if you want to avoid the question.

Says the guy incompetently avoiding the question :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Thommo » Nov 09, 2020 12:21 am

Rainbow Simon wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Rainbow Simon wrote:
Thommo wrote:

It means "stop being so bloody awkward and intentionally misunderstanding things", I think.

You also know it is a term, and were asked first. So surely you could have just saved all this bother by answering the question the first time it was asked - which was addressed to you, by Thomas Eshuis, here:

Well since you know that it is a term, and since you know what it means, how about you quit acting dumb and answer the question on page one of this thread. It really wasn't a complicated question. If you can't be bothered to go back to page one, just look at the thread title.

Or are you going to ask me to define homogenous and ethnicity? It's almost as if you want to avoid the question.

Funny that, isn't it?

You were asked the question, and had avoided it, before I ever said a word on the subject.

Anyway, while noting your own "acting dumb" and "avoid[ing] the question" in response to what you think isn't a "complicated question", which you seem to imply is "funny" I propose the following:
a dialectic balance between three values: freedom, equality, and solidarity leading to a definitional framework containing two facets: relations and spheres.

On a perhaps unrelated note, I would suggest that it's actually pretty daft to assert that if someone can identify the language a term is written in they automatically must know perfectly what its exact definition is, even when it refers to a loose concept that is generally understood as complex, defined variously and where disputes exist in academia regarding those definitions.
Last edited by Thommo on Nov 09, 2020 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#45  Postby Rainbow Simon » Nov 09, 2020 12:27 am

Thommo wrote:
Rainbow Simon wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Rainbow Simon wrote:

Funny that, isn't it?

You were asked the question, and had avoided it, before I ever said a word on the subject.

Anyway, while noting your own "acting dumb" and "avoid[ing] the question" in response to what you think isn't a "complicated question", which you seem to imply is "funny" I propose the following:
a dialectic balance between three values: freedom, equality, and solidarity leading to a definitional framework containing two facets: relations and spheres.

Sure, we could go with Bernard, or we could go with the wikipedia definition. Which do you prefer?
Rainbow Simon
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#46  Postby Thommo » Nov 09, 2020 12:29 am

Rainbow Simon wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Rainbow Simon wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Funny that, isn't it?

Sure, we could go with Bernard, or we could go with the wikipedia definition. Which do you prefer?

Well, I think perhaps they both lack operational capacity for the question you proposed.
Thommo

Print view this post

#47  Postby Rainbow Simon » Nov 09, 2020 12:31 am

Oh well. Not sure why you proposed a definition then. Don't you like the wikipedia definition?
Rainbow Simon
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Thommo » Nov 09, 2020 2:20 am

Rainbow Simon wrote:Oh well. Not sure why you proposed a definition then.

Because you incessantly asked for one as though demanding to know "are we there yet?".

You can't seriously have forgotten, but:
Rainbow Simon wrote:Sure, we could go with Bernard, or we could go with the wikipedia definition. Which do you prefer?

Rainbow Simon wrote:If you know that it is a term, then surely you know what it means.

Rainbow Simon wrote:I see. What does it mean?
Thommo

Print view this post

#49  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 09, 2020 2:32 am

It's almost as if, and stop me if this sounds crazy, the person asking the question should be capable of defining the terms they're using. I'm sure there's a good reason Rainbow's showing a complete lack of ability to do so :nod:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Rainbow Simon » Nov 09, 2020 9:35 am

Thommo wrote:

Because you incessantly asked for one as though demanding to know "are we there yet?".

Rainbow Simon wrote:Sure, we could go with Bernard, or we could go with the wikipedia definition. Which do you prefer?

Rainbow Simon wrote:If you know that it is a term, then surely you know what it means.

Ha ha no you little liar, I wanted an answer, not a definition. It's you and your ilk who incessantly asked for a definition. But of course your ilk don't like answering questions do you now? You prefer to be the ones asking them. And when someone asks you a question for a change, you demand definitions so you can go round in circles. Then when had two in your lap you still managed to avoid answering the question.

Now how about you stop pretending not to know what the question is about. Here is it again :

Which kind of society is more likely to be socially cohesive?

An ethnically/culturally homogenous society?
A society of many different ethnicities/cultures?

Can you manage that? Do you want me to define every word in the question, or just the ones that you want to avoid talking about? I'm betting right now that you're not going to answer it. I wonder what answer-free word salad you're going to toss my way.
Rainbow Simon
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#52  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2020 9:51 am

Rainbow Simon wrote:Which kind of society is more likely to be socially cohesive?

An ethnically/culturally homogenous society?
A society of many different ethicities/cultures?

Ahhh ok, now the other post has all the needed context.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 09, 2020 10:26 am

Rainbow Simon wrote:
Can you manage that? Do you want me to define every word in the question

You can't even manage to define a single word in the question, why would anyone expect you to be able to define all of them? :lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 09, 2020 3:01 pm

Rainbow Simon wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Ha ha no you little liar, I wanted an answer, not a definition. It's you and your ilk who incessantly asked for a definition.

I see you've dropped all pretence. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#55  Postby BlackBart » Nov 09, 2020 3:57 pm

Too late.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Awww, poor baby Trumptroll got caught. Hope he crawls out from his mom's basement to go buy some ointment for that chapped ass :lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Animavore » Nov 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Was it Skinny?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#58  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 09, 2020 4:31 pm

That's what I was thinking, given the utter incompetence of their trolling.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 09, 2020 5:24 pm

...though apparently he's still a member here, so maybe not? I dunno, it's almost impossible to tell one Trumptroll from another, they've only got one joke and they seem incapable of pretending for more than a couple posts that they aren't the spiteful twerps they are.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Thommo » Nov 09, 2020 7:44 pm

The funny thing is that before Rainbow's little tantrum about being called on his deliberate obstructiveness I had found a couple of useful looking avenues to pursue for looking more seriously at the question of how social cohesion varies between nations. I was waiting for him to make some sort of small concession towards moving the conversation forward to post it. Oh well. :lol:

I thought this looked promising, regarding Asia-Pacific countries:
https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docserver ... 8A8D1AC1B1
I expect there's more to explore in the OECD library there.

This document contains a couple of useful lists of operational definitions that might start to bring light to how social cohesion gets measured in sociology:
https://www.oecd.org/dev/pgd/46935545.pdf
I was thinking of following up on p4.

I am always a bit wary of social science. Perhaps more than a bit these days. Risks of confounding variables, data mining and so on are always high and it's often difficult to match a result to a cause or theory.

I wouldn't be surprised (although I haven't checked at all) if it turned out culture, and language in particular, tended to create some sort of barrier for social cohesion indices. It seems extremely problematic in every sense of the word to equate that with ethnicity though.

I suppose it also wouldn't be that surprising if open racism had some effect on the figures. I can entertain the hypothetical that if a society has sufficiently many racists (for whatever reason) that might affect social cohesion. Not much use speculating without evidence though.
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion