4 teenagers in Pensacola Harbour killed by a sea serpent?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

4 teenagers in Pensacola Harbour killed by a sea serpent?

#1  Postby Soral » Jul 10, 2014 1:46 pm

An oldie, but still a very famous figure and story in the realm of cryptozoology;

TrueAuthority.com - Cryptozoology - Death At Sea
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/ss-death/

http://bit.ly/1jtygAY

His Facebook, which I managed to track down from Pipl.com.
https://www.facebook.com/edward.mccleary

He's reluctant to talk about the event though. I wouldn't expect much.

Credulence: one of Edward's friends washed to shore a week after the tragedy, identified as 14-year old Bradford Jay Rice. He had apparently drowned, but the circumstances of this were not stated.

Edward's sketch of the animal
Soral
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: Sora

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 4 teenagers in Pensacola Harbour killed by a sea serpent?

#2  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Odd (or not) that there's been no other reported sightings since then. And people dive and fish on that wreck all the time.

My guess is that it was a hallucination, possible drug or alcohol-induced.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Jul 10, 2014 2:48 pm

I hear y'all got a shitload of sharks in the Pass, NF.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Soral » Jul 10, 2014 2:54 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:Odd (or not) that there's been no other reported sightings since then. And people dive and fish on that wreck all the time.

Sea serpent sightings remain abundant all over the world.
The fact is, he was right about his friends dying. (A body washed to shore - 3 others; Warren Salley, Eric Ruyle, and Larry Bill, of Falt Walton Beach, were left unaccounted for - they were never seen again, despite a search.)

I think the only thing that could properly discount his tale is an autopsy report of BR. Surely the autopsy report would mention bite marks or bruises if they were there? Something a ''sharp'' set of teeth would do.
Soral
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#5  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 3:00 pm

BTW - that's not "Pensacola Harbour." There's no place with that name. The shipwreck is in a section known as "Pensacola Pass" which is an opening that connects Pensacola Bay with the Gulf of Mexico.

And since we're on the subject, I would like to add that this is a very odd place to use a "raft." I think the first time I heard the story, the boat was some sort of a "jonboat" or flat bottomed boat in which the boys paddled out to the shipwreck. It's odd because the Pass, while relatively shallow, is very choppy. It's a kind of bottleneck with the tide either coming in or going out, so the water is never quite calm there and there is always a lot of boat traffic. I would never attempt to go there in life raft from shore. That's just crazy.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby babel » Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Soral wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:Odd (or not) that there's been no other reported sightings since then. And people dive and fish on that wreck all the time.

The fact is, he was right about his friends dying. (A body washed to shore - 3 others; Warren Salley, Eric Ruyle, and Larry Bill, of Falt Walton Beach, were left unaccounted for - they were never seen again, despite a search.)

I think the only thing that could properly discount his tale is an autopsy report of BR. Surely the autopsy report would mention bite marks or bruises if they were there? Something a ''sharp'' set of teeth would do.

He could have killed them himself. He'd be right about them being dead, since he knows he killed them. Not saying he did kill them, but it's a lot more likely than having a sea serpent kill off a bunch of teens never to be seen again, despite abundant human activity in the water.

What I really mean is: it means nothing to correctly guess or know people are dead.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 3:03 pm

laklak wrote:I hear y'all got a shitload of sharks in the Pass, NF.

Yes, we do. Check out this video of sharks taken from a tour helicopter.

http://www.wkrg.com/story/25909360/shar ... acola-pass

No way in hell I'd be out there in a freakin' raft!
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Soral wrote:

I'm not doubting they drowned there. Like I said, that's a really dangerous place to be in such a small vessel. The missing boys were probably drowned too, then were swept out to the Gulf, then picked apart by sharks or fish. Nothing surprising.
Last edited by NamelessFaceless on Jul 10, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 3:10 pm

And I'm also not doubting that sea serpent sightings are reported all over the world. Just no other sightings that I've heard of have been reported at that location.

Although I did once hear a report by a diver on that wreck that he put his head up to a porthole to see what was inside and met face-to-face with a giant sea turtle. The diver didn't know which of them was more shocked! :lol:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Soral » Jul 10, 2014 3:13 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
Soral wrote:

I'm not doubting they drowned there. Like I said, that's a really dangerous place to be in such a small vessel. The missing boys were probably drowned too, then were swept out to the Gulf, then picked apart by sharks or fish. Nothing surprising.

But why didn't he just say it was a shark or other large fish, over an animal many (excluding Edward McCleary and cryptozoologists) deem to be mythical? If I recall correctly, Edward received a lot of public ridicule, and went into isolation.

Some animals don't hang around. You could see a blue whale off Pensacola coast one day and the next it's 100 miles away, out to sea.
Soral
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#11  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 3:22 pm

As I said, my guess is that it was a hallucination, possibly drug or alcohol induced. And I doubt McCleary ever even saw a shark or any other animal. They probably weren't killed by any marine animals. They probably just drowned and were then swept out into the Gulf.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Soral » Jul 10, 2014 3:30 pm

But he said he vividly recalled hearing his friend's screams, one-by-one.

I've had hallucinations before (from a certain blood medication) hallucinations are not as complex or vivid as Hollywood movies would like you to believe.

I'm assuming that every person who has claimed to have seen an unambiguous sea serpent (including the entire HMS Deadalus crew) are all liars?
Soral
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Jul 10, 2014 3:32 pm

What he said and what actually happened are very likely two completely different things.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Matt_B » Jul 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Maybe he saw a giant oarfish?
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Soral » Jul 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Matt_B wrote:Maybe he saw a giant oarfish?

Look at the sketch. Oarfish do not protrude their necks out of the water, periscope-like.
Soral
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Matt_B » Jul 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Soral wrote:

Look at the sketch. Oarfish do not protrude their necks out of the water, periscope-like.

Well, sure, but they look a lot like what people expect sea serpents to be, plus it was foggy and he was probably in a state of panic.

Besides, anyone can draw a sketch of a sea monster but it doesn't mean that they saw one.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 4:55 pm

If there was something that big living in water that shallow in a spot where humans are present every day, don't you think someone else would have seen it too at some point?

It's a very popular dive spot. And the ship's turrets are even visible from the surface of the water, even on a calm day. If the water was particularly rough that day, assuming he even saw anything, it might have just been those turrets rising above the water line. Try googling "USS Massachusetts Pensacola Pass" and you will see some images of the wreck and the ship. On a foggy day, especially in choppy water, I can certainly see how someone could mistake this for a sea monster.

I suck at posting pictures but maybe this one will work.

NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby BlackBart » Jul 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Soral wrote:
His Facebook, which I managed to track down from Pipl.com.
https://www.facebook.com/edward.mccleary

He's reluctant to talk about the event though. I wouldn't expect much.

Given that this supposedly occurred in 1962, the owner of that Facebook page is remarkably young looking. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 10, 2014 5:02 pm

:dopey: Oh you're right! I didn't even bother to check that FB page. I think the boy was supposed to be about 16 or 17 in 1962, so he would have to be pushing 70 now.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby james1v » Jul 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Soral wrote:

Maybe its "Nessie" on holiday? :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking