A big ask with no expectation

Analysis of claims on a friend's blog

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

A big ask with no expectation

#1  Postby bassalusk » Oct 01, 2016 11:36 pm

Soz my bad

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
That's not on:

LIFE wrote:Membership Agreement for rationalskepticism.org
Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:
    1.2. not cause harm or disruption to the forum or other members, for example please don't:
      k. edit your posts substantially if others have responded to them.

The_Metatron

Here's the restored original post:

Hi, new here. I'm a skeptic who finds himself increasingly at odds with my friends who have taken to a sort of New Age, psuedo-skeptical, conspiratorial worldview to the point where I find discussions on life the universe and everything to just be too exhausting and can't abide the general vibe of people who believe they're 'awakened' in a way that others are not/ cannot be, it just reeks of snarky arrogance sometimes, because there seems to be nothing really to support a majority of their spurious claims.

This journey into the realm of new age fringe science has been brought on by my friend's blog http://www.theblogoflies.com. By all means I am along with him for the ride, in a sense I'm his number one reader, I read for hours about every claim, author, alleged evidence etc. I am just hugely skeptical and apply critical thinking to all of it.

I just don't bother engaging in discussions about it with my friends and instead discuss things online, because as I said, it can be pretty exhausting to be the person telling someone why I think they're wrong and honestly I don't want to watch an obscure 3 hour youtube lecture from the 80s about why telekinesis is absolutely real but is being suppressed by the government, I just want to smoke a joint and crack jokes with my friends and all that stuff can get too contentious. I keep an open mind and do find philosophical merit to some of the blog posts I suppose, though I think a lot of words are used to say essentially nothing at all sometimes.

I rarely engage in debate with them these days, even then I may only pass comment on common ground as my skepticism of, for instance, panpsychism only ever paints me as some sort of hard nosed curmudgeon who refuses to acknowledge the truths that only they can see. I can never get a word in to explain my viewpoint before I can feel myself being dismissed as just another stubborn skeptic, and possibly an assumption being made that I somehow fear this revelatory knowledge and that is why I reject it, rather than the truth being I entertain a great many theories, if the evidence doesn't stack up or it's out right contradicted by what we do know, then I've no reason really to think it worth my time. I enjoy having an open mind, and I think assessing then dismissing something is a key to being open minded.

What I ask of this community is to read the blog posts in as much depth as you are willing and provide a deconstruction, analysis or debunking of it. There's only so much info I can articulate myself before the space in my head runs out and I'd appreciate hearing other viewpoints.

Thanks
Last edited by bassalusk on Oct 02, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bassalusk

Name: Winston Melvil

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: A big ask with no expectation

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 02, 2016 1:00 am

What, do your homework for you? Sounds like you drumming up traffic to a blog to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Oct 02, 2016 1:04 am

tl;dr
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Oct 02, 2016 1:20 am

This journey into the realm of new age fringe science has been brought on by my friend's blog http://www.theblogoflies.com. By all means I am along with him for the ride, in a sense I'm his number one reader, I read for hours about every claim, author, alleged evidence etc. I am just hugely skeptical and apply critical thinking to all of it.

don't you have something more constructive to do with your time, read good books, travel, go on a dig, do a phot essay etc. Why wallow in the trash?
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking