Atheists and gays live shorter lives

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Ironclad, Onyx8

Atheists and gays live shorter lives

#1  Postby HAJiME » Apr 14, 2011 9:13 am

I've encountered an argument against homosexuality on the basis of it's health risks.

I'd have liked to counter it by pointing out the health risks of being religious, but when I googled.... I mostly found the opposite. Despite the fact that by country, few countries with monotheistic religion are near the top of the leaderboard for happiness, life expectancy and they dominate the top of the crime one.

So yeah, DO homosexuals and atheists live shorter lives, really? And anything else that may help...

Thanks
HAJiME

Name: Joseph
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Atheists and gays live shorter lives

#2  Postby trubble76 » Apr 14, 2011 9:17 am

HAJiME wrote:I've encountered an argument against homosexuality on the basis of it's health risks.

I'd have liked to counter it by pointing out the health risks of being religious, but when I googled.... I mostly found the opposite. Despite the fact that by country, few countries with monotheistic religion are near the top of the leaderboard for happiness, life expectancy and they dominate the top of the crime one.

So yeah, DO homosexuals and atheists live shorter lives, really? And anything else that may help...

Thanks

My smart-arsed guess is if atheists and gays live shorter lives than theists, it's probably because they are being killed off by theists for being atheists or gay.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Evolving » Apr 14, 2011 9:24 am

A lot of gay men died during the AIDS epidemic of the 80s etc. This may have skewed the statistics. Hard to comment, though, without seeing the survey and its parameters (generously assuming here that there is an actual survey).
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Olving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby CookieJon » Apr 14, 2011 9:29 am

HAJiME wrote:I've encountered an argument against homosexuality on the basis of it's health risks.

An "argument against homosexuality"? I don't understand what that even means.

Wikipedia says people in African countries have the shortest life spans. Is that an argument against black people?
CookieJon

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Apr 14, 2011 9:33 am

CookieJon wrote:

An "argument against homosexuality"? I don't understand what that even means.

Wikipedia says people in African countries have the shortest life spans. Is that an argument against black people?

Genius. :lol:

I heard that cats don't live as long as people too, now I think about it. :think:

Apropos of the OP, I think I've seen the statistics before too. The AIDS issue mentioned by Evolving is a big factor I believe, combined with a biased sampling method in some cases. I think it's also true that theists live a little longer than atheists (if measured within a country, rather than across countries), but the direction of causality is not established, it's quite possible that people who are less prone to ill health and stress (say) are more likely to classify themselves as religious, for example.

I don't have any links to hand though.
jamest wrote:Taken as a whole, I've talked quite a lot of bollocks.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby chairman bill » Apr 14, 2011 9:41 am

Is this why so many glergy are gay; they're hoping that being religious will overcome the fact of their being gay & let them live longer? Is the effect of being gay & an atheist cummulative so that gay atheists die even earlier than gay theists & non-gay atheists?
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby HAJiME » Apr 14, 2011 9:49 am

t's quite possible that people who are less prone to ill health and stress (say) are more likely to classify themselves as religious, for example.

That's a fantastic point.
HAJiME

Name: Joseph
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby byofrcs » Apr 14, 2011 9:55 am

Being Atheist means not having a belief in god so to compare things you would have to look at what they do believe in.

Life expectancy is strongly determined by the availability of health care, clean water and enough food. If (as a human being irrespective of your belief in god) think that these three things are fundamental human rights and you work towards that goal then you will have a society that will have a high life expectancy for all.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby keypad5 » Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am

Paul Cameron. :coffee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cameron

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/h ... meron.html

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/h ... _obit.html

http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/Articl ... 00,008.htm

http://news.lavenderliberal.com/2010/11 ... k-science/

http://www.alternet.org/story/31942/

Invariably, any claim about the lifespan of homosexuals leads back to the Cameron obituary study. The results of the study also concluded that lesbians are 300 times more likely to die in car accidents. :smug:

Religious right action groups including Focus on the Family, the American Family Association, the Family Research Council and the Traditional Values Coalition promote Cameron’s statistics on their Web sites. The Christian Communications Network, a public relations firm run by anti-abortion zealot Gary McCullough — media adviser to Operation Rescue and the parents of Terri Schiavo, whose feeding tube removal sparked a major controversy — publicizes Cameron’s findings to religious newspapers and helps distribute tens of thousands of his heavily footnoted pamphlets to church congregations.
— “The Fabulist“
Southern Poverty Law Center

But no matter how low his professional reputation sinks or how patently ludicrous his findings become (one recent Cameron study concluded that lesbians are 300 times more likely to die in car accidents than heterosexual women), the social impact of Cameron’s so-called research far exceeds that of all but a few genuine research psychologists. Cameron’s findings are repeated ad nauseam by lawmakers, radio talk show hosts, preachers and anti-gay activists across the country. In 2003, his research was cited by dissenting justices on the Massachusetts Supreme Court in the case that led to legalizing same-sex marriage in that state. In 2004, a majority decision by the Florida Supreme Court that upheld a law banning adoption by same-sex couples specifically cited Cameron’s research as being “consonant with the notion that children raised by homosexuals disproportionately experience emotional disturbance and sexual victimization.”
— “The Fabulist“
Southern Poverty Law Center

Lavender Liberal

:nono:
Last edited by keypad5 on Apr 14, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
keypad5

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Apr 14, 2011 10:00 am

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long...

... May we burn so very, very brightly :grin:
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby paceetrate » Apr 19, 2011 4:55 am

That's like saying there's an argument against fair skin and red hair. You can't have an argument against something that isn't a damn choice. To hell with what the statistics say, and smack the dude on that point alone.
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby VI The Sixth » Apr 27, 2011 7:09 pm

paceetrate wrote:That's like saying there's an argument against fair skin and red hair. You can't have an argument against something that isn't a damn choice. To hell with what the statistics say, and smack the dude on that point alone.

To play devil's advocate here for a bit, many people believe homosexuality is a choice. They then argue why that choice is bad: Health risks, the world would end if we're all gays, not "natural" etc.
VI The Sixth

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Even if it were the case that being gay is a decision, informed adults are allowed to make decisions that negtively impact their health.

I drink too much and I eat extremely rich food, which I have to compensate for by over-exercising. I love my life though and those things add to it's quality. No, I won't be around for as long as most people who don't do those things but while I am, I intend to enjoy myself, and I do.

If having sex with women would shorten my lifespan but was what put a smile on my face, I'd do that too.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Shrunk » Apr 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks

I don't know about any research demonstrating whether theism or atheism has any effect on longetivity. However, it seems a pretty consistent finding that regular church attendance is correlated with a longer lifespan. Just believing in God by itself seems to do little if you don't attend regular religious services.

http://courses.washington.edu/setclass/ ... t%20al.pdf
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Nautilidae » Apr 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Why would a personal belief decrease your life span?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Shrunk » Apr 27, 2011 11:35 pm

Nautilidae wrote:Why would a personal belief decrease your life span?

By itself, it probably won't. However, a particular personal belief is likely to correlate with other behaviours that might have an effect. So, as that study I mention above suggests, if you believe in God you are more likely to spend a couple hours of every week getting out of your house to go to a place called a "church" or "mosque" or "synagogue" where your meeti with a large community of people who share similar interests and beliefs to yourself, listen to some relaxing music, hear a speech confirming that you have the right idea about your place in the universe, etc. and this seems to lead to you living several years longer.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 27, 2011 11:38 pm

I
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#18  Postby Areopagitican » Apr 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Just some food for thought:

http://www.naturalnews.com/022599.html
Areopagitican

Name: Max
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Natural news is more likely to rot your brain that provide it with nourishment, unfortunately.

I would freaking love to live on the Amish diet though. They consume carbs and fats like nobody's business. Almost all their work is physical and they walk most places though so they're pretty healthy. I don't want the work part. I just want to eat.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 27, 2011 11:45 pm

I would have thought that what determines longevity is physical and mental well-being and that sexual orientation and religious belief have nothing to do with it. I am sure there are healthy gays and atheists and equally, unhealthy striaghts and theists.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking