You can't make these things up thread

what gob smacked you today?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

You can't make these things up thread

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

Figured this was an excellent start to a thread with lots of fodder these days....

TTC worker compensated for lost wages after being arrested, suspended
On July 28, 2014, TTC employee Tyson Hu took home $5,060 in cash and $34,407 in tokens, tickets, and passes. Coincidentally, Durham Regional Police raided Hu’s home he next day, seizing drugs and the TTC property

n July 2014, TTC fare collector Tyson Hu took home $5,060.20 in cash and $34,407.70 in tokens, tickets from his fare box. Then the funds were grabbed by police the next day when they raided his Scarborough home as part of an unrelated search warrant and because Hu could not return the money he was suspended by the TTC. He has since got his job back. (MARCUS OLENIUK / TORONTO STAR)

:what: :crazy:

more

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/ ... ended.html
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: You can't make these things up thread

#2  Postby Macdoc » Jul 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Monumental waste of public funds on a gangster..

Man found guilty in Eaton Centre shooting gets new trial after conviction overturned
Christopher Husbands was convicted of second-degree murder in the 2012 shooting at the Eaton Centre
The Canadian Press Posted: Jul 21, 2017 1:16 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 21, 2017 1:16 PM ET

A man who was found guilty of second-degree murder in a daytime shooting at Toronto's landmark Eaton Centre mall has been granted a new trial after a judge found the jury that convicted him was improperly selected.

Eaton Centre shooter seeks new trial over jury-selection process

An appeal court has overturned Christopher Husbands' convictions, saying the trial judge made an irreparable mistake by overruling a defence request regarding the method of jury selection.

As a result, the three-member appeal panel says, the jury was improperly constituted and the verdict cannot stand.

Husbands was found guilty more than two years ago of two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Nixon Nirmalendran, 22, and Ahmed Hassan, 24.

He was also found guilty of five counts of aggravated assault and one count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm in the June 2012 shooting that sent hordes of panicked shoppers running for the exits.

Husbands, whose lawyers had put forward a defence of not criminally responsible due to post-traumatic stress disorder, was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 30 years.

He will now face a new trial on charges of second-degree murder, aggravated assault and criminal negligence causing bodily harm.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/n ... -1.4216157

I'm sure he will not get off but the courts are overburdened anyways and some serious crimes are being ignored due to lack of prompt court response. :nono:

Like this
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/0 ... squad.html
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jul 22, 2017 1:34 am

Published on Jul 21, 2017
WARNING: This video contains graphic violence and gore.

Driver charged after dramatic video shows vicious attack of 74-year-old cyclist.
The man climbed out of his truck and attacked the cyclist with a small club after an argument on the side of the road, police say.

:nono:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby purplerat » Jul 22, 2017 4:02 am

Macdoc wrote:
Published on Jul 21, 2017
WARNING: This video contains graphic violence and gore.

Driver charged after dramatic video shows vicious attack of 74-year-old cyclist.
The man climbed out of his truck and attacked the cyclist with a small club after an argument on the side of the road, police say.

:nono:

Doesn't surprise me in the least. So many people on the roads go into complete rage mode when they see a cyclist on the road. I've found that wearing my GoPro seems to tone the aggression done a bit and I have to wonder how much worse it would have been for this guy if somebody with a camera didn't show up.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Jul 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2017 3:33 am

They're going to charge them with failure to report a death, a misdemeanor. Apparently that's the only thing they could come up with.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby crank » Jul 23, 2017 6:30 am

That means it's far worse legally to not report a felony drug crime [misprision] than to laugh and watch a man drown and not do anything. This is a sick society.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tuco » Jul 23, 2017 6:44 am

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in a 2012 legal argument, summarized that across the U.S. there's no general duty to render aid to someone in distress.

wow
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2017 2:43 pm

crank wrote:That means it's far worse legally to not report a felony drug crime [misprision] than to laugh and watch a man drown and not do anything. This is a sick society.

Yep. There's no legal obligation to help someone in Florida, even if you can. The only charge they could come up with was not reporting a death, and with the public outrage they were certainly trawling through the statutes to find something, anything at all, to charge them with. Fucking sick little psycho fucks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Jul 23, 2017 2:55 pm

There are some Good Samaritan laws in some jurisdictions to protect those giving aid from being sued

but not everywhere

Woman Sued for Rescue Effort in Car Crash
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES Dec. 19, 2008

No good deed goes unpunished, or so goes the saying.

Such was the case with Lisa Torti, who is being sued for pulling a now-paralyzed friend from the wreckage of a Los Angeles car accident in 2004.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Jul 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Over here, and I suspect everywhere in civilized world, its required by the law to help. Free not to be required to help wow wtf
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2017 4:17 pm

We don't claim to be civilized.

Florida man.jpg
Florida man.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Here's Florida Man driving on the beach, drunk as a skunk, filming himself being chased by the cops.

laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Macdoc » Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Over here, and I suspect everywhere in civilized world, its required by the law to help

Not sure where "over here" is but you might be surprised that it is not the case. Have a look at your statutes. Even a trained person is not "required" to help tho their professional association might sanction them.

I was a passenger in a major vehicle accident which eventually involved 17 vehicles on a multi-lane highway and a doctor from my home town pulled up ....looked over the car and buggered off even tho emergency vehicles were not yet present.
Given his reputation in town I was not surprised.

Have a read

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/849853
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Jul 23, 2017 8:05 pm

I will not be surprised because a) I know b) I checked. The article requires login it seems. Over here is in Czechia.

---
edit: doctor buggered off? Trained professionals, over here, buggering off would not only face criminal charges, harsher than other bystanders, but losing their license too.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Mazille » Jul 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Macdoc wrote:
Over here, and I suspect everywhere in civilized world, its required by the law to help

Not sure where "over here" is but you might be surprised that it is not the case. Have a look at your statutes. Even a trained person is not "required" to help tho their professional association might sanction them.

Well, you're wrong. I suspect it's a rather similar law for tuco, but we are required to help (even if it's only calling the ambulance) unless we endager ourselves or others in the process.
For me penalties would be even harsher, as an ex-paramedic.

tuco wrote:I will not be surprised because a) I know b) I checked. The article requires login it seems. Over here is in Czechia.

---
edit: doctor buggered off? Trained professionals, over here, buggering off would not only face criminal charges, harsher than other bystanders, but losing their license too.

:this:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Macdoc » Jul 24, 2017 9:56 am

Can you point out the specific law?

In other words if you are on a plane or bus and someone needs medical help you are compelled to help ?
And subject to penalty if you fail to come forward?

If some one say for instance walks into a pole and bangs their head ....is

A) anyone compelled by law to help them

B) are medically trained compelled ?

C) is either compelled to report ?
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Jul 24, 2017 10:04 am

Section 150 Failure to Provide Assistance
(1) Whoever fails to provide necessary assistance to another person in danger of death or
showing signs of a serious health disorder or a serious disease, even though he//she can do so
without endangering him-/herself or another person, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for
up to two years.
(2) Whoever fails to provide necessary assistance to another person in danger of death or
showing signs of a serious health disorder or a serious disease, even though he is required to
provide such assistance by the nature of his/her employment, shall be sentenced to
imprisonment for up to three years or to prohibition of activity.

http://www.ejtn.eu/PageFiles/6533/Crimi ... public.pdf

---

Its judged on case to case basis but in the case you posted, I'd guess the law could apply.
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby Macdoc » Jul 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks - is that for all of EU?
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tuco » Jul 24, 2017 6:27 pm

When I said "civilized world" I was taking cheap shot at the US, indeed meaning the EU as the EU legislation is well synchronized.

Either the EU or members of the former Soviet Union bloc who also had synchronized legislature. Tho as Mazille pointed out, maybe its Austro-Hungarian specific ;) Last time the law changed in 2009 so it could imply the EU but I could not find proper history and context of this particular section.

I realize there are problematic aspects addressed by "Good Samaritan laws" but is not duty to help others in distress?
tuco

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion