Two Christians I know and what one in particular believes

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Two Christians I know and what one in particular believes

#1  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 24, 2018 1:15 am

I'm not sure if this the right introduction, but here we go. :roll: I'm a senior in high school. I met two Christians back in junior high. I'm not giving out any names, but I will disclose about one that I'm particularly fond (and kinda hates me), as well as what he believes. I don't really care what he believes in at all. In fact, if anything found this list turned out to be true (if we had good reasons to believe them), I would be happy to believe. Conversely, if one shows me that what I believe is wrong and for good reason, then I will not believe in it anymore. That's my position and the fact that he is unable or doesn't want, gives me good reasons not to. Anyway, here it is:
    That he’s special

Dragons

Magic

Harry Potter

Ghosts

Elvis never died/faked his death

Michael Jackson faked his death

Non-avian dinosaurs never went extinct and that birds are not dinosaurs

Superheroes and that he is one

Spells and he can cast them

Cruses and he can place them on others

Transformation; he thinks he can transform into, say a T-rex, Velociraptor, etc

Power Rangers and that he is one

Half human, half alien beings and he's one of them; "I'm not from this world."

Were-Animals and that he can transform into one, such as a werewolf

Human Genetic Modification

Spirit Animals, such as the spirit of the T-rex, wolf, panther, etc

Super Intelligence; "I'm smarter than you humans"

Super Strength; "I'm stronger than you"

Skylanders

Monsters

An afterlife

That he is sent from God

That atheists just hate god, are jealous of God, his creation, etc :roll:

That atheists are bad people and they can’t be good (Thinks it’s a lie.)

Belief is equal to knowledge

Everything he believes in is not a hoax (Special pleading)

Demons and that he will fight them

Angels

Digimon; "Respect my Digimon!" :lol:

Pokemon

Dimensional Travel and Dimensions

Time Travel

Doctor Who; he believes in him, he thinks he’s a real person and has seen him since early childhood.
    Not to mention he thinks he saw my future. It's full of hate, apparently.
    Also thinks I need to believe in him.

Immortality

Anything his father says

Dimensional Agelessness; he only ages in this one, he says

Dimensional Forms and that this one is just his "earth form" or whatever

Potions

Human vs immortals dichotomy

Apocalypse of mankind; zombie ones, mostly. I hear him talking about it on the bus with his friend.
    That and his comments about it, such as “There is no hope for you humans."
    and "The world will end in August 2018."

Absolute power; "I can do anything I want."

Alchemy

Immortal Science

Creationism; "Who created the world? God did." (Despite the fact that it's not a who, but a
    what. :snooty: )

That most criticisms of what he believes in are the result of jealousy or some other emotion (bulverism)

Bigfoot

Some other misc stuff that is likely important.

This is what he thinks others should believe in:

God; “He knows you.” “He loves you.”
    Superheros
    Doctor Who; “He knows your future.”
    Anything that he believes in, it seems

This is what he does when others press him for evidence:

Shifts burdens of proof; "That's what you need to find out."

Ad hoc; "It's all top secret." "I can't because of my x or y law." "Why do you need evidence?"

:shock:
:?

Well, that's quite a mouthful.

More coming soon!
Mr. Skeptic

Name: Owen Terry

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Two Christians I know and what one in particular believes

#2  Postby cyghost » Aug 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Please no. I'm ok with this but I'm asking for a friend.
cyghost

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 24, 2018 9:41 pm

I think this is either a bot or one post drive by so best to ignore him
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4  Postby kiore » Aug 25, 2018 12:21 am

Welcome Mr Skeptic, what you write reminds me of this:
"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 25, 2018 2:50 am

Yeah, you could say that. But I have more details coming. He's this kid has been in my 8-10 grade year, so I had my experience with him. His Christian side didn't really show through until 11th grade, where I stated my beliefs about gods. He then started to ask: "Well, why don't you believe in god?" I then stated why I don't and he said: "You need to believe in god." That's where it started. I said: "Give me good reasons to believe in good." or "Give me evidence for your beliefs." This is where it cascaded into all types of things; science, fiction, etc. He gave no good reasons to believe in his beliefs all those times and gave very good reason not to. Need to say, It was rather explosive.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Aug 25, 2018 3:29 am

Looks like he's covered pretty much every woo base there is.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 25, 2018 3:54 am

laklak wrote:Looks like he's covered pretty much every woo base there is.

And more! Some of his beliefs are shared by conspiracy theorists. Many are shared with cryptozoologists and some are downright strange, such as Doctor Who and Harry Potter. While many fans talk about these characters as if they are real, it is a different matter entirely to ask "How is Hermine doing?" or (in conversation) say "Hermine is my girlfriend." I've observed crazy and delusional fans from afar, but this might be the first time I ever met one in person.
Then there's Doctor Who and this one honestly borders on delusional thinking. He says that he's been in his life when he about 6 or 9, I don't know, but he thinks of him as a real-life person that he can contact, much like a second Jesus Christ or something. He think's that he can predict my future. I don't know what convinced him. My guess is that he heard about it from a friend or saw some video on youtube that claimed that he existed and believed it to be so.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 25, 2018 5:46 am

Mr. Skeptic wrote:

And more! Some of his beliefs are shared by conspiracy theorists. Many are shared with cryptozoologists and some are downright strange, such as Doctor Who and Harry Potter. While many fans talk about these characters as if they are real, it is a different matter entirely to ask "How is Hermine doing?" or (in conversation) say "Hermine is my girlfriend." I've observed crazy and delusional fans from afar, but this might be the first time I ever met one in person.
Then there's Doctor Who and this one honestly borders on delusional thinking. He says that he's been in his life when he about 6 or 9, I don't know, but he thinks of him as a real-life person that he can contact, much like a second Jesus Christ or something. He think's that he can predict my future. I don't know what convinced him. My guess is that he heard about it from a friend or saw some video on youtube that claimed that he existed and believed it to be so.

Well, how do you know he believes any of this stuff or not? So far, you're telling us only about what your 'friend' says he believes. If you don't take these claims with a grain of salt, it rapidly turns more into your problem than his, unless he's endangering himself or others. I can still grant that some young people enjoy having arguments about nothing.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 25, 2018 6:50 am

I only about this really care about it because he's adamant about; he doesn't like the fact that others don't believe his baseless claims, which can become a problem. Then there's the fact that he doesn't care for "human knowledge", whatever that's supposed to mean. He seems rather incurious and willfully ignorant, probably because he thinks he already has "figured it out" or has some explanation for the things he does not know (goddidit or some other variation). This creates incuriosity because those are meant to be answers, to stop questioning, which could lead to the right answer, even if it's not the one you want. Also, false beliefs are the only ones that lead to harm or false conclusions. True or rather accurate beliefs lead only to correct conclusions and betterment of overall well-being.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Mike_L » Aug 25, 2018 7:12 am

But what one really needs is a Unifying Theory of Woo.
"One Woo to woo them all."

:roll:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 25, 2018 7:41 am

Mr. Skeptic wrote:he doesn't like the fact that others don't believe his baseless claims, which can become a problem.

What sort of problem would that be? Is he realistically a danger to himself or others?

Mr. Skeptic wrote:He seems rather incurious and willfully ignorant, probably because he thinks he already has "figured it out" or has some explanation for the things he does not know...

How is that a problem for anyone who has ever figured anything out? Do you think those folks are suddenly going to resort to woo simply because they failed to figure something out today? Do you think he's capable of convincing anyone who doesn't already want to believe it?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Aug 25, 2018 2:03 pm

I have figured out most of what I need to have figured out, except for how to set the timing on diesels with mechanical fuel injection. As for the rest, like the hillbilly said, it don't make no never mind.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
What sort of problem would that be? Is he realistically a danger to himself or others?

People don't want to believe his shit that he pontificates about. He should at least know that, but he does it anyway. It could lead to him to him being berated for being an intolerant person.

Cito di Pense wrote:
How is that a problem for anyone who has ever figured anything out?

That's not the point really. God is meant to be an answer for things they don't know or have not figured out yet, such as the big bang or quantum physics, for instance. A lot of the same could be extrapolated to him, such as the fact that he thinks he was adopted, so he invented his past to explain that. A lot people would stick that answer but would probably not parade it around as true story, unless he or she was delusional or was mentally insane. He does that, that's a problem.

Basically, it's ok to not know but to make up an answer and act like as if you have one, is not only lazy but rather dishonest.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Do you think those folks are suddenly going to resort to woo simply because they failed to figure something out today?

People want simple answers to complex questions. God does that for them, as he can do anything. Those are not meant to be starting points to work from, but rather to be an answer to things they don't know. These types of people aren't interested in finding out real answers, because they were conditioned to always look for a god or gods in arbitrary life events or, in the case of self-delusional, whatever character they want to believe in.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Do you think he's capable of convincing anyone who doesn't already want to believe it?

The people I see he's convincing are flat-earthers, conspritards, the mentally dim, or the gullible. Most of his arguments would not even convince a 10-year-old atheist or even theist, at least the ones for more of his crazier claims.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 25, 2018 5:36 pm

:yawn:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Aug 25, 2018 7:11 pm

What does your friend think of nerd thighs?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Aug 25, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm not sure gotta ask.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 26, 2018 11:07 am

Thunder thighs :awesome:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Mr. Skeptic wrote:...conspritards...

Tell me Mr. Skeptik: do you think only "conspiritards" think the coalition invaded Iraq primarily in order to secure oil and prop up the military industrial complex?
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.

Sometimes "A hero is someone who's too frightened to be a coward" - Cracker
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Sep 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Mr. Skeptic wrote:...conspritards...

Tell me Mr. Skeptik: do you think only "conspiritards" think the coalition invaded Iraq primarily in order to secure oil and prop up the military industrial complex?

Only conspiritards think that "it's a conspiracy!" or arriving at that conclusion is an explanation of anything. If they have evidence of a conspiracy, they need to bring it to the table. Besides, no ones really surprised that 2004 United States Administration invaded Iraq mostly to secure oil (which will run out in about 50 years or more) and prop up the military industrial complex. The USA is a militaristic nation anyway. It was born out of a war with Great Britain and went to subsequent wars therein. And the fact that we sell weapons to anybody with a pulse, the USA has a military budget bigger than most of the world combined, we were the first and only country to use atomic weaponry and that we glorify the military every day, it's no real surprise that we have "military-industrial complex" as well.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Rumraket » Sep 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Looks like he believes every crackpot conspiracy theory and occult gibberish he comes across. Reminds me of the phenomenon known as crank magnetism.

Crank magnetism is the condition where people become attracted to multiple crank ideas at the same time. Crank magnetism also denotes the tendency — even for otherwise "lone issue" cranks — to accumulate more crank beliefs over time. You know that old saying about not being so open-minded that your brain falls out? People with crank magnetism didn't pay attention to that. Crank magnetism is an important stepping stone on the path towards being wrong all of the time. Its opposite is the stopped clock (which is when otherwise overly credulous people actually find some crankery that they won't believe in, and may even actively denounce it).

There's a spectrum of gullibility and he seems to be on the extremely high frequency of false positives end of the spectrum. I've heard of the principle that "I want to believe as many true, and as few false things, as possible". This guy seems to only pay attention to the first bit that he wants to believe as many true things as possible, but just doesn't care how many false things he also ends up believing. If he simply believes anything he hears, he will believe all the true things and all the false things.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion