Aspartame

Is this sugar substance really evil?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Aspartame

#161  Postby lucek » Feb 28, 2014 9:14 am

Frank Merton wrote:Aspartame is hard on the liver and should be avoided by anyone with any form of hepatitis. There may also be a connection between taking it during pregnancy and some childhood personality problems.

Since I have chronic hep B, I avoid it and use aspirin. Now aspirin is hard on the stomach and can make any brain hemorrhage or other bleeding you experience much worse, so I am careful about my blood pressure and take omeprozole when I take when I take aspirin and which, of course, increases the chances of pneumonia. On and on it goes -- one thing for sure -- I will not take antibiotics as a prophylactic for pneumonia.

Liver desease:". . . The lack of clinical derangements in encephalopathic indices, methanol accumulation, or biochemical changes in liver status suggests that a single large dose of aspartame (representing 5 times the average daily intake of adults) may be used safely by patients with chronic, stable liver disease."

OK do you want to do the same? post some articles on the horrible effects you're talking about? Unfortunately I've got no more time to troll Google scholar.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Aspartame

#162  Postby quas » Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am

lucek wrote:
quas wrote:Don't think so. The dirty politics behind it, who can deny?

Really? Raises hand.

How about some court documents or anything not from a conspiracy website before you tell us we can't dent it?


Unbelievable. Rumsfeld's involvement with the FDA approval is not exactly Alex Jones territory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-ge ... 05581.html
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#163  Postby Frank Merton » Feb 28, 2014 9:53 am

Aspartame is hard on the liver; that is all I said. The rest is putting words in my mouth. The industry of course is interested in playing this down. Seems to me if you have a damaged liver one should not use things that are hard on it, and I have had the agreement on this with doctors in both the States and in Vietnam.
Frank Merton
 
Name: Frank Merton
Posts: 364

Country: Vietnam
Vietnam (vn)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#164  Postby Sendraks » Feb 28, 2014 9:55 am

Frank Merton wrote:Aspartame is hard on the liver; that is all I said.


Evidence for this? Any evidence at all?
Because I can't find any research which supports this assertion.

Frank Merton wrote: The industry of course is interested in playing this down.

You'd think anyone with hard evidence of this, say independent researchers, would be playing it up.
There is nothing to play down, even if industry wanted to.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#165  Postby Frank Merton » Feb 28, 2014 9:59 am

OK I'm not a pharmacist; got aspartame confused with acetaminophen. Sorry.
Frank Merton
 
Name: Frank Merton
Posts: 364

Country: Vietnam
Vietnam (vn)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#166  Postby mingthething » Feb 28, 2014 12:59 pm

And dihydrogen monoxide is dangerous if ingested in large amounts. :grin: :grin: :grin:
User avatar
mingthething
 
Name: Lee
Posts: 185

Country: Singapore
Malaysia (my)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#167  Postby scott1328 » Feb 28, 2014 3:48 pm

mingthething wrote:And dihydrogen monoxide is dangerous if ingested in large amounts. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hydrogen hydroxide is far more dangerous, but the one that kill the most people is Hydroxylic acid.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8703
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Aspartame

#168  Postby lucek » Feb 28, 2014 6:09 pm

quas wrote:
lucek wrote:
quas wrote:Don't think so. The dirty politics behind it, who can deny?

Really? Raises hand.

How about some court documents or anything not from a conspiracy website before you tell us we can't dent it?


Unbelievable. Rumsfeld's involvement with the FDA approval is not exactly Alex Jones territory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-ge ... 05581.html

And to support this you quote the hufpo?
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#169  Postby lucek » Feb 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Blanked as read further post.

Frank Merton wrote:OK I'm not a pharmacist; got aspartame confused with acetaminophen. Sorry.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#170  Postby quas » Feb 28, 2014 7:17 pm

lucek wrote:
quas wrote:
lucek wrote:
quas wrote:Don't think so. The dirty politics behind it, who can deny?

Really? Raises hand.

How about some court documents or anything not from a conspiracy website before you tell us we can't dent it?


Unbelievable. Rumsfeld's involvement with the FDA approval is not exactly Alex Jones territory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-ge ... 05581.html

And to support this you quote the hufpo?


What's your counter-argument? That Rumsfeld never existed in the first place?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#171  Postby lucek » Feb 28, 2014 8:00 pm

quas wrote:
lucek wrote:
quas wrote:
lucek wrote:
Really? Raises hand.

How about some court documents or anything not from a conspiracy website before you tell us we can't dent it?


Unbelievable. Rumsfeld's involvement with the FDA approval is not exactly Alex Jones territory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-ge ... 05581.html

And to support this you quote the hufpo?


What's your counter-argument? That Rumsfeld never existed in the first place?

That the whole affair is an internet rumor. Trace it back. Find the original source. Hint there isn't one. The events didn't transpire as depicted. Some didn't at all. It's part of the narrative not fact.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#172  Postby lucek » Feb 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Looking at another claim, Variations of "all studies preformed by industry showed no safety concerns and all independently published showed safety concerns". We can trace this back to Walton's 1996 book were in he reported no industry funded studies found safety concerns but 84 of 92 independent did. Great narrative but completely manufactured. First off he left off at least 50 studies without reason. Next of the 92 he reported as independent studies many were case studies review articles book chapters or even letters to the editor.

Interesting how then that got you a spot on 60 minutes but now it gets you a spot on the pseudoscience board here on ratskep.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#173  Postby quas » Feb 28, 2014 8:43 pm

lucek wrote:That the whole affair is an internet rumor. Trace it back. Find the original source. Hint there isn't one. The events didn't transpire as depicted. Some didn't at all. It's part of the narrative not fact.

You are like the first person to make this claim. It's a little odd.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#174  Postby lucek » Feb 28, 2014 10:36 pm

quas wrote:
lucek wrote:That the whole affair is an internet rumor. Trace it back. Find the original source. Hint there isn't one. The events didn't transpire as depicted. Some didn't at all. It's part of the narrative not fact.

You are like the first person to make this claim. It's a little odd.

Sir claiming that a rational amount of skepticism here of all places is odd, is odd. Trusting what everyone knows to be true is a great way to know nothing at all.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#175  Postby quas » Mar 01, 2014 2:41 pm

That's not saying much. You confidently claim that it's a rumor when you don't even know the truth?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Aspartame

#176  Postby lucek » Mar 01, 2014 2:55 pm

quas wrote:That's not saying much. You confidently claim that it's a rumor when you don't even know the truth?

First I don't have to propose an alternative to something to understand what is false.

But more importantly I do know the true story. Key point unsubstantiated accusations were made against Searle but they the case wasn't made before the statute of limitations expired. Big thing there the case was formally dropped due to lack of evidence.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#177  Postby quas » Mar 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Thing is, if that's merely an unsubstantiated rumor, then wouldn't Rumsfeld, Hayes and Searle have sued for libel?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#178  Postby lucek » Mar 02, 2014 12:37 am

quas wrote:Thing is, if that's merely an unsubstantiated rumor, then wouldn't Rumsfeld, Hayes and Searle have sued for libel?

OK your argument is that someone didn't sue they clearly were part of an illegal arrangement.

History doesn't work by the assumption that people should act different.

Now again show a source not an echo chamber and we'll talk.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#179  Postby quas » Mar 03, 2014 1:48 am

Oh come on. You know how this works. If anyone said Rumsfeld stores WMD in his backyard, I'm sure he would have sued.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Re: Aspartame

#180  Postby lucek » Mar 03, 2014 9:09 am

quas wrote:Oh come on. You know how this works. If anyone said Rumsfeld stores WMD in his backyard, I'm sure he would have sued.

Quas, you do realize the folly of arguing this way right?
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest