The ramifications of blockchain technology?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#121  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 05, 2019 12:49 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Hermit wrote:Delusion indeed. To think cryptocurrencies will afford protection from the collapse of the world's fiat currencies is as amusing as the confidence that a sun umbrella will ward off the effects of global warming. In the event of a global economic collapse Jamest will be tossed about helplessly like everybody else, but leave him to it. it makes him feel better about the prospect of its coming until it actually happens. That is worth something, don't you think?

Sooo... The the fiat currencies are going to collapse, but, strangely, the healthy world data network required for cryptocurrencies to operate on will still be intact? :what:

As long as you have a VPN you should be OK.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby jamest » Mar 05, 2019 1:09 pm

felltoearth wrote:
jamest wrote:
If this was March 2015 you'd have been saying exactly the same things (as above). Looked what happened 2+ years later.

Do you have any idea what a person with real investment knowledge would say to this statement? This is exactly what a gambler would say. You’re out of your depth, once again.

No, I'm informing you that the fact that cryptocurrency has plunged in value by almost 90% in the last 14+ months is nothing new. The same thing has happened before, so you cannot extrapolate from the 2018-19 charts that crypto is going to zero.

If I were a gambler who knew nothing about the history of crypto nor the ever-improving fundamentals underpinning it and the ever-increasing adoption of it and just glanced at today's charts, I'd probably say "fuck that" too, just like you lot.

I'm not a gambler. I've put a lot of time into educating myself on the matter, still am, including fiat related investments. It is my opinion that investing in crypto now gives the investor a very good chance of becoming rich within the next few years. It is also my opinion that anyone invested in fiat-related assets, including of course pensions, will suffer major losses to their investments within the next 5 years, similar to 2008 (though I suspect much worse).
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#123  Postby jamest » Mar 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Go and read about the ever improving technology/speed and increasing adoption of blockchain and crypto, ladies and gents. It's something which is creeping ever more into our lives and is destined to upturn the whole fucking table. Even the internet as we know it is being slowly revolutionised. For example, even google/chrome should be worried:

https://www.ccn.com/blockchains-killer- ... -downloads
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Ironclad » Mar 08, 2019 9:51 am

What happened to James?
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Macdoc » Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Jamest
Go and read about the ever improving technology/speed and increasing adoption of blockchain and crypto, ladies and gents. It's something which is creeping ever more into our lives and is destined to upturn the whole fucking table. Even the internet as we know it is being slowly revolutionised. For example, even google/chrome should be worried:

have been following it for a while Jamest and Bitcoin speculation has naught to do with block chain use. :roll:

care for a tulip

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#127  Postby jamest » Mar 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Macdoc wrote:Jamest

have been following it for a while Jamest and Bitcoin speculation has naught to do with block chain use. :roll:

care for a tulip

You cannot use some blockchains (or Dapps) without using the crypto specific to them. There's significantly different purposes for some of the blockchains/Dapps and hence the reason why there's so many different cryptos - it isn't just about A sending money to B. Although this was/is the initial purpose for Bitcoin it is unique amongst all crypto as being considered to be the crypto store of value, not unlike a precious metal. Hence, people are investing in it for the same reasons that they would buy gold/silver/etc. - as a hedge against fiat money and the general financial situation as a whole (crashing). For that same reason I've actually purchased gold and silver recently as I don't want all of my eggs within the crypto basket - the precious metals act as a hedge against both fiat and crypto.

Even if you don't like crypto, given the dire state of things I'd advise those of you who haven't yet done so to invest a significant portion of your wealth (if you have any, that is) in the precious metals. Not ETFs etc. though, actual gold/silver. Don't give those brokers your money for if the shit does hit the fan half of them will be taking a nosedive into the abyss, along with your money.

Eta: if you do invest in gold/silver be aware that certain coins are still deemed legal tender here in the UK (I believe that's the case elsewhere too) and are thus exempt from VAT (buying tax) and CGT (selling tax). Gold soverigns and Britannias, for instance. Silver Britannias are also CGT exempt but you'll probably have to buy them outside the UK to evade the VAT. I got mine from Ireland. You can have them delivered or pay a small fee to house them in a secure vault.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm

I just got scammed by a bitcoin salesman. FFS.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#129  Postby jamest » Mar 15, 2019 12:33 am

How?
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Macdoc » Mar 15, 2019 1:50 am

Jamest get a job as shill for a Bitcoin mob. You are starting to sound like a time share pitchman. :roll:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#131  Postby jamest » Mar 15, 2019 2:07 am

Pitchmen get paid.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 15, 2019 6:42 am

jamest wrote:How?

Offering x amount if I joined the club. Nothing complicated. Just fill in the form and I get €11,000. Yeah I came in on the last turnip cart. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#133  Postby jamest » Mar 15, 2019 10:46 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
jamest wrote:How?

Offering x amount if I joined the club. Nothing complicated. Just fill in the form and I get €11,000. Yeah I came in on the last turnip cart. :lol:

Then you weren't scammed. You just imagined that you were about to be so.

Yes, the crypto world is full of scumbags, but let me remind you that the world of fiat is no different.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#134  Postby jamest » Apr 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Time's running out now, it seems, for anyone interested in crypto to get in before the fomo. Bitcoin pumped several hundred $/£ today for close to a 15% gain, right through the significant resistance of around $4200 which has held it back for a couple+ months.

The expectation is, being oversold/stretched that there will be some price correction forthcoming, but whereas $4200 was once a strong line of resistance, it is now a strong line of support (technical analysis). In other words, it is looking very very probable that the $3100 price saw near Xmas was the actual bottom. I.e. it is looking very probable that the bear market is over.

In actual fact, the next significant line of resistance is around the $6000 mark, but that's still $1200 dollars upwards (currently). If and when it goes through that then we will officially be in fomo territory where the 15% gains saw today will potentially look like small fry and you will officially have missed the boat.

I myself have already made about 25% gains from the time I purchased my crypto, which was only about 6 weeks ago... and I'm definitely not selling.

Sure, I know it could all potentially go pear-shaped. However, I've studied technical analysis and the fundamentals of many of the crypto projects. Given that and the trend since I purchased my crypto, notwithstanding the precipice upon which both fiat and the stock markets are both standing, I still stand by my advice that you should be moving your investments into crypto. Or else gold/silver. Gold and silver aren't really doing much at the moment, but they will do once the shit hits the fan and they're both safe investments anyway.

Just trying to help, really.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#135  Postby OlivierK » Apr 02, 2019 11:19 pm

jamest wrote:I've studied technical analysis ...

So you'd know that the only use of technical analysis is to be able to predict the behaviour of other market participants who study technical analysis. If you haven't worked that out, yet, then you're the prey, not the hunter.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby jamest » Apr 02, 2019 11:31 pm

OlivierK wrote:
jamest wrote:I've studied technical analysis ...

So you'd know that the only use of technical analysis is to be able to predict the behaviour of other market participants who study technical analysis. If you haven't worked that out, yet, then you're the prey, not the hunter.

I've studied both technical analysis and fundamental analysis.

The thing with technical analysis is that it works for the majority of the time, thus it empowers you NOT to be the prey for the majority of the time.

Also, once you have sufficient knowledge and understand risk management you can play the odds (in your favour) by putting in stop-losses. That's how good traders persist. Those who know nothing are pure gamblers and will be rekt in no time.

I'm not even a trader, I just understand how it works. I'm currently an investor, thinking about becoming a trader. It would be perfect for me because I've always wanted to be wholly self reliant/sufficient. Since I'm probably moving home to another area in July and thus losing my job, then it's a serious consideration for me.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#137  Postby OlivierK » Apr 03, 2019 12:33 am

Yeah, thanks for the lecture. My level of understanding reached where you seem to be now while working on the Forex trading floor of an investment bank in the late 1980's, so I'm about 30 years ahead of you here. But you do you.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#138  Postby jamest » Apr 03, 2019 12:39 am

OlivierK wrote:Yeah, thanks for the lecture. My level of understanding reached where you seem to be now while working on the Forex trading floor of an investment bank in the late 1980's, so I'm about 30 years ahead of you here. But you do you.

I'm not into forex, but since I'd predict the death of all fiat within the next generation you could hardly blame me.

If your level of understanding is such that you think technical analysis is folly, then upon wtf basis were you working for 30 years?
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#139  Postby OlivierK » Apr 03, 2019 1:23 am

I didn't say technical analysis is folly, I said what I think it's useful for.

For what it's worth, having appraised the intellectual basis of trading as being no different from the intellectual basis of being a bookie at the races, I worked for the next 10 years in a different industry altogether, and have spent the last 15 as what may once have been termed a "gentleman of means and leisure", although marshalling three kids has dented the "leisure" aspect somewhat.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your take on a fundamental analysis of cryptocurrencies if you have one more nuanced than "they go up when there are more buyers than sellers". Based on your raising fomo to the prominence you have, I'm not sure you've got something with more beef, but I'm open to being surprised.

Also, as someone who hasn't bothered paying much attention to the minutiae of crypto markets, I'm wondering if you could fill me in on something: during a crash such as the various Bitcoin crashes over the last few years, how good have the exchanges been at filling stop loss orders at the set price? Genuinely curious how that has played out historically, especially for small orders, given that cryptocurrencies seem to follow the "up by the stairs, down by the elevator" model even more closely than stocks.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby jamest » Apr 03, 2019 2:19 am

OlivierK wrote:I didn't say technical analysis is folly, I said what I think it's useful for.

Okay, then we're in agreement that technical analysis is very useful in predicting the trends/cycles of assets, which if nothing else sets me apart from the gamblers in this space since I've been studying the financial markets from all angles for close to a year, but more seriously since about September.

It of course pisses me off when members think I'm stupid enough to invest the bulk of my wealth in assets as though I were merely gambling on a horse, which I've been accused of here.

For what it's worth, having appraised the intellectual basis of trading as being no different from the intellectual basis of being a bookie at the races, I worked for the next 10 years in a different industry altogether, and have spent the last 15 as what may once have been termed a "gentleman of means and leisure", although marshalling three kids has dented the "leisure" aspect somewhat.

Any chance of telling us what that industry is? Btw, three kids here too.

I bow down to your experience/knowledge, for sure. I'm not pretending to be an expert. I'm just stating my thoughts, which are that after nearly a year's thoughts/studies, my decision is to invest my limited wealth into crypto and the precious metals. If someone like you can talk me out of it, then I freely give you the stage.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your take on a fundamental analysis of cryptocurrencies if you have one more nuanced than "they go up when there are more buyers than sellers". Based on your raising fomo to the prominence you have, I'm not sure you've got something with more beef, but I'm open to being surprised.

I could probably write several thousand words on the matter, especially given that the fundamentals of the numerous cryptocurrencies differ so much. Since it's very late here, I'll take a rain check.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion