The ramifications of blockchain technology?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#101  Postby romansh » Feb 27, 2019 12:01 am

I thought Making Money by Terry Prachett gave a nice simple example of fiat currencies.
If you are going to read it James, then I would read Going Postal first.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#102  Postby jamest » Feb 27, 2019 12:09 am

romansh wrote:I thought Making Money by Terry Prachett gave a nice simple example of fiat currencies.

If you have a point then please make it.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#103  Postby romansh » Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am

jamest wrote:
romansh wrote:I thought Making Money by Terry Prachett gave a nice simple example of fiat currencies.

Try reading Making Money

It's a fun book
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#104  Postby jamest » Feb 27, 2019 12:20 am

romansh wrote:
jamest wrote:

Try reading Making Money

It's a fun book

For what purpose? Is it of relevance to this discussion?

I'm not just willy nilly going to buy a book that some relative-stranger recommended because he claims that it's "fun", squire. Especially when the concept of fun is as subjective as it is. You're a smart guy, so if you've got something to say of relevance to the discussion then please say it. PLEASE say it, since I'm craving intelligent responses here.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#105  Postby jamest » Feb 27, 2019 1:04 am

From the one and only bitcoin thread in this forum, dated late May 2012:

SeriousCat wrote:Well, BitCoin has stayed rather stable at around 1 BitCoin to $5 (USD). It's really more of a currency for maintaining anonymity. For that purpose, it's been quite successful.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/socia ... l#p1330976

This is 6+ years later, and amidst the second major plunge/bear-market since that post, its price is now close to $4000. 14 months ago its price was close to $20000.

Do the math, ladies and gentlemen, remembering - most importantly - that cryptocurrency is only a decade of age. It's relatively unknown and of those that know about it only a minority of them have any knowledge/clue about the values of it.

Don't let fear and normalcy values dictate your attitudes here. As I said earlier, this is a new revolution on a par of significance with the industrial revolution that happened 2+ centuries ago. Don't let old farts and conservative values prevent you from getting in before it's too late.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Macdoc » Feb 27, 2019 2:11 am

getting in before it's too late.

did you coin that yourself Jamest?..... :roll:

My business partner....who finances me in part and makes his living brokering bitcoin, does not speculate in it.
Might tell you something.

Would you care to buy a tulip? :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#107  Postby jamest » Mar 02, 2019 1:42 am

Macdoc wrote:
getting in before it's too late.

did you coin that yourself Jamest?..... :roll:

My business partner....who finances me in part and makes his living brokering bitcoin, does not speculate in it.
Might tell you something.

Would you care to buy a tulip? :coffee:

Your business partner is a fucking idiot then. I therefore propose that I become your new business partner. I'll make you richer and you'll also get to go to heaven. Woo-hoo!
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#108  Postby jamest » Mar 02, 2019 1:53 am

Sometime within the next decade, most probably within the next half-decade, what I've said here will haunt you all until your deaths.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#109  Postby newolder » Mar 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Meanwhile, if anyone bought into this crypto-lark before last Feb, 25th then they are currently running at a 10%-ish loss. Such wild swings are another "ramification" of this technology.

Write-up @ techregister:
Crypto Markets See Double-Digit Crash, Asian Markets Soar as Trump Delays Tariff Hike - February 25, 2019
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby jamest » Mar 05, 2019 1:16 am

newolder wrote:Meanwhile, if anyone bought into this crypto-lark before last Feb, 25th then they are currently running at a 10%-ish loss. Such wild swings are another "ramification" of this technology.

Your statement is utterly incorrect!! Bitcoin is currently close to $3750 which is a higher price than any other between January 9th and February 17th. Only for a period of about two weeks, after Feb 17th, was the price higher than the current price - and not by much.

Regardless, investors of crypto have their eye on what the charts will be saying in a couple of years. You shouldn't be participating in this thread making stuff up about prices with no understanding of why people are still investing.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#111  Postby newolder » Mar 05, 2019 8:26 am

jamest wrote:
newolder wrote:Meanwhile, if anyone bought into this crypto-lark before last Feb, 25th then they are currently running at a 10%-ish loss. Such wild swings are another "ramification" of this technology.

Your statement is utterly incorrect!! Bitcoin is currently close to $3750 which is a higher price than any other between January 9th and February 17th. Only for a period of about two weeks, after Feb 17th, was the price higher than the current price - and not by much.

Regardless, investors of crypto have their eye on what the charts will be saying in a couple of years. You shouldn't be participating in this thread making stuff up about prices with no understanding of why people are still investing.

I just googled - Bitcoin now - and a panel appears on the search results that includes :
3,716.06 United States Dollar

and next to that is a graph showing the past month's trading that includes the 10%-ish ($400 drop from a $4000 evaluation) correction on 23rd-24th Feb.

You can remain as deluded as you want. Who cares?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#112  Postby zulumoose » Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am

If you google "bitcoin value graph" the results showed a handy little graph with selectable periods.

Only the 1 day and 1 month graphs make it look like anything but a big mistake as a current investment.
5yrs, 1yr, and 5 days all look bad.
The 5yr graph in particular shows clearly that bitcoin spiked in 2017 and has been slumping ever since.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Hermit » Mar 05, 2019 8:49 am

Delusion indeed. To think cryptocurrencies will afford protection from the collapse of the world's fiat currencies is as amusing as the confidence that a sun umbrella will ward off the effects of global warming. In the event of a global economic collapse Jamest will be tossed about helplessly like everybody else, but leave him to it. it makes him feel better about the prospect of its coming until it actually happens. That is worth something, don't you think?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#114  Postby BlackBart » Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am

Hermit wrote:Delusion indeed. To think cryptocurrencies will afford protection from the collapse of the world's fiat currencies is as amusing as the confidence that a sun umbrella will ward off the effects of global warming. In the event of a global economic collapse Jamest will be tossed about helplessly like everybody else, but leave him to it. it makes him feel better about the prospect of its coming until it actually happens. That is worth something, don't you think?

Sooo... The the fiat currencies are going to collapse, but, strangely, the healthy world data network required for cryptocurrencies to operate on will still be intact? :what:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#115  Postby newolder » Mar 05, 2019 9:01 am

zulumoose wrote:If you google "bitcoin value graph" the results showed a handy little graph with selectable periods.

Only the 1 day and 1 month graphs make it look like anything but a big mistake as a current investment.
The 5yr graph in particular shows clearly that bitcoin spiked in 2017 and has been slumping ever since.

Quite so - the peak in December 2017 was followed by "correction" after "correction". The graph below was published in Oct. 2018 and shows an "analysed floor" around the $6200 mark. Sadly, 4 months later and the "floor" has now "corrected" below $4000.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#116  Postby OlivierK » Mar 05, 2019 9:14 am

jamest wrote:I have nothing to prove here except that fiat currency is shite (read the links I provided) and that the US dollar is on the brink. Indeed, the whole capitalist enterprise is upon the brink. Remember 2008? Well, guess what, nothing has changed fundamentally since then...

Cool story. Perhaps you can name the places I can go to today to buy some subprime CDOs opaquely tranched and repackaged in a way to attract AA-ratings by corrupt/inept ratings agencies.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#117  Postby OlivierK » Mar 05, 2019 9:14 am

jamest wrote:From the one and only bitcoin thread in this forum, dated late May 2012:

SeriousCat wrote:Well, BitCoin has stayed rather stable at around 1 BitCoin to $5 (USD). It's really more of a currency for maintaining anonymity. For that purpose, it's been quite successful.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/socia ... l#p1330976

This is 6+ years later, and amidst the second major plunge/bear-market since that post, its price is now close to $4000. 14 months ago its price was close to $20000.

Do the math, ladies and gentlemen, remembering - most importantly - that cryptocurrency is only a decade of age. It's relatively unknown and of those that know about it only a minority of them have any knowledge/clue about the values of it.

Don't let fear and normalcy values dictate your attitudes here. As I said earlier, this is a new revolution on a par of significance with the industrial revolution that happened 2+ centuries ago. Don't let old farts and conservative values prevent you from getting in before it's too late.

If it's gone from $5 to $4000, I'm interested in what your definition of "too late" might be that includes the present as "not too late".
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Hermit » Mar 05, 2019 9:44 am

zulumoose wrote:If you google "bitcoin value graph" the results showed a handy little graph with selectable periods.

That's something I pointed out in post #19 on page one of this thread. The feature you refer to is commonly known as the dead cat bounce.

In that post I also likened the bitcoin peak to the tulip mania of 1637. The comment went straight to the 'keeper.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#119  Postby jamest » Mar 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Bitcoin has been through several significant bull/bear markets within its lifespan and the charts all look very similar albeit with ever-increasing values for both tops and bottoms. We're currently still in the latest bear market though there are signs that the bottom is in or close to being in. If you're going to invest, buy near the bottom, don't wait for the next high.

If this was March 2015 you'd have been saying exactly the same things (as above). Look what happened 2+ years later.

Of course investing in cryptocurrency is a gamble. So is trusting in our governments and banks.

I did consider investing in shares/bonds/etc. instead, but my research has led me to believe that another 2008 is on the horizon, so fuck that.
Last edited by jamest on Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#120  Postby felltoearth » Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm

jamest wrote:
If this was March 2015 you'd have been saying exactly the same things (as above). Looked what happened 2+ years later.

Do you have any idea what a person with real investment knowledge would say to this statement? This is exactly what a gambler would say. You’re out of your depth, once again.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion