The ramifications of blockchain technology?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#181  Postby jamest » May 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:...don't do anything tomorrow ... tomorrow (Tuesday) is not a good day to buy/sell crypto.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I will certainly resist the temptation of buying cryptocurrency tomorrow - or any other day ending with a "y" for that matter. Image

If you'd have bought it when I advised people to do so back in mid February, you'd have doubled your money already. So, yer know, scorn all you like, because bitcoin is currently the best ROI performing asset in the whole world.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#182  Postby newolder » May 14, 2019 1:46 pm

jamest wrote:
newolder wrote:
jamest wrote:Wow, bitcoin through the 8K threshold as I type this. I'm quite stunned to the point that I want to start typing conspiracy theories along the line that Donald Trump is laundering his savings, or suchlike. On a serious note, surely there is an institution behind all of this because your average Joe cannot create this kind of parabolic action.

Crazy stuff, but what a thrill either way.

It is back to the value it had at the end of July last year. A 10 month investment with zero return. Sounds wonderful, tell me more.

What a dummy remark. The value of all assets rise and fall and if anyone bought bitcoin last July when the trend was down then more fool them. The key is timing your investment correctly, obviously. :nono:

The trend wasn't down. Unless you mean the continued downward trend since the peak of December 2017. :dunno:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#183  Postby jamest » May 14, 2019 1:51 pm

newolder wrote:
jamest wrote:
newolder wrote:
jamest wrote:Wow, bitcoin through the 8K threshold as I type this. I'm quite stunned to the point that I want to start typing conspiracy theories along the line that Donald Trump is laundering his savings, or suchlike. On a serious note, surely there is an institution behind all of this because your average Joe cannot create this kind of parabolic action.

Crazy stuff, but what a thrill either way.

It is back to the value it had at the end of July last year. A 10 month investment with zero return. Sounds wonderful, tell me more.

What a dummy remark. The value of all assets rise and fall and if anyone bought bitcoin last July when the trend was down then more fool them. The key is timing your investment correctly, obviously. :nono:

The trend wasn't down. Unless you mean the continued downward trend since the peak of December 2017. :dunno:

There was a spike in July, a lower high amidst an overall downward trend (bear market) that had begun back in December 2017. Only fools would have bought it back then.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#184  Postby newolder » May 14, 2019 1:55 pm

And the current lower high amidst an overall downward trend (opossum hair dresser*) that began back in December 2017 is a time for un-fools to buy-in, you think?

*A bull thrusts its horns up into the air, while a bear swipes its paws downward and the opossum hair dresser is every which way but generally all the hair ends up on the floor. These actions are metaphors for the movement of a market.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#185  Postby Hermit » May 14, 2019 2:20 pm

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:...don't do anything tomorrow ... tomorrow (Tuesday) is not a good day to buy/sell crypto.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I will certainly resist the temptation of buying cryptocurrency tomorrow - or any other day ending with a "y" for that matter. Image

If you'd have bought it when I advised people to do so back in mid February, you'd have doubled your money already. So, yer know, scorn all you like, because bitcoin is currently the best ROI performing asset in the whole world.

So yer know, I've lost interest in gambling on the financial market in particular somewhere in the late 1960s and gambling in general early in 1972. No matter how hard you try to infect others with your most recent enthusiasm, you're quite unlikely to rekindle mine. I can only guess at my lack of it. Maybe I'm just not the idealist that you are. ;)
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#186  Postby tuco » May 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Idealist lol
tuco

Print view this post

#187  Postby Hermit » May 14, 2019 2:33 pm

tuco wrote:Idealist lol

That's what JamesT calls himself. I don't know how he reconciles his solipsism with his chase for material wealth, i don't know, but there he is.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#188  Postby tuco » May 14, 2019 2:37 pm

I know that is why I loled. But wait, the blockchains are not all that material, are they? ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#189  Postby Hermit » May 14, 2019 2:47 pm

tuco wrote:I know that is why I loled. But wait, the blockchains are not all that material, are they? ;)

Not in the literal sense, but you know that's not about the literal meaning of 'material', don't you?

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#190  Postby tuco » May 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Hence the .. joke /sighs
tuco

Print view this post

#191  Postby jamest » May 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Hermit wrote:

That's what JamesT calls himself. I don't know how he reconciles his solipsism with his chase for material wealth, i don't know, but there he is.

I'm not really in it for material wealth per se, but for freedom. Whether I like it or not, unless I'm willing to live like a caveman there are bills to be paid and mouths to feed. And I'm fed up of working.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#192  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 14, 2019 8:05 pm

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:

I'm not really in it for material wealth per se, but for freedom.

But if you've discovered the secret of the universe, that this experience is an illusion, then you're already free, aren't you?

Whether I like it or not, unless I'm willing to live like a caveman

Why are you concerned with not living like a caveman? It's almost like material comfort and a period specific standard of living is very important to you.

there are bills to be paid and mouths to feed. And I'm fed up of working.

Why do you need to deal with any of that? It's all an illusion, right?
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Macdoc » May 14, 2019 10:16 pm

don't quit your day job ...I pity your family :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#194  Postby jamest » May 15, 2019 10:59 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:

But if you've discovered the secret of the universe, that this experience is an illusion, then you're already free, aren't you?

If you ask me to talk about my philosophy I usually would, but this thread is more-or-less about all things cryptocurrency.

The thing is, nobody here really understands my philosophy so they always ask me daft questions like yours as a means to undermining it in response to something I've said about [say] crypto investments. This isn't the first time it's happened and it won't be the last.

I don't want to turn this into a thread about reconciling my philosophy with my attitudes reported within this thread, so though I will respond it will be the only time that I do so within this thread. If you're after a more in-depth discussion about the subject then seek to start a new thread afterwards.

... So, although I believe everything in the world is an illusion, a dream of sorts, the orchestrated sensations/qualia giving rise to experience are real. For example, the sensation of pain is real. Therefore, merely understanding that the world of everything is an illusion does not suffice to save you from feeling pain. If I feel terrible pain, I'll probably cry like a baby. :waah:

When you're playing a game on the Xbox or whatever, you KNOW that the game is an illusion but you still try to do the right things within the game in order to avoid unwanted consequences, such as having to restart the mission from scratch. There's no pain involved. The motives energising you to get through the scenario are those associated with maximising your satisfaction-through-achievement levels whilst minimising your boredom/frustration levels. We hate being bored and frustrated yet love to feel satisfied, which are real feelings associated with the reality of what we are, so the extent to which we play the game hinges upon how much boredom and frustration we're willing to accept in order to achieve success. That's the psychology of it all. The bottom-line is it's the reality of what we are and what we feel which manage to motivate how we behave when playing illusionary Xbox games.

Now, imagine yourself knowing that from now on, all Xbox et al games will only give you just one chance. You'll never be able to play again after the first time that you fuck up sufficient to end your experience of it according to the rules of that game? Of course, the gaming business would be kaput because nobody would be willing to pay significant money for a game which will probably only last a few minutes.

Worse still, imagine instead a future whereby technology has improved so much that whenever you play Xbox games, you won't just have emotions associated with boredom and success. From now on, you'll also feel pain! For example, if your character in the game gets hit on the head by a hammer from some other nasty character, you'll actually feel the pain associated with such an event!!

This of course would also obviously spell the end of the gaming business. However, let's go one stage further and propose that it's the ONLY game in town. Which leads to where I am at with my philosophy, which is to the realisation that I have no desire to feel any kind of pain that 'life experience' deals me, whilst simultaneously not wanting to become another victim of said game.

And so, I'm doing what I'm doing in order to minimise my pain by maximising my freedoms from that game, by doing such things as wearing a hard hat and investing in bitcoin. It's a hedge, designed to prolongue one's continuity within the game.

Reconciling my philosophy with the illusion of the world is that simple. Clearly, the more quality time I have in the game, unconcerned with pains of all kinds, yields more chance of a satisfactory outcome.
Last edited by jamest on May 16, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#195  Postby jamest » May 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Macdoc wrote:

don't quit your day job ...I pity your family :nono:

I will resist the urge to tell you to go and fuck yourself with something frozen, because I've seen the good in you over the last year or so. The number of times you made the effort to help me on my American adventure last summer, for example. I won't ever forget that. So, I'll mercifully allow you to bludgeon me at your whim.

You don't understand me nor my philosophy, Sir, but you're a relic of your time and culture so I must take that into account also. Nevertheless, rest assured that I'm doing the best for my family, if not myself. Indeed, if only jamest was involved then perhaps there would be no motivation to play the game at all. Because, what a fucking crap game this is, all things considered.

Between now and my strings being cut I'll be considering only two things:

1) How to help my family get the best quality of life that they can from this crap game.
2) How to help anyone achieve the same (which is why I bother, here).

The bottom-line though is that although I'm unconventional, I have my family's back. So, yer know, please try and not be so judgemental about me in the future, perhaps.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#196  Postby jamest » May 16, 2019 12:19 am

Alternatively, I could just talk about crypto again, in which case you have to wonder how an arsehole such as me could have doubled+ the value of his investments in just 3 months.

I had 'the audacity' to interject into this thread 3 months ago, whilst bitcoin was hovering at a price approximately 80% lower than it was about 13 months previous, that if you invested in bitcoin now (then, in February), as I had, you'd be doing yourselves a big favour.

Seriously, given that many knowledgeable commentators were predicting 'zero' for bitcoin/crypto at that time (iirc, Hermit said he would buy in when the price reached less that $400) ask yourselves why I would have done such a thing KNOWING WITHOUT A DOUBT the negative repercussions of being wrong in a place that is already determined to hang me out to dry.

Bitcoin is atm $8200. It broke through the 6+k level like a knife through butter, which shocked me too. The realism now is that this is now the beginning of the next bull market. The value of BTC might go down a bit from here, but a new upwards trend has been established.

There is positive news upon the horizon too, not least Fidelity's forthcoming participation, offering 'safe investment' for those requiring such news prior to investing. Further, the BTC halving event is only a year away.

You may have missed the boat in terms of doubling your money in 3 months, but this is just the 2nd minute of the first quarter. It's not too late. Either keep taking the piss whilst my wallet fattens, or bite the bullet.

For my part, I've done all I can to help you here, including highlighting the fact that the next financial disaster is imminent.
That's all I can do. If you do your own research you'll discover the same results for yourself.

As always, from day one, my intention was to get you to pull your heads out of the sand. For your own sakes.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#197  Postby Macdoc » May 16, 2019 2:36 am

Jamest - the day you admit you are simply speculating with family money in a very high risk manner is the day you'll earn some respect.

I'm far more familiar with bitcoin than you are ...my business associate is a broker and has done very well by it and that has been beneficial to in an indirect way to me ....he understands completely as do I that it is 100% speculative. He makes his money on exchanging bitcoins for cash and vice versus for people like you ..not in speculation on it which is all you are doing.
There is no underlying wealth as there is in buying a stocks like Intel or banks and coupon clipping the dividends.

This is the kind of "technical analysis" that has made famous traders like Warren Buffet wealthy.
https://www.investors.com/research/ibd- ... estimates/

snip as an example of analysis of underlying factors and performance indicators leading to growth in value,
Changing The Diabetes Treatment Paradigm

Tandem makes insulin pumps for diabetes treatment. These body-worn medical devices steadily deliver insulin to diabetics whose patients don't produce enough — or any — of the hormone. This deficiency can put them in danger of harmful spikes in blood sugar.

The medical devices company is benefiting from the growing number of type 1 diabetics, he said. There are an estimated 40 million type 1 diabetics worldwide. Due to a genetic defect, these patients are reliant on outside sources of insulin.

About half of all type 1 diabetics rely on a staple in traditional diabetes treatment: multiple daily injections of insulin, O'Neil said. So, medical device makers like Tandem, Medtronic (MDT) and Insulet (PODD) have a huge potential market in front of them.

O'Neil has a buy rating and 100 price target on Tandem stock. He also owns Tandem stock.

Craig Hallum analyst Alexander Nowak expects Tandem's market share to grow. Currently, Medtronic leads the insulin pump market.

"An important datapoint that came up on the (first-quarter earnings) call (is) that 45% of new pumps sold are Tandem's, despite Tandem only having 14% share in the market today," he said in his recent note to clients. "This indicates Tandem's share is poised to move much higher.

There is no similar analysis for a speculative medium like Bitcoin. You might as well throw the bones.
With tulips at least you had a pretty flower..... :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Hermit » May 16, 2019 5:14 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:

If you ask me to talk about my philosophy I usually would, but this thread is more-or-less about all things cryptocurrency.

The thing is, nobody here really understands my philosophy so they always ask me daft questions like yours as a means to undermining it in response to something I've said about [say] crypto investments. This isn't the first time it's happened and it won't be the last.

I don't want to turn this into a thread about reconciling my philosophy with my attitudes reported within this thread, so though I will respond it will be the only time that I do so within this thread. If you're after a more in-depth discussion about the subject then seek to start a new thread afterwards.

... So, although I believe everything in the world is an illusion, a dream of sorts, the orchestrated sensations/qualia giving rise to experience are real. For example, the sensation of pain is real. Therefore, merely understanding that the world of everything is an illusion does not suffice to save you from feeling pain. If I feel terrible pain, I'll probably cry like a baby. :waah:

When you're playing a game on the Xbox or whatever, you KNOW that the game is an illusion but you still try to do the right things within the game in order to avoid unwanted consequences, such as having to restart the mission from scratch. There's no pain involved. The motives energising you to get through the scenario are those associated with maximising your satisfaction-through-achievement levels whilst minimising your boredom/frustration levels. We hate being bored and frustrated yet love to feel satisfied, which are real feelings associated with the reality of what we are, so the extent to which we play the game hinges upon how much boredom and frustration we're willing to accept in order to achieve success. That's the psychology of it all. The bottom-line is it's the reality of what we are and what we feel which manage to motivate how we behave when playing illusionary Xbox games.

Now, imagine yourself knowing that from now on, all Xbox et al games will only give you just one chance. You'll never be able to play again after the first time that you fuck up sufficient to end your experience of it according to the rules of that game? Of course, the gaming business would be kaput because nobody would be willing to pay significant money for a game which will probably only last a few minutes.

Worse still, imagine instead a future whereby technology has improved so much that whenever you play Xbox games, you won't just have emotions associated with boredom and success. From now on, you'll also feel pain! For example, if your character in the game gets hit on the head by a hammer from some other nasty character, you'll actually feel the pain associated with such an event!!

This of course would also obviously spell the end of the gaming business. However, let's go one stage further and propose that it's the ONLY game in town. Which leads to where I am at with my philosophy, which is to the realisation that I have no desire to feel any kind of pain that 'life experience' deals me, whilst simultaneously not wanting to become another victim of said game.

And so, I'm doing what I'm doing in order to minimise my pain by maximising my freedoms from that game, by doing such things as wearing a hard hat and investing in bitcoin. It's a hedge, designed to prolongue one's continuity within the game.

Reconciling my philosophy with the illusion of the world is that simple. Clearly, the more quality time I have in the game, unconcerned with pains of all kinds, yields more chance of a satisfactory outcome.

In short, a rather wordy way of saying: "The belief that everything in the world is an illusion rather than real makes no difference to behaviour."

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#199  Postby newolder » May 17, 2019 11:38 am

Just another day, eh? :roll:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/bitcoin ... level.html
Bitcoin price tanks less than a day after trading above $8,000 level
PUBLISHED FRI, MAY 17 2019 1:22 AM EDTUPDATED MOMENTS AGO
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#200  Postby felltoearth » May 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Pump and dump.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion