The prescription eyeglasses rip off

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

The prescription eyeglasses rip off

#1  Postby Macdoc » May 10, 2013 11:22 am

I posted this else where and saved a great deal of money.

Unreal - Apple can make an iPod to sell at $200 with serious tech and these idiots want $120 for a bit of plastic and metal before the damn lens.

Left my good ones at Hong King Airport and lost and found can find them.

Had enough of forking out $300 for reading glasses. I'm 20-20 at distance and my eyes are slightly different diopters so I can use off the shelf 2.50 but a prescription is better.

last good pair with titanium frames got picked out of my shirt pocket by a cross wind on the motorcycle - went back and hunted for an hour but no luck, :(

Who has the best deal on frames and lenses these days.

got this reply

I don't wear glasses, so I can't personally vouch for them, but several of my co-workers get their glasses from Zenni, and they seem to be happy with the experience/quality.

Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses
http://www.zennioptical.com

Out come
thanks - frame prices look reasonable.

Very interesting site....2 pairs with the upper end options for $145 shipped - not each but for both ....thanks for the tip.

Interesting procedure - like that you can see the glasses on with your frame and lens choice and you choose a head from a selection.

My choice - and the frames had 7 positive reviews from others.

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The prescription eyeglasses rip off

#2  Postby The_Metatron » May 10, 2013 11:53 am

Who's the old guy?
"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option: I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."

Astronaut Mark Watney, logging about his status of being stranded on Mars, in Andy Weir's book, The Martian
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 10, 2013 2:49 pm

My experience is that you get what you pay for.

If it is cheap; it is cheap.

I find glasses a very important item and I go to a proper optician. I pay a bit more but I get the best lens's and frames. Also the service is excellent.

Any problems and I just pop in and they help me. That is one problem when buying on line; no service.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » May 10, 2013 3:36 pm

I have heard very good things about Zenni Optical from a number of sources - but I cannot test myself as I no longer wear glasses.

Most frames are excessively highly priced, in the US at least, because there are really only 2 manufacturers of frames (under a bunch of brand names) and they keep it as a virtual monopoly.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby natselrox » May 10, 2013 3:39 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Who's the old guy?

Scot Dutchy. :coffee:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 10, 2013 4:15 pm

natselrox wrote:

HOI!

I am much better looking than that and I dont have grey hair either.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Weaver wrote:I have heard very good things about Zenni Optical from a number of sources - but I cannot test myself as I no longer wear glasses.

Most frames are excessively highly priced, in the US at least, because there are really only 2 manufacturers of frames (under a bunch of brand names) and they keep it as a virtual monopoly.

My frames are made in Denmark.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Macdoc » May 10, 2013 4:17 pm

generic image to show what the glasses look like.

If you have an accurate prescription there is nothing preventing high quality at low prices but some like to be hosed I guess.

I pay a bit more but I get the best lens's and frames. Also the service is excellent.

Just what is the "best lens" you think you are getting - and the "best frame" you think you are getting and a bit more in my case is $420 for lens and frame for a single versus 140 for two pair. That's not a bit more ....it's fucking ridiculous amount more.

Unless you are buying http://www.essilor.com/en/Pages/Home.aspx lenses then I suggest you are paying for your optician's overhead - not for anything special. There is a wide choice of lenses and treatments on Zenni - far wider than any local place will have. They would have to order in and they order in the lenses anyways.

The frames game is a just a brand name rip off with some actually providing good frames under say Nike but at a much higher price than necessary. Zenni has memory titanium, titanium and stainless steel along with the usual plastics.
I ordered stainless this time but titanium was peanuts more. I ordered the high index 1.67 lenses that are thinner with less internal refraction. There are higher but for my use it's not worthwhile.

Disintermediation is a natural for a prescriptive device as there are economies of scale and all you are doing with a local optician is paying for small scale and high overhead - how do you think they afford the tony locations.
The eye doctor, eye exam and prescription is a different issue.
I would expect the optician service to be excellent given the margins they are making.

Too many people are please with Zenni and displeased with the prescription glasses rip off.
Insurance pays for many and so they don't care.
I found the same thing with dentists.....once insurance became the norm no one cared about value for money.

I do.
Last edited by Macdoc on May 10, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby natselrox » May 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
natselrox wrote:

HOI!

:lol:

I know! :hugs:

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 10, 2013 4:19 pm

natselrox wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
natselrox wrote:

HOI!

How do you know. I have never posted a photo here.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby natselrox » May 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
natselrox wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
natselrox wrote:

HOI!

I hacked into your webcam to look at you. ;)

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Doubtdispelled » May 10, 2013 7:12 pm

natselrox wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
natselrox wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

HOI!

I hacked into your webcam to look at you. ;)

:rofl:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#13  Postby james1v » May 10, 2013 7:14 pm

For work, i wear a pair of 1.5 prescription glasses, bought from Poundland, for...A pound!

For reading at home, i wear a pair of folding glasses, they came in a hard case off the Internet, cost £5.00 a pair (bought 4 pairs for free delivery).

Both work fine.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby purplerat » May 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:My experience is that you get what you pay for.

I hope so.
I've never worn glasses but now my son needs them. My wife (son's step mom) wears glasses so I let her run the show when it came to what we got him. 2 pairs - one regular, one for sports - cost over $1000 USD.
At least if they are broken the place we got them from will replace each pair once for 10% of what we paid for them within 1 year. I'd be surprised if they weren't broken in a year, but if 11 months from now they are still in good shape I might have to step on them to get a new pair cheap.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Nostalgia » May 11, 2013 12:09 am

That's true, but only up to a point. With glasses, as with almost anything, you reach a price were you are paying for quality but anything beyond that and you are just paying for the brand name.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby james1v » May 11, 2013 2:13 am

purplerat wrote:

I hope so.
I've never worn glasses but now my son needs them. My wife (son's step mom) wears glasses so I let her run the show when it came to what we got him. 2 pairs - one regular, one for sports - cost over $1000 USD.
At least if they are broken the place we got them from will replace each pair once for 10% of what we paid for them within 1 year. I'd be surprised if they weren't broken in a year, but if 11 months from now they are still in good shape I might have to step on them to get a new pair cheap.

:shock: Poundland! :?
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 11, 2013 10:46 am

MacIver wrote:

That's true, but only up to a point. With glasses, as with almost anything, you reach a price were you are paying for quality but anything beyond that and you are just paying for the brand name.

For some people (not me btw) it is important. Otherewise brand names would not exist.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Macdoc » May 11, 2013 1:40 pm

also do some research on the types of lenses as there are some technical aspects that do affect the quality of the end product.

Here is some info.
High-Definition Eyeglass Lenses Offer Sharper Vision

I'd pay for top end lenses if I had distance vision issues but for reading.....nah.

With frames tho - I'd say most is smoke and mirrors and branding.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby GT2211 » Oct 16, 2013 12:27 am

I may have to look into this. My father always buys those cheap $5-10 reading glasses at Wal-Mart. He hasn't ever had his eyes checked and is constantly breaking the frames. I remember one morning we went there late at night to pick up a couple items and some glasses for him for work. That night he fell asleep with them in his bed and rolled over on them breaking them so he woke me back up first thing in the morning so I could give him a ride back there to get another new pair for work.

Anyway his boss wears glasses and gifted him a pair of pretty expensive trifocals and my father was amazed how much better he could see. He has done a pretty good job at keeping them in the case when he isn't wearing them so nothing happens, but I'm sure he will find a way to break them eventually. Getting a spare would probably be wise.
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby trubble76 » Oct 16, 2013 10:00 am

I have worn glasses for most of my life and I have tended to buy decent pairs at around £200 each. If I am balancing something on my face for 16 hrs a day, I want good build quality, particularly to reduce the impact on the bridge of my nose.

In 3 days time, I'm having eye surgery (frickin' lasers!) so I should have a roughly 99% chance of not needing glasses (until long-sightedness kicks in that is) ever again.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion