Are/were Dragons real animals?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Are/were Dragons real animals?

#21  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 22, 2013 1:55 pm

no, i mean why are dragons dismissed as just myths?
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Name: Mark

Print view this post

#22  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Why do you dismiss my invisible unicorn?
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Weaver » Aug 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Because there is absolutely no evidence that they are anything more than just myths.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby BlackBart » Aug 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Because...wait for it...roll on a drum... There's no evidence to suggest they ever have.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Goldenmane » Aug 22, 2013 1:58 pm

1) This chummer knows Shadowrun, but not the computer game.

2) Everyone's humans. If one human invents fuck-off awesome firelizards, why not a lot of people?
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#26  Postby Skate » Aug 22, 2013 1:59 pm

all over the world theres been tales by old armies fighting dragons and villagers killing them and they were writ about as if they were real animals . in cultures that didnt meet, stories of similar beasts existed. a better question would be why most of us are so quick to call dragons a myth .

Maybe you can start by giving examples of the stories about which you’re speaking. What tales? Which cultures? Maybe then you’ll be able to flush out the origins and influence of these stories.
Skate

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Of course dragons are real. Don't make me fus ro dah.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby lobawad » Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:How do we know theyre mythical?

We know the same way you would know that I'm lying if I told you that I'm 3 1/2 meters tall. It's not completely impossible, but until you had some convincing physical evidence you'd have to conclude it is not true.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Crocoduck » Aug 22, 2013 2:02 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Of course dragons are real. Don't make me fus ro dah.

It would be an act of suicide :lol:

Crocoduck

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Ironclad » Aug 22, 2013 2:03 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:How do we know theyre mythical?

LOL you are in a wind up, good work man. :rofl:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#31  Postby theropod » Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:involving actual people known in history slaying dragons?

BULLSHIT!

Claims of dragons are no different than any other claim without evidence, and that makes them worthless. Turning water into wine maybe? Provide something of substance in support of your assertion. I'm not going to accept old stories from obscure sources. Get me some dragon bones to look at!

Maybe dragons didn't have true bones at all, and instead had semi-organic carbon fiber foam exoskeleton that degenerated quickly after death. I bet dragons could only be killed by a brave knight in single combat. Still, with heads of stags hanging on the walls, why no dragon heads? Not even a single scale? A toenail? A tooth?

This is all just an attempt to get a jump on the next release of "The Hobbit", isn't it?

Does anyone think that Smaug (when exposed in all his glory) will be more fearsome than the mother dragon in "Sucker Punch"? Maybe we will see a sexual dimorphism since we know what the mother dragon looks like, and we've had a peek at Samug.

Them's some real dragons! I seen 'em!

I have a get movie idea! "Son of Smaug!" in 3D and IMAX. The "Sucker Punch" mother dragon has a secret love child by Smaug!

Movie_trailer_voice_guy wrote:
...In a world where dragon sex is ridiculed and scorned...

...In a time when men grew bold...

...In a place where they least expected...

...Son of Smaug takes his revenge!"

Que "Blue Oyster Cult", "I'm burnin' for you."

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Shrunk » Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:no, i mean why are dragons dismissed as just myths?

Not everyone dismisses them:

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Good vid. It also includes SHC, which we of course know is one of Mark's favorite fetishes. No head scissoring unfortunately, but you can't win 'em all.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 22, 2013 4:18 pm

I think the real concern here is that now that all the dragons are dead, why can't there be ghost dragons?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 22, 2013 4:27 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
theropod wrote:Here's my take on dragons, and the myth, because myth it is.

Somebody found a large theropod dinosaur tooth, maybe a whole mandible or a whole freaking skull, and the myth was born. Being too fragile, in most cases, the fossil wouldn't likely survive intact a camel/horse ride back to a city where smart folks lived. The broken bits, in the hands of a reasonable skilled person, could be reconstructed. The "dragon" bone was fragile because it burned itself when it died. Since some of the remains may have been found under the dirt it was proof that these beast lived in caves and such, and the dirt had fell in on them.

You don't think that something as awesome as a dragon skull wouldn't be displayed in a king's court, and preserved for ages? If I were a king and laying siege to a city that held such a prize I would issue capital orders that the skull not be harmed. If I were the king in defense I would preserve it as a bargaining chip to keep my own head.

I'd rather face a single dragon, even the one in "Sucker Punch", than face down a pack of dromeosaurs. These things were real, and they were not lizards. Think of these raptors as razor toothed flightless birds with long stiff tails to balance during quick maneuvers and a terrible-long-curved-articulating-sharp claw on the tip of a toe of each foot. Evidence exists for a pack attack on a single large herbivorous dinosaur. Several of the little claw footed devils died, but so did their prey.

Dragons are the product of ignorance. While these imaginations are terrible there was a time when the real world had critters running around we all should be happy are extinct ('cept for the birds). I don't want to imagine what it would be like to walk up on a family group of tyrannosaurs. They didn't need fire.

RS

But how do you explain the accounts of dragons which are written as if they were true? (eg. [location] a dragon attacked villagers and the [name] army slayed the dragon])

We call that fiction.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Onyx8 wrote:I think the real concern here is that now that all the dragons are dead, why can't there be ghost dragons?

They aren't dead, they all left centuries ago on a spaceship with the colonists to Pern, to help The Dragonriders save themselves from Thread.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#37  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 22, 2013 4:37 pm

/Thread
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby laklak » Aug 22, 2013 5:15 pm

If we can imagine dragons then dragons exist, not to go all ontological or anything.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#39  Postby BlackBart » Aug 22, 2013 5:18 pm

What if I imagine that they've all spontaneously combusted between a nerds thighs though?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby laklak » Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I'd imagine a few nerds had a spontaneous explosions between their thighs after watching Khaleesi in Game of Thrones.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking