The Real History of the Freemasons?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Real History of the Freemasons?

#21  Postby galexander » May 22, 2020 11:15 am

The_Metatron wrote:It’s my experience that when someone uses the adjective “real” in their title, their material usually describes things that are not reality. Actual reality requires no label declaring it to be so.

I don't agree. The only reason I used "real" in my title was to distinguish between what I was saying and the huge amount of pseudo-history out there regarding the Freemasons, much of which comes from contemporary Freemasonry itself.

If Freemasonry originated from medieval trade guilds, why do they have to swear oaths of secrecy? In the medieval era secret oaths would have been completely illegal.
galexander

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Fallible » May 22, 2020 12:30 pm

:picard:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby GrahamH » May 22, 2020 12:58 pm

galexander wrote:In the medieval era secret oaths would have been completely illegal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#24  Postby BlackBart » May 22, 2020 1:03 pm

GrahamH wrote:
galexander wrote:In the medieval era secret oaths would have been completely illegal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Source: Dr ops-tea-towel-holder

:coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Svartalf » May 22, 2020 2:06 pm

galexander wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

If Freemasonry originated from medieval trade guilds, why do they have to swear oaths of secrecy? In the medieval era secret oaths would have been completely illegal.

To begin with, a secret oath (an oath made secretly) is not an oath of secrecy, secondly, what's your source about either kind being "illegal" in medieval times?

I do guess that an oath of secrecy would not have been upheld in front of a court, but then again, oath breakers would have answered to their 'brothers', not in front of a court.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 22, 2020 3:12 pm

galexander wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:It’s my experience that when someone uses the adjective “real” in their title, their material usually describes things that are not reality. Actual reality requires no label declaring it to be so.

I don't agree. The only reason I used "real" in my title was to distinguish between what I was saying and the huge amount of pseudo-history out there regarding the Freemasons, much of which comes from contemporary Freemasonry itself.

Not only is that last sentence false. It's a non-sequitur to conclude from it that no-one in medieval times swore secret oaths (i.e. everyone in medieval times followed the law at all times.) :coffee:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby galexander » May 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Svartalf wrote:To begin with, a secret oath (an oath made secretly) is not an oath of secrecy, secondly, what's your source about either kind being "illegal" in medieval times?

I do guess that an oath of secrecy would not have been upheld in front of a court, but then again, oath breakers would have answered to their 'brothers', not in front of a court.

The Tolpuddle Martyrs were convicted of swearing a secret oath in 1834. Some centuries after the medieval era.

The only oath that could be legally sworn in the medieval era would have been an oath of absolute loyalty to the King. But that is probably what the Freemasons are swearing anyway.
galexander

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Svartalf » May 22, 2020 5:59 pm

You're aware that the so called tolpuddle martyrs were arrested on a technicality, and convicted under an act passed in 1797, following serious mutinies and aimed at repressing revoluyionary associations so as to avoid the atrocities like those that had happened in France... not only did it happen long after middle ages but the very law invoked was a very recent one.

and the second part is false and nonsensical.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 22, 2020 6:02 pm

galexander wrote:
Svartalf wrote:To begin with, a secret oath (an oath made secretly) is not an oath of secrecy, secondly, what's your source about either kind being "illegal" in medieval times?

The Tolpuddle Martyrs were convicted of swearing a secret oath in 1834. Some centuries after the medieval era.

Which at best tells you something about laws about secret oaths in that region, at time.
Not about the legality of secret oaths in the whole of Europe in 1834.
And certainly not the legality of secret oaths in Medieval Europe.

galexander wrote:
The only oath that could be legally sworn in the medieval era would have been an oath of absolute loyalty to the King. But that is probably what the Freemasons are swearing anyway.

Utter nonsense. Where do you get such bullshit?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » May 22, 2020 8:39 pm

This thread is ridiculous...
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Ironclad » May 22, 2020 10:19 pm

LOL ain’t they all though
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#32  Postby galexander » May 23, 2020 10:29 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
galexander wrote:

Utter nonsense. Where do you get such bulls**t?

Presumably this forum believes the Freemasons like swearing oaths for the fun of it and that it's part a long standing tradition.........

.........and that this isn't BS at all!

And why do I get the strong impression there are trolls on this thread? Hardly any of the posters on this thread are impartial in any way.
galexander

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Svartalf » May 23, 2020 10:39 am

interesting, do you have a mirror next to your computer?

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 23, 2020 11:21 am

galexander wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
galexander wrote:

Presumably this forum believes the Freemasons like swearing oaths for the fun of it and that it's part a long standing tradition.........

Is it that you struggle with basic reading comprehension, or are ludicrous straw-man arguments your go-to response when you're called out on your bullshit?
No-one even hinted, much less argued the bit I bolded.
I am pointing out that your counterfactual blind assertion that oath swearing outside of to the king, was illegal.

galexander wrote:And why do I get the strong impression there are trolls on this thread? Hardly any of the posters on this thread are impartial in any way.

:roll: Says the person who consistently fails to engage with what people actually post, instead opting to lob ever more deranged straw-man accusations around... :coffee:

*Edit, why did you censor my use of the world bullshit? :roll:
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on May 23, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby galexander » May 23, 2020 1:58 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Is it that you struggle with basic reading comprehension, or are ludicrous straw-man arguments your go-to response when you're called out on your bullshit?
I am pointing out that your counterfactual blind assertion that oath swearing outside of to the king, was illegal.

galexander wrote:And why do I get the strong impression there are trolls on this thread? Hardly any of the posters on this thread are impartial in any way.

:roll: Says the person who consistently fails to engage with what people actually post, instead opting to lob ever more deranged straw-man accusations around... :coffee:

Can you convince me that you are not a professional poster with some 30,742 posts to date?

It's not just yourself either, there are other posters on this thread with some 20,000+ and 50,000+ posts to date. I can't see how it's possible for just one person to post so many comments on a single forum.

How many posts do you make a day typically?
galexander

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Fallible » May 23, 2020 1:59 pm

galexander wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
galexander wrote:

And why do I get the strong impression there are trolls on this thread? Hardly any of the posters on this thread are impartial in any way.

Why are you censoring other people’s posts? Thomas quite clearly meant to say BULLSHIT. Don’t mess around with other people’s posts. Your thread is ludicrous. Your objections are puerile. Your expressed point of view makes no sense, and you are now resorting to making things up and tone policing, presumably because you can’t address what’s put to you. Why did you even expect anyone to be impartial? You sound like you’re trolling yourself.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Fallible » May 23, 2020 2:01 pm

galexander wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Is it that you struggle with basic reading comprehension, or are ludicrous straw-man arguments your go-to response when you're called out on your bullshit?

Can you convince me that you are not a professional poster with some 30,742 posts to date?

It's not just yourself either, there are other posters on this thread with some 20,000+ and 50,000+ posts to date. I can't see how it's possible for just one person to post so many comments on a single forum.

Why are you focusing on the individual, and doing so off-topic? Are you trolling? This forum is over 10 years old. No one has to convince you of anything. Stop being silly.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby felltoearth » May 23, 2020 2:01 pm

galexander wrote:

Lol. This forum is ten years old. Do the math, not the meth.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 23, 2020 2:05 pm

galexander wrote:

Wtf even is a 'professional poster'? My responses to your inane drivel are sincere.
I do not post on this site to earn a living however.

galexander wrote:It's not just yourself either, there are other posters on this thread with some 20,000+ and 50,000+ posts to date.

I've been a member for over 10 years. As have many of the others.

galexander wrote: I can't see how it's possible for just one person to post so many comments on a single forum.

Not only is this a silly appeal to personal incredulity and ignorance fallacy, that fails to hide your failure to address the points being raised, it's also quite telling that you don't understand how regular posters with over a decade of membership can reach high posting numbers.

galexander wrote:How many posts do you make a day typically?

How more transparently are you going to attempt to shift attention away from the thread topic and the responses you got? Pathetic. :coffee:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby felltoearth » May 23, 2020 2:07 pm

galexander seems to think that if you have an informed opinion and make it known, that makes you a troll.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion