Women Outnumber Men = Greater Male Violence.

Men outnumber women = men more docile...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Women Outnumber Men = Greater Male Violence.

#1  Postby Alan B » Oct 08, 2016 10:30 am

New Scientist
Men are more violent when there are more women around

More men inevitably means more testosterone-fuelled violence, right? Wrong, according to a comprehensive analysis exploring how a surplus of men or women affect crime rates across the US.

In areas where men outnumber women, there were lower rates of murders and assaults as well as fewer sex-related crimes, such as rapes, sex offences and prostitution. Conversely, higher rates of these crimes occurred in areas where there were more women than men.
According to Schacht, when women are in short supply, men must be more dutiful to win and retain a partner. With an abundance of women, men are spoilt for choice and adopt more promiscuous behaviour that brings them into conflict with other men, and more likely to commit sex-related offences.

“When women are rare they become a valued resource and this gives them more bargaining power over what they expect from a relationship,” says Schacht. “But when women are abundant, men become less committed to single partners and more interested in pursuing multiple relationships,” he says. “This brings men into conflict with each other in response to their more uncommitted, promiscuous mating orientation.”

The upshot, says Schacht, is that men alter their behaviour to suit conditions of “supply and demand”. “In some situations they will be much better behaved, and in others they will be much more prone to nasty behaviour,” he says.

/continues...
This had not occurred to me - at all.

I posted this topic here but I think it deserves it's own thread.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Women Outnumber Men = Greater Male Violence.

#2  Postby laklak » Oct 08, 2016 3:23 pm

Gross number or available? Asheville, North Carolina is a pretty laid back, low-violence town, but women (probably) outnumber men. However, a goodly portion of the women are lesbians. Generally not of the lipstick variety; you'd do well selling lumberjack shirts and Doc Martens.

I once made the mistake of walking into Malaprops bookstore while an erotic feminist lesbian poetry reading was going on. I beat a hasty retreat.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tolman » Oct 08, 2016 8:39 pm

Presumably things may depend on the ages of 'surplus' men or women, and how fluid relationships were.

Somewhere where most people married young and generally stayed married could leave quite a few men still pretty young but with rather limited prospects of a relationship. Doesn't necessarily seem an obvious recipe for tranquility.

Are places in the world where polygamy is common (and where the surplus young men aren't meaningfully reduced in number by war, etc) typically relative bastions of male peace?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#4  Postby Mazille » Oct 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Isn't there a lot of data on frontiers and settlement zones (with high proportions of young males and low proportions of available females) and their respective rates in violence as compared to contemporary core communities, and in societies where relatively few leading males bind a disproportionate amount of available females polygamously - again leaving young males out to dry - telling us the exact opposite?
I think I read that in Pinker's Better Angels of Our Nature.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tolman » Oct 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Given the study was in the USA, with its unusually high prison population, to what extent does a lower proportion of men in an area simply reflect existing levels of crime (and often deprivation)?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Oct 09, 2016 9:53 am

Yeah. I think some more studies need to be done in other countries. This may be just a USA peculiarity. :dunno:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby igorfrankensteen » Oct 09, 2016 12:15 pm

I wonder if the tendency to NOT report most male-on-male crimes at all, has any part in the statistics?

We males are, after all, called upon to prove our metal, by taking things in stride.

And how do Prison statistics fit the pattern?

Maybe the reason there are more crimes when more women are around, is because when men have more targets, they behave more aggressively.

All kinds of ways we can guess about this, that don't involve people actually thinking. Which I've found is typically rare.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion