We knew it all along ...god botherers are brain damaged

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

We knew it all along ...god botherers are brain damaged

#1  Postby Macdoc » Mar 13, 2018 6:16 am

Scientists have established a link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism
Bobby Azarian, Raw Story BOBBY AZARIAN, RAW STORY
12 MAR 2018 AT 16:36 ET

A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group.

more

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scient ... mentalism/ :thumbup:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: We knew it all along ...god botherers are brain damaged

#2  Postby aban57 » Mar 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Macdoc wrote:
Scientists have established a link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism
Bobby Azarian, Raw Story BOBBY AZARIAN, RAW STORY
12 MAR 2018 AT 16:36 ET

A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group.

more

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scient ... mentalism/ :thumbup:

It's the egg and the chicken again.
It could be linked to this 2014 study, showing that exposition to religious content impaired 5/6 y/o children to make the difference between the real and imaginary world. Maybe that is the source of the brain damage. Preventing children to develop a critical mind.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Not sure that a blanket statement is apropos. Here's just one example.

John Charlton Polkinghorne KBE FRS (born 16 October 1930) is an English theoretical physicist, theologian, writer and Anglican priest. A prominent and leading voice explaining the relationship between science and religion, he was professor of mathematical physics at the University of Cambridge from 1968 to 1979, when he resigned his chair to study for the priesthood, becoming an ordained Anglican priest in 1982. He served as the president of Queens' College, Cambridge from 1988 until 1996.

Polkinghorne is the author of five books on physics, and 26 on the relationship between science and religion; his publications include The Quantum World (1989), Quantum Physics and Theology: An Unexpected Kinship (2005), Exploring Reality: The Intertwining of Science and Religion (2007), and Questions of Truth (2009).[1] The Polkinghorne Reader (edited by Thomas Jay Oord) provides key excerpts from Polkinghorne's most influential books. He was knighted in 1997 and in 2002 received the £1 million Templeton Prize, awarded for exceptional contributions to affirming life's spiritual dimension

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Polkinghorne
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:Not sure that a blanket statement is apropos. Here's just one example.

John Charlton Polkinghorne KBE FRS (born 16 October 1930) is an English theoretical physicist, theologian, writer and Anglican priest. A prominent and leading voice explaining the relationship between science and religion, he was professor of mathematical physics at the University of Cambridge from 1968 to 1979, when he resigned his chair to study for the priesthood, becoming an ordained Anglican priest in 1982. He served as the president of Queens' College, Cambridge from 1988 until 1996.

Polkinghorne is the author of five books on physics, and 26 on the relationship between science and religion; his publications include The Quantum World (1989), Quantum Physics and Theology: An Unexpected Kinship (2005), Exploring Reality: The Intertwining of Science and Religion (2007), and Questions of Truth (2009).[1] The Polkinghorne Reader (edited by Thomas Jay Oord) provides key excerpts from Polkinghorne's most influential books. He was knighted in 1997 and in 2002 received the £1 million Templeton Prize, awarded for exceptional contributions to affirming life's spiritual dimension

Why not? You like blanket statements well enough. Libtards, anyone?

That shit cuts both ways, doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Mar 13, 2018 5:58 pm

I don't think you could call any Anglican a fundamentalist, and certainly not one who's also a physicist. Come down here and meet a few of our fundy snake handling Blood of the Lamb types, you'll see the difference.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:Not sure that a blanket statement is apropos. Here's just one example.

So instead of responding to my post regarding this subject, you personally attack me instead.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Mar 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

So instead of responding to my post regarding this subject, you personally attack me instead.

It's a tu quoque, not a personal attack.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

No, I’m pointing out to you what is obvious to others: You’ve used up your credibility to whine about broad brush strokes.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Lemaître is more than likely known to many here.

Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître, RAS Associate[1] (French: [ʒɔʁʒᵊ ləmɛ:tʁᵊ] ( listen); 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Belgian Catholic Priest, astronomer and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Leuven.[2] He proposed on theoretical grounds that the universe is expanding, which was observationally confirmed soon afterwards by Edwin Hubble.[3][4] He was the first to derive what is now known as Hubble's law and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article.[5][6][7][8] Lemaître also proposed what became known as the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe, which he called his "hypothesis of the primeval atom" or the "Cosmic Egg".[9]

Whether ‘devote’ means that he was a fundamentalist… I don’t know? But he was deeply religious.

[…]While a devout Roman Catholic, he was against mixing science with religion,[23] though he also was of the opinion that these two fields of human experience were not in conflict[…]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Mar 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:Lemaître is more than likely known to many here.

Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître, RAS Associate[1] (French: [ʒɔʁʒᵊ ləmɛ:tʁᵊ] ( listen); 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Belgian Catholic Priest, astronomer and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Leuven.[2] He proposed on theoretical grounds that the universe is expanding, which was observationally confirmed soon afterwards by Edwin Hubble.[3][4] He was the first to derive what is now known as Hubble's law and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article.[5][6][7][8] Lemaître also proposed what became known as the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe, which he called his "hypothesis of the primeval atom" or the "Cosmic Egg".[9]

Whether ‘devote’ means that he was a fundamentalist… I don’t know? But he was deeply religious.

[…]While a devout Roman Catholic, he was against mixing science with religion,[23] though he also was of the opinion that these two fields of human experience were not in conflict[…]

His work shows that he was cognitively open to the new ideas of Relativity theory and there's no evidence or data here to show he had any brain damage. Also, you don't know whether or not he was a fundamentalist. What is the connection you are trying to make between this individual and those under study in the O.P.?
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 13, 2018 9:09 pm

laklak wrote:I don't think you could call any Anglican a fundamentalist, and certainly not one who's also a physicist. Come down here and meet a few of our fundy snake handling Blood of the Lamb types, you'll see the difference.

I’ve seen videos of them. And yet, to the best of my knowledge, the verse telling followers that they can handle snakes and drink poison, was added in later, it’s not in the original (well, as original as we can get) texts. (Mark 16:17–18)

As far as Anglicans are concerned, I’m not an expert, by any means, on how they practice their brand of Christianity. I’ve only got Pentecostals and Baptists to go by.

Charles Templeton was a contemporary of Billy Graham’s and also preached salvation. He and Graham met on many occasions. He did a 180 and wrote an excellent book about it.

Farewell to God
https://www.amazon.ca/Farewell-God-Reasons-Rejecting-Christian/dp/0771085087
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Macdoc » Mar 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Anglicans are Henry's version of the catholics...dying breed....tho generally toothless if not harmless.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby MS2 » Mar 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Seems to me the research merely shows that certain types of brain damage can make a person prone to a kind of thinking that is amenable to fundamentalism. That doesn't mean all, or even many, fundamentalists are brain damaged, let alone all 'god-botherers'. I guess the OP knows that and the title is tongue-in-cheek?
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Skinny Puppy

#14  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 14, 2018 5:05 am

MS2 wrote:Seems to me the research merely shows that certain types of brain damage can make a person prone to a kind of thinking that is amenable to fundamentalism. That doesn't mean all, or even many, fundamentalists are brain damaged, let alone all 'god-botherers'. I guess the OP knows that and the title is tongue-in-cheek?

Excellent post! :cheers:
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Macdoc » Mar 14, 2018 5:24 am

No tongue in cheek.... :nono: nice try but FAIL

These findings are important because they suggest that impaired functioning in the prefrontal cortex—whether from brain trauma, a psychological disorder, a drug or alcohol addiction, or simply a particular genetic profile—can make an individual susceptible to religious fundamentalism. And perhaps in other cases, extreme religious indoctrination harms the development or proper functioning of the prefrontal regions in a way that hinders cognitive flexibility and openness

anyone that doesn't get by the tooth fairy phase as far as I'm concerned is mentally deficient...deal with it ....no apologetics for wilfull stupidity of the ones that choose the fundie nonsense.....at least the damaged ones might have some cause. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Skinny Puppy

#16  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 14, 2018 6:46 am

newolder wrote:

His work shows that he was cognitively open to the new ideas of Relativity theory and there's no evidence or data here to show he had any brain damage. Also, you don't know whether or not he was a fundamentalist. What is the connection you are trying to make between this individual and those under study in the O.P.?

It's not just him, I've also given a few other examples. I could add more, but I don't think that's necessary.

First of all religious fundamentalism is not clearly defined, in fact, it's rather ambiguous as to which groups or individuals would fall into that category and it doesn't name names.

Religious fundamentalism refers to an ideology that emphasizes traditional religious texts and rituals and discourages progressive thinking about religion and social issues. Fundamentalist groups generally oppose anything that questions or challenges their beliefs or way of life. For this reason, they are often aggressive towards anyone who does not share their specific set of supernatural beliefs, and towards science, as these things are seen as existential threats to their entire worldview.

Second: This is one study. We all know that multiple and independent studies must be done and then the results will be subject to proper peer review before being accepted as fact. In addition, they even state that more research must be done.

The authors emphasize that cognitive flexibility and openness aren’t the only things that make brains vulnerable to religious fundamentalism. In fact, their analyses showed that these factors only accounted for a fifth of the variation in fundamentalism scores. Uncovering those additional causes, which could be anything from genetic predispositions to social influences, is a future research project that the researchers believe will occupy investigators for many decades to come, given how complex and widespread religious fundamentalism is and will likely continue to be for some time.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Fallible » Mar 14, 2018 6:50 am

Macdoc wrote:No tongue in cheek.... :nono: nice try but FAIL

These findings are important because they suggest that impaired functioning in the prefrontal cortex—whether from brain trauma, a psychological disorder, a drug or alcohol addiction, or simply a particular genetic profile—can make an individual susceptible to religious fundamentalism. And perhaps in other cases, extreme religious indoctrination harms the development or proper functioning of the prefrontal regions in a way that hinders cognitive flexibility and openness

anyone that doesn't get by the tooth fairy phase as far as I'm concerned is mentally deficient...deal with it ....no apologetics for wilfull stupidity of the ones that choose the fundie nonsense.....at least the damaged ones might have some cause. :coffee:

Your comment doesn't make sense. If they're mentally deficient, how is it wilful stupidity?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby aban57 » Mar 14, 2018 8:12 am

The study suggest that staying long enough willingfully stupid makes you mentally deficient.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Skinny Puppy

#19  Postby newolder » Mar 14, 2018 9:05 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:
newolder wrote:

It's not just him, I've also given a few other examples. I could add more, but I don't think that's necessary.

I agree, naming individuals (especially dead folk) is irrelevant to a population study.

First of all religious fundamentalism is not clearly defined, in fact, it's rather ambiguous as to which groups or individuals would fall into that category and it doesn't name names.

Perhaps this will help you curtail the use of such broad bush terms (e.g. libtard) in future discussions, who knows?
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby MS2 » Mar 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Macdoc wrote:No tongue in cheek.... :nono: nice try but FAIL

I'm not sure whether by 'tooth fairy phase' you mean fundamentalism or religiosity more generally. But in either case, your conclusion doesn't follow from what you quoted.

(And appears to me to be unwarranted in general.)
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion