The ramifications of blockchain technology?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#261  Postby Svartalf » May 27, 2019 6:35 am

Actually, if civilisation breaks down enough that fiat money loses value, it's likely all major networks, including power and web, will break down too, and cryptocurrencies desperately need power to feed the computers that are their sole source of existence and 'legitimacy'...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 1096
Age: 49
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#262  Postby OlivierK » May 27, 2019 8:49 am

Nah, I'm sure James's ISP will survive the collapse of their sole medium of customer revenue and wage payments.[/snark]
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 8828
Age: 53
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#263  Postby Fallible » May 27, 2019 11:16 am

jamest wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Anyone who knew anything about trading and cryptocurrency wouldn't have been buying into it after the spring of 2018, I shit you not. The trend is your friend.


This person works in the sector. It’s safe to say they know a lot. Certainly more than you.

How the fuck would you know what he knew about the sector when you know fuck all about the sector yourself?


...because they work in the sector. I refuse to believe you’re this stupid.

I've made almost 300% profits in a shade over 3 months.


What you say you’ve done is beyond useless.

Ask your client how much profits he's made. If he's made more than 300% profits then ask him why he's fucking bothering you. Because, rest assured, if an addiction of any kind makes you wealthier, healthier, smarter, wiser, or whatever, then that addiction is GOOD.


You still don’t understand your limitations, do you. Or what words mean. Please try to understand that no one on the planet should rest assured by anything you’ve told them, and certainly not when it comes to addiction (or cryptocurrency).

There's only one reason why this client of yours is visiting you, and that's because he's LOSING MONEY on a regular basis.


I know you don’t care if you look a twat, but I should point out that, to the surprise of everyone, you’re quite wrong again.



There's another potential reason, which is that people of a certain ilk with an identity/purpose crisis trust their mentality to people who know fuck all about identity and purpose, such as yourself, because they buy into your bullshit credentials as though they give you a mark of expertise.


Are you a Scientologist? I ask because over the years, you’ve exhibited the same paranoia about psychology and the same belief that you yourself can fix people with string, brown paper, a bit of cash and a following wind. Again, you have no problem with laying your ignorance bare for all to see. You’re the second person in a week who has held forth on what my job entails without actually knowing what my job entails. Good work, Einstein.

Notwithstanding the fact that you know fuck all about trading, cryptocurrency,


How can you hope to have a reasonable exchange with anyone when you won’t learn? It’s already been explained to you in detail why in depth knowledge of the specific focus of the addiction is not necessary. I’m not responsible for your wilful ignorance.

or even seem to understand that not all addictions are bad,


You know more about cryptocurrency than someone who makes their living working in the sector, you know more about addiction than an addiction specialist, you are literally God...no wonder you spend your nights drunk posting on a tiny obscure Internet forum. A wise choice for the possessor of so many talents.

you certainly have no expertise on our identity and purpose.


Yeah...again, you’re apparently attempting to disparage me personally by denying my fitness to do my job, but you haven’t bothered to make sure that you actually understand what my job is.

Spare me the bollocks.


I think God or evolution already did that for you.

And spare me the arrogance behind it too.


A petrified tree stump has more self-awareness than you do.

Because I think that your [establishment]


Oh? And what’s that?

attitude is a pox upon the future wellbeing of humanity.


Sure, sure. David Miscavige called. He wants his swivel-eyed lunacy back.

If you want to do your client a proper favour, ask him/her to talk to me.
[/quote]

I’m magic. I predicted you’d end by saying that. I’m not even joking. I’m aware of a previous attempt by you to help someone out. You hooked em in with a bit of cash, started placing demands on them, then came here to trumpet to everyone about how ungrateful they were. If you’re bothered about attitudes being harmful, start with your own. Of course, you won’t.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 49032
Age: 46
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#264  Postby surreptitious57 » May 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Anyone who disagrees with james is by default wrong and has to be corrected immediately in order to expose their stupidity
I may be a fucking idiot who knows fuck all about anything but that is infinitely better than being a sanctimonius know it all

Your balls wont shrink jimmy if once in a while you admit to being fallible [ no joke intended there ]

You come across as being incredibly arrogant and patronising talking about things entirely beyond your level of knowledge
I live in hope that time may mellow you even though you seem hell bent on disproving this at every available opportunity
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10074

Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#265  Postby Keep It Real » May 27, 2019 1:20 pm

Fallible wrote:I’m aware of a previous attempt by you to help someone out. You hooked em in with a bit of cash, started placing demands on them, then came here to trumpet to everyone about how ungrateful they were. If you’re bothered about attitudes being harmful, start with your own. Of course, you won’t.


My ears are burning, so I have to say that there is an objective difference between buying a skint somebody a few drinks as an Xmas prezzie and "trying to help them." I think the aforementioned cash bung was more the former than the latter - and it made many a smile for some time before things went Pete Tong so wasn't all bad by any stretch.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 8586
Age: 38
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#266  Postby surreptitious57 » May 27, 2019 1:35 pm

It did eventually go a bit Pete Tong but I still think that the original gesture was well intentioned
He helped you out when he had no reason to so he cannot be all bad as he is after all only human
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10074

Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#267  Postby Keep It Real » May 27, 2019 1:38 pm

This idea that the best way forward for somebody who requires addiction counselling for their preoccupation with crypto-currency is somehow to get MORE into crypto-currency seems totally bananas to me :dunno:
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 8586
Age: 38
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#268  Postby Fallible » May 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Can I just say, to tenuously cling to the topic, my initial comment was only that I noticed I have my first ever client in trouble through bitcoin booked in. I said nothing other than that, nothing disparaging about the currency or investing in it. It was just something I noticed that I thought I’d share. James just decided to launch in as though I’d attacked something or someone.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 49032
Age: 46
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#269  Postby Thommo » May 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Fun fact: 300% profit means you have sold for four times the price at which you bought.

For example if you bought a bitcoin at $3,500 and sold it for $14,000 you would have made a 300% profit. To the best of my knowledge jamest has not in fact done this, on two counts.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26132

Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#270  Postby felltoearth » May 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Math was never his strong suit.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11609
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#271  Postby OlivierK » May 27, 2019 10:34 pm

To give james his dues, I'm quite happy to admit that someone who does their homework on speculative markets will, in general, outperform as a trader someone who's gone in without a clue, and james shows signs of having done his homework.

One of the things that's tricky about speculative markets is working out when the instrument is overbought. It's easier with stocks, where you can calculate P/E ratios and the like, or even with fiat currencies, but I'm wondering about how one would go about determining that a cryptocurrency was overbought (if you were the sort of person who didn't think this was a permanent state).

So a question for james: is there a level for BTC that would make you think "Holy shit, a price this high right now is madness - I should sell!". If so, how do you work out where that level is?
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 8828
Age: 53
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#272  Postby jamest » May 27, 2019 10:55 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
My cred is reflected in the charts.

If cred's in the charts, then Buffett's got you beat for decades. He's been doing this for more than five seconds, unlike you, and has made far more money than you could ever possibly hope to make.

WB's wealth coincides with his age, nationality and the economics of his time. He was a smart chap, obviously, but his country is now on the verge of being usurped by China, his country's currency is now on the verge of collapse, the stock markets are on the verge of catastrophic collapse, yet he still utters the same bullshit philosophy regardless. In short, he's a dinosaur, ignoring a very big comet.

I have respect for what he's done, but not for what he's doing, which is denying that there's a comet on the way. History frequently changes and establishments collapse into the abyss on a regular basis. WB obviously doesn't grasp this, or else is motivated to fight it for his own sake or for the sake of his country. He cannot fight it for much longer, regardless of his age, for all the data/reports show that the 'American dream' is turning out to be the biggest fucking disappointment of all time.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 17848
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#273  Postby Macdoc » May 27, 2019 11:26 pm

:roll:

watching Youtube again sigh.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 15712
Age: 71
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#274  Postby jamest » May 27, 2019 11:49 pm

That's right, there's nothing 'great' about America nor the attitudes of its people (generally). Donald Trump is the epitome of everything that is fucked with America and its philosophy. The bizarre thing is that many commentators are predicting he'll get a second run. That speaks volumes.

We in The West are currently living through its dive into the abyss. Those who do not recognise the signs are either blind, stupid, or are merely defending their wealth for selfish reasons. For instance, those betraying the brexit referendum of 2016, not least democracy, do so for their own selfish agendas. There should be NO instance in a democratic society where a vote for X is betrayed. None. EVER. The moment you do that, the moment the ideal itself dies. Yet, millions of people across the UK are willing to betray democracy for their own arrogant beliefs and selfish demands.
Fuck that. If brexit doesn't happen then as far as I'm concerned you can shove democracy up your arse, and I and about half the voters in the UK (mainly England) will NEVER believe in this bullshit system ever again. Betrayal of that depth has profound consequences. PROFOUND consequences.

I've never been wealthy, though last year a pension plan I started when I was in my mid-twenties enabled me to acquire enough money to pay for a holiday to investigate a country I was fascinated with since my youth, watching John Wayne movies etc.. What was left I have poured into crypto and (to a slightly lesser degree) gold & silver.

You'd imagine that somebody who had never experienced wealth before would panic and sell the minute his investments had doubled in value. Well, I cannot do that, because I'm absolutely sure that converting my investments back into GBP by placing my rewards into the banks or shares would be the act of an idiot. So, I am compelled to hold my investments, at least for now. My sensible options seem to be sell and hold tether (a crypto stable coin) should I sniff a crypto catastrophe, or else plough it all into the precious metals. I have to be dynamic in what I do, because I don't trust politicians or banks. They're all cunts, using lies and propaganda to protect their own corrupt philosophies, power and wealth. Fuck 'em. All of them.

I'm trying to inform you people, this small group of whom I have chosen to interact with for the last decade-ish, that you don't have to be victims to the next catastrophe. Or, at least, that there are things that you can do to soften the blows thereof.

I'll keep on trying, because being called a cunt has never stopped me in the past (regarding God), so why should I not extend that philosophy to material wisdom? Though in my philosophy the world is an illusion, pain and suffering are very real feelings of a very real being. I don't want anybody here to suffer, even those of you who call me a cunt on a daily basis, so I shall persist.

I will update you all with bulletins from time to time, regards buying/selling/swapping etc., as we're living in very turbulent times. Yes, I'm close to tripling my money in 3 months, but I'm not daft enough to think that this trend will last. So, watch this space.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 17848
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#275  Postby jamest » May 28, 2019 12:01 am

Macdoc wrote::roll:

watching Youtube again sigh.

There are many means of education. In the old days it was through books. Then television. Now, youtube too.

WB is a fucking dinosaur of his time, whose mind is/was stuck to deal with the circumstances and philosophies thereof, who has no idea how to respond to a rapidly changing world.

I like you Macdoc. You're the only person left here who gets to call me a cunt without repercussions, regards frozen badgers etc., but if I may be honest with you, then you're no different to WB - a dinosaur of his time.

There's no NEED to be a victim of one's time and the philosophies/attitudes thereof. The greatest visionaries throughout history have understood this instinctively, if not through reason.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 17848
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#276  Postby jamest » May 28, 2019 1:10 am

OlivierK wrote:To give james his dues, I'm quite happy to admit that someone who does their homework on speculative markets will, in general, outperform as a trader someone who's gone in without a clue, and james shows signs of having done his homework.

One of the things that's tricky about speculative markets is working out when the instrument is overbought. It's easier with stocks, where you can calculate P/E ratios and the like, or even with fiat currencies, but I'm wondering about how one would go about determining that a cryptocurrency was overbought (if you were the sort of person who didn't think this was a permanent state).

So a question for james: is there a level for BTC that would make you think "Holy shit, a price this high right now is madness - I should sell!". If so, how do you work out where that level is?

I don't have the same expertise as you, as I've only been researching crypto and economics generally for about a year. I certainly have no academic credentials. I admit that for any outsider that I must look like a fucking fool, but I can bet that there's not many fools that you know who have EVER made investments which are threatening to triple in value in 3+ months?

Regardless, I'm thinking of selling prior to the 10K levels for psychological reasons. More to follow.

Anyway, I use several means of assessing the mood/market, including one that you personally might not have used yourself (dunno) that is google trends. Also, the usual suspects, such as volume, RSI, MacD, bollinger bands, moving averages. Also, the trend is your friend: patterns. Bart Simpson? :grin:

I was lucky enough to discover that the crypto market was on the verge of a massive bearish reversal at the beginning of this year. Lucky only in the timing of my research and discovery/conclusion. I decided to invest, significantly.

My opinion is that this uptrend will be positive for a good couple of years, generally. So far, this is how it's played out. However, there are going to be times when significant plunges occur. In the future, I will be riding these waves based upon news and technical analysis such as to maximise my profits (trading bitcoin for altcoins or all coins for tether - a stable coin). I can also short, of course.

Now that bitcoin is close to 9K, I expect nothing significant to happen until 10K. Lots of people will want to sell at that level, I suspect, and the price might take a big plunge as a consequence, Therefore, for the first time, I'm considering selling my Btc at around the $9750 mark and converting it to Tether. Certainly, I don't expect that Btc shall pass through the 10K mark like a knife through butter. I shall assess the situation when it happens, as a whole.

I've also got plans for litecoin, as I mentioned previously. There's the potential there to make massive gains within the next month or so due to the halving event. Indeed, I've already made more than $2000 on that asset since I invested, but that reward only seems to be part of the general scheme.

I also have significant investments in Ethereum. That's been a good investment too, but as a trader I need to know which coins are producing the most consistent rewards, such that I can regularly swap one coin for another as a means to reward. Binance is perfect for that.

I have knowledge sufficient to understand trading bots too, to enhance my rewards. I'm fully aware of risk/reward ratios, money management. Etc.. In other words, I know what I'm doing, I think. I've taken my time. I'm even enjoying it. It suits me.

At the end of the day, I'm risking about 20K to make upwards of a million pounds within two to three years. It's a no brainer, for me.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 17848
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#277  Postby jamest » May 28, 2019 1:28 am

Also, for what it's worth, anyone thinking of doing a similar thing should be on the ball regards records of transactions for tax purposes. Rest assured that there are websites/apps/accountants out there to save you those headaches.

If anyone wants advice with any issue regarding crypto investing, I'll gladly respond either here or via pm. From wallets, to tax, to technical analysis, to courses, whatever. Either here or via pm. I promise you that I won't be making any money from giving you that advice, even if I recommend certain exchanges/wallets/whatever.

This advice is open to anyone who asks, even those who want to shaft me with my own badgers. This is my online community, the community I have chosen to stay with for about a decade. Therefore, I should do what I can for that community for free, is my philosophy.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 17848
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#278  Postby OlivierK » May 28, 2019 1:50 am

Well, if you're ever even vaguely in sight of turning your 20K into a mill, I hope you take Macdoc's advice and take 40K out in GBP so you're ahead even if the "turning to shit" event is not in the market you thought it would be.

As for fools who triple their money in three months, they can be found at any racecourse, getting that sort of return in 3 minutes.

Trading purely speculative instruments is a mixture of luck and skill. While it's not smart to go in with no skill, it's also not the case that it's the skill that gets you the returns - it's just not possible to say how much comes from skill, and how much from luck, and you'll always get a distribution of returns, from very positive to very negative. If you like playing red, you just have to hope you never get a dozen blacks in a row.

I do note that when you talk about your investment strategy, you tend to do so in very absolutist terms (much as you seem to have pretty black-and-white views on other subjects). From a risk management perspective, there are certainly times where being half in and half out is a reasonable strategy, and with a large unrealised gain, you might want to consider a stop-loss strategy (or profit taking strategy, for that matter) more nuanced than "all out at $X" - effectively breaking your position into parts, and trading each part with different attitudes to risk - if you're not already doing so.
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 8828
Age: 53
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#279  Postby surreptitious57 » May 28, 2019 3:31 am

I am quite sceptical of your claim that you can make a million in 3 years from 20 grand
investment but I sincerely hope that you do make at least some profit if not that much

All joking aside if you do make a success of it you will finally have something that you can
speak about with a degree of authority that might earn you the respect of every one here

I know that you have absolutely no time for me but I really do genuinely wish you all the best man
I would seriously suggest however that you take the advice in the last paragraph of the post above
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10074

Print view this post

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#280  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 28, 2019 5:34 am

We have to take Jamest's word that he is making money dont we? This is internet and I am a female billionaire with various offshore accounts. Prove otherwise.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43008
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest