Spirit To Charge $100 A Carry-on

They are trying to kill their industry

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Spirit To Charge $100 A Carry-on

#1  Postby Sovereign » May 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Well I'm not flying Spirit.

Spirit says that beginning Nov. 6 it will charge $100 for fliers who pay for a carry-on bag at the boarding gate. That's a big jump from the $45 the airline is charging now at airport gates and means it could cost $200 round-trip to carry a bag on board. Most airlines don't charge to carry on a bag, but last month Allegiant Air began charging up to $35, depending on the route. Continued...

Fixed link: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/stor ... 54736508/1
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Spirit To Charge $100 A Carry-on

#2  Postby Sityl » May 04, 2012 4:23 pm

... Why?!
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Tbickle » May 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Sityl wrote:... Why?!

Simple...

"According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics' most recent data, 17 of the largest U.S. airlines collected $2.6 billion in baggage fees and $1.8 billion in fees for changing or canceling bookings during the first three quarters of last year. In 2010, 20 airlines collected $3.4 billion in bag fees and $2.3 billion in rebooking fees"

The article is confusing though. Are they talking about an excess fee for a second, checked bag or for carry-on bags?
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#4  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 04, 2012 4:54 pm

I would imagine a problem with using convenience fees to counter any economic woes of the industry is that as soon as you impose or raise them people stop using them. Flying becomes less convenient AND prices eventually go up anyways.
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby MoonLit » May 05, 2012 12:27 am

Glad I take the bus.
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Weaver » May 05, 2012 12:49 am

What with the amount of time to get through security, travel to the airport, and convenience factor, I have to be travelling over about 700 miles (1120+km) before I'll really think of flying - simply not cost effective for anything less, either time or money.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chango369 » May 06, 2012 8:17 pm

It seems to me that with the $200, I might be able to buy what I need at my destination and still have enough money left over to ship it back home.
The notion of ever more old people needing ever more young people, who in turn will grow old and need ever more young people, and so on ad infinitum, is an obvious ecological Ponzi scheme.

- Sir David Attenborough
chango369

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Ultimate » May 08, 2012 2:43 am

Are you allowed a personal bag? Most American airlines allow a personal bag + a carry on. If yes, can your personal bag be a carry on suitcase?

What with the amount of time to get through security, travel to the airport, and convenience factor, I have to be travelling over about 700 miles (1120+km) before I'll really think of flying - simply not cost effective for anything less, either time or money.

I would agree up to 500 miles. I use at least 2 hours just getting to the gate. A typical 500 mile trip takes about 5 hours in a plane when its all said and done. I can do that in about 7 hours including food stops.
Ultimate

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » May 08, 2012 3:28 am

Fuck 'em, I'll drive. If I can't drive it I'll fly business class, where they treat you with a minimum of human courtesy, otherwise I'll just stay home and go fishing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Return to General Discussion