The tale of our ecological footprints as best we can convey

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The tale of our ecological footprints as best we can convey

#261  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 22, 2019 8:56 am

tuco wrote:Indeed, we also need no balls emoticon. Then we could combine the two: wanking with no balls.

Exactly: then it could be used for people who, whenever they are incapable of responding to discussions in a discussion forum, have a little tizzy, throw their toys out of the pram, put the baddies on their list of unspeakables, then proceed to continue resurrecting that very same discussion across a series of unrelated threads...

No balls wanking indeed.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#262  Postby felltoearth » Jun 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Interesting article but I think they buried the lede quoted below.

Former Shale Gas CEO Says Fracking Revolution Has Been 'A Disaster' For Drillers, Investors | DeSmogBlog
In brief comments following Schlotterbeck’s remarks, Charles Schliebs of Stone Pier Capital Advisors recalled an earlier — but failed — plan to drive demand for shale gas, one heavily pushed by former Chesapeake Energy CEO Aubrey McClendon, who died in a car crash a day after being indicted by federal prosecutors with the Department of Justice over alleged bid-rigging.

McClendon, Schliebs recalled, had urged car makers to start building cars that would run on compressed natural gas, or CNG. “Aubrey had amazing plans and was spending a lot of money and doing things to push CNG in cars and in light trucks,” Schliebs recalled.

These days, CNG passenger vehicles seem more like a passing fad, overshadowed by the rise of electric vehicles. Schliebs noted that just two or three weeks before the petrochemical conference, EQT’s CNG fueling station in Pittsburgh’s strip district closed permanently and quietly, adding that he’d been told its owners had no plans to open a replacement.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 16, 2019 6:09 pm

I switched to Ecosia as my default search engine today - they plant trees with their profits from their ads - set as default page for new windows instead of google with just a few simple clicks. Works just fine. Easy peasy lemon squeezy good deed for the day. Google (NPI) Ecosia and follow instructions from there - 2 mins tops - ecologically minded crew.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#264  Postby Evolving » Aug 16, 2019 6:12 pm

My 11 year old daughter told me about Ecosia and persuaded me to download it on to my phone.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#265  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Cool story : )
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#266  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 6:25 pm

I started using it intermittently around 8 or 9 years ago - but it doesn't always do as well with some searches.

Not quite the same thing, but http://freerice.com/ is something I've always promoted to friends, students, colleagues etc. as it's a bit of fun (or learning) and it feeds people in need.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#267  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 16, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm sure it's improved immeasurably in the last 8-9 years, and besides, a decent search is a decent search...don't fall for the, what did you call it, Olympics paradigm (v cool term and thinking imo, props) - lovely yummy fresh trees is teh gnom gnomz.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#268  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2019 3:17 pm

That's five weeks zero nicotine, vaping or fags - nowt. Good for teh green.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#269  Postby felltoearth » Sep 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Keep It Real wrote:That's five weeks zero nicotine, vaping or fags - nowt. Good for teh green.

Gold star.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#270  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Scanning for sarcasm....none detected - gold star! Woohoo!
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#271  Postby laklak » Sep 13, 2019 7:14 am

We have pre-paid electricity here. There's a smart meter you top up with vouchers, like a pay as you go phone. You're far more likely to conserve power if you can see the KwH meter dropping. we've been averaging about 15 KwH a day for the last 3 weeks because it's been cold and the only heat is electric space heaters. We'll use less with summer coming on. By next winter we'll have installed a gas cooker and heaters so we'll use much less. Eventually, if the Money Gods smile on us, we'll be adding solar panels and solar water heater. We're paying 12 cents U.S. per KwH, about half again as expensive as in Florida. Almost all our power comes from coal plants in South Africa, so cutting consumption is a good idea.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#272  Postby felltoearth » Sep 13, 2019 11:24 am

Whats the generation source there?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#273  Postby Macdoc » Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Almost all our power comes from coal plants in South Africa, so cutting consumption is a good idea.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#274  Postby felltoearth » Sep 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Macdoc wrote:
Almost all our power comes from coal plants in South Africa, so cutting consumption is a good idea.

:oops:
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion