Will Google, Facebook 'nuke' Internet over SOPA

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Will Google, Facebook 'nuke' Internet over SOPA

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Google, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Zynga — and oh sweet baby Jesus no! — Etsy, along with other Internet-based companies take a "nuclear option" and "go simultaneously dark" in protest of the bill, and to "highlight the fundamental danger the legislation poses to the function of the Internet," ExtremeTech reports:
There’s been no formal decision on the matter, and the companies in question obviously risk consumer anger and backlash over any suspension of services. There is, however, safety in numbers — and a few simple sentences identifying why the blackout is in place will ensure that the majority of the rage flows in the proper direction.

Protests against SOPA went mainstream in December when members of the Reddit community organized a protest against Web-hosting giant Go Daddy for its initial SOPA support. More than 37,000 domains were transferred as part of the "Dump Go Daddy" protest, leading the company to make a solid statement opposing SOPA.

Now, as part of the NetCoalition trade association, these companies are joining Wikipedia's Wikimedia Foundation in a possible Internet blackout:

AOL
eBay
Etsy
Facebook
Foursquare
Google
IAC
LinkedIn
Mozilla
OpenDNS
PayPal
Twitter
Yahoo!
Zynga

As ExtremeTech reports, there are no concrete plans for implementing the "nuclear option," but the most likely date for such a blackout is Jan. 23, the day before the Senate is scheduled to debate SOPA.

More: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... -over-sopa
Faith means not wanting to know what is true. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Will Google, Facebook 'nuke' Internet over SOPA

#2  Postby mattthomas » Jan 05, 2012 1:23 pm

I think they should just do it... I think you'd find of all of those openDNS will be the one that most people wouldn't want to go down
Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just don't quit!
mattthomas

Name: Matt
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Sovereign » Jan 07, 2012 3:55 am

I agree, they should do it.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

WTF is SOPA

#4  Postby the_5th_ape » Jan 08, 2012 8:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM[/youtube]
Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby johnbrandt » Jan 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Good...go for it. Advertise it widely, then cut them of for a week to really push the point home, then after that come back with a front page saying something about how users can expect more of the same, but unplanned and at the whim of government, if internet censorship got in.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby orpheus » Jan 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Has the government commented on this threat at all? If they don't like it, that's a good sign that it's worth a try.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby the_5th_ape » Jan 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Reddit Announces Blackout to Protest SOPA

Reddit, in protest of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), will be shutting down normal operations on Jan. 18 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.

During that window, visitors to the site will find a message about SOPA and its sister bill in the Senate, the Protect IP Act (PIPA). There will also be links which will provide more information about the two bills and suggestions on how to take action against SOPA and PIPA.

More: http://mashable.com/2012/01/10/reddit-sopa/
Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby FreshwaterSeaCowHero » Jan 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Oh no, I can't live without Gmail for longer than a couple of hours, tops.
Meh, whatever, as long as it helps prevent internet censorship.
I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this! - Sterling Archer
FreshwaterSeaCowHero

Name: Cameron
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby orpheus » Jan 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Reddit alone won't do it. Much bigger effect if lots of big sites do a coordinated shutdown. Can we suggest this to them? How?
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 11, 2012 5:57 pm

There’s been no formal decision on the matter, and the companies in question obviously risk consumer anger and backlash over any suspension of services. There is, however, safety in numbers — and a few simple sentences identifying why the blackout is in place will ensure that the majority of the rage flows in the proper direction.

A backlash is exactly what they would want. The more pissed off people, the more aware people. I hope they shut down for a week. Everyone needs to know about these bills and their potential impact.
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby orpheus » Jan 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Of course, under the new laws, the Gov't could "disappear" any or all of us for discussing this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby mraltair » Jan 11, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm in massive support for this. Even if only Google did it the impact and exposure would be gigantic. Imagine having to search using Bing for a week :nono: You add Facebook and you will have pretty much turned everybody in the world against SOPA.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Would this legislation not create the internet equivalent of tax havens, where all of these big websites will suddenly turn up in countries where such legislation doesn't exist?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Anyone have a link to an annotated version of SOPA?

I would really like to examine this bill line by line but don't want to start from scratch if possible.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby johnbrandt » Jan 11, 2012 11:19 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Anyone have a link to an annotated version of SOPA?

I would really like to examine this bill line by line but don't want to start from scratch if possible.

...When governments come up with complicated legislation and proposals like this, I believe that's what they're counting on...make it so long winded and hard to read that people give up reading it after a while and just let it go.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby orpheus » Jan 12, 2012 12:50 am

johnbrandt wrote:

...When governments come up with complicated legislation and proposals like this, I believe that's what they're counting on...make it so long winded and hard to read that people give up reading it after a while and just let it go.

Yep. Remember the Patriot Act - many, if not most Congresspeople didn't read it before voting it in.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 12, 2012 12:56 am

orpheus wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:

Yep. Remember the Patriot Act - many, if not most Congresspeople didn't read it before voting it in.

Well I'm assuming someone has broken it down in order to figure out its implications. I was hoping that there was a breakdown of it somewhere on the internet.

If I'm going to call my congressman, I want to at least understand it to some degree.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby orpheus » Jan 12, 2012 1:04 am

Being my usual pessimistic self, I worry that a blackout won't make a damn bit of difference.

We've got two threads about this subject; I posted my thoughts in the other one; here's a link:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p1152164

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby gleniedee » Jan 12, 2012 4:37 am

Will it just be in the US?

If so,who cares?
gleniedee

Name: glen dee
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby sennekuyl » Jan 12, 2012 4:50 am

Unfortunately, it affects companies that affect the internet. Thus it is international in scope. Didn't you watch the video in http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... l#p1146796?
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion