Sugar and carbs are the obesity culprits

Not lack of exercise

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Sugar and carbs are the obesity culprits

#1  Postby Alan B » Apr 23, 2015 9:26 am

Medical News Today (I thought of quoting from the Daily Mail, but this carries more clout. :smile: )
Bad diet is a lifestyle cause of obesity, but a lack of exercise is not, says an editorial reviewing controversial questions about this established health risk. The article published in a journal from The BMJ says the problem "cannot be outrun by exercise."
Even the exercise done by athletes cannot counter a bad diet, say the authors, who cite evidence that while obesity has rocketed in the past 30 years, "there has been little change in physical activity levels in the western population."

Excess sugar and carbohydrates, not physical inactivity, are to blame for the obesity epidemic, says the editorial.

The review, which aims to lead the opinion of sports medicine researchers and clinicians, is written by Dr. Aseem Malhotra, a UK cardiologist and consultant to the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges in London, with Prof. Tim Noakes of the Sports Science Institute of South Africa in Cape Town, and Dr. Stephen Phinney, professor emeritus of medicine at the University of California Davis.

Food and beverage industry 'lies'

The concluding remark of the editorial reads: "It is time to wind back the harms caused by the junk food industry's public relations machinery."

As an industry example of providing "misleading" information, the authors say that Coca-Cola spent 3.3 billion US dollars on advertising in 2013, and that the company "pushes a message that 'all calories count;' they associate their products with sport, suggesting it is OK to consume their drinks as long as you exercise."

"However, science tells us this is misleading and wrong," says the article, adding:

"It is where the calories come from that is crucial. Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger. Fat calories induce fullness or 'satiation.'"

The authors further lambaste the food industry by blaming it for creating a public perception that "obesity is entirely due to lack of exercise."

Malhotra, Noakes and Phinney argue: "This false perception is rooted in the food industry's public relations machinery, which uses tactics chillingly similar to those of big tobacco."
My underline.
This is becoming more obvious as time progresses. Perhaps it is time for the governments to reject the Food & Drink industry bribes donated to the party coffers.
Exercise by all means, but to keep fit not just solely to lose weight.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sugar and carbs are the obesity culprits

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 9:35 am

Any sane person would realise this surely. Mind you in some places sanity is hard to find.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 9:45 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Any sane person would realise this surely. Mind you in some places sanity is hard to find.

Why would they? People have been told for decades that fat is the main culprit when actually it is carbs (sugar).
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 23, 2015 9:50 am

I think ingesting more calories than one burns is what's actually responsible for obesity.

That said, where most of those excess calories come from has been a matter of contention since obesity first became a thing, not something obvious to everyone sound of mind.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 9:51 am

Why wouldn't they? Who has being telling who for decades? Manufacturing companies telling the gullible? Were you taken in by them?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 9:56 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I think ingesting more calories than one burns is what's actually responsible for obesity.

That said, where most of those excess calories come from has been a matter of contention since obesity first became a thing, not something obvious to everyone sound of mind.

Did you read the report? Comprehend it? Calorie counting does not work.

From the report:

Bad diet is a lifestyle cause of obesity, but a lack of exercise is not, says an editorial reviewing controversial questions about this established health risk. The article published in a journal from The BMJ says the problem "cannot be outrun by exercise."

"It is where the calories come from that is crucial. Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger. Fat calories induce fullness or 'satiation.'"

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan B » Apr 23, 2015 10:02 am

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Any sane person would realise this surely. Mind you in some places sanity is hard to find.

Why would they? People have been told for decades that fat is the main culprit when actually it is carbs (sugar).

Agreed. I have T2DM diagnosed in 1995. At that time the public were not generally aware of any connection between obesity and diabetes - we happily consumed less fats and more carbohydrates. After all, fats make you fat, don't they, was the message - and, wow! carbohydrates (i.e. sugar) gave you 'energy'. The relationship between diabetes and obesity was probably known in the medical profession then, but it was not generally in the public conscience.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 10:03 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Those of us that have been on low carb diets appreciate that.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 10:06 am

Alan B wrote:
Briton wrote:

Agreed. I have T2DM diagnosed in 1995. At that time the public were not generally aware of any connection between obesity and diabetes - we happily consumed less fats and more carbohydrates. After all, fats make you fat, don't they, was the message - and, wow! carbohydrates (i.e. sugar) gave you 'energy'. The relationship between diabetes and obesity was probably known in the medical profession then, but it was not generally in the public conscience.

I was told as young kid. Too much of anything was wrong. It was known when my father developed diabetes in the 60's.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 23, 2015 10:16 am

I found out about this when researching the metabolic pathways affected by my medication. The prime input to the mechanisms that store fat in our bodies isn't fat intake (though the mechanism for taking triglycerides on board has its own time bomb ticking away therein, as I expounded in this post elsewhere), but glucose, courtesy of the glycolysis pathway, Which also has input into the mevalonate pathway that leads to cholesterol synthesis.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Alan B » Apr 23, 2015 10:21 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I was told as young kid. Too much of anything was wrong. It was known when my father developed diabetes in the 60's.

True. But when you have the F&D industry pushing their messages as 'fact', it isn't surprising that many people ignored the teachings of their forefathers. I, too, was told that 'too much of anything is bad for you'. But the problem was, not knowing what was considered to be 'too much' of any particular food item when the consumer relied upon what was being told them by the F&D industry through their pernicious and pervasive advertising.
Like I said above, we were persuaded by 'fat makes you 'fat' and sugar gives you 'energy' bollocks.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 10:35 am

Alan B wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I was told as young kid. Too much of anything was wrong. It was known when my father developed diabetes in the 60's.

True. But when you have the F&D industry pushing their messages as 'fact', it isn't surprising that many people ignored the teachings of their forefathers. I, too, was told that 'too much of anything is bad for you'. But the problem was, not knowing what was considered to be 'too much' of any particular food item when the consumer relied upon what was being told them by the F&D industry through their pernicious and pervasive advertising.
Like I said above, we were persuaded by 'fat makes you 'fat' and sugar gives you 'energy' bollocks.

I think my father's diabetes focussed my young mind at the time. Learning how to give injections and look after someone in coma does make a 12 year old grow up quite quickly. The message of the Diabetes Clinic always rang in my ears.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Blackadder » Apr 23, 2015 11:17 am

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

I tried one of those diets a few years ago. I kept my fat intake constant (if anything I consumed more) but dropped my carb intake significantly. The weight loss was rapid and quite dramatic.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 11:30 am

Blackadder wrote:
Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

I tried one of those diets a few years ago. I kept my fat intake constant (if anything I consumed more) but dropped my carb intake significantly. The weight loss was rapid and quite dramatic.

I can drop weight really quickly if needs be with a low carb diet. The advantage of them is that you can basically eat as much as you want of the right kind of foods; add that to the appetite being suppressed (due to less insulin being produced I think), and I was never hungry. Can be expensive though, as well as time consuming.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby igorfrankensteen » Apr 23, 2015 11:48 am

I'm safe from the evil plot.

In addition to being protected from calorie counting by how much of an annoying pain in the ass it is, I learned that eating too much sugar gives me migraine headaches.

That, and the simple recognition that what the "experts" have said has changed every few years, made me decide long ago to stick to simple things, like eating when I'm actually hungry, and paying attention to the difference between actual hunger, and taste-bud-illusion hunger. So far so good.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 11:58 am

igorfrankensteen wrote:

That, and the simple recognition that what the "experts" have said has changed every few years, made me decide long ago to stick to simple things, like eating when I'm actually hungry, and paying attention to the difference between actual hunger, and taste-bud-illusion hunger. So far so good.

Talking of 'experts'; a few years ago I developed rheumatoid arthritis and I was put on a steroid that made my weight balloon, at least by my standards. My GP referred me to a dietician. When I met her I was confronted by someone who was much more in need of dietary advice than me. I had to admire her neck (or should I say necks?).
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Prednisone by any chance? Bloody horse treatment that stuff. My wife was on it.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Alan B » Apr 23, 2015 12:14 pm

It would seem that this research would indicate that the GDA (Guideline Daily Amounts) and RI (Reference Intake) nutrition figures need to be revised. I have often suspected that these nutrition 'baselines' are driven by the F&D industry. Particularly where they suggest daily amounts for men to be 300g of carbs. that include 120g of sugars...
Edit
That is, 40% of carbohydrates is sugars (43.8kg per year) - easy enough to hide all that 'added' sugar.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Prednisone by any chance? Bloody horse treatment that stuff. My wife was on it.

Yes it was.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Prednisone by any chance? Bloody horse treatment that stuff. My wife was on it.

Yes it was.

I sympathise. Getting off the stuff was the worst part.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion