Black Invention Myths

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Black Invention Myths

#1  Postby Nautilidae » May 25, 2015 1:13 am

Some of these may very well be correct -- I can't say -- but I don't think I've ever seen a website put so little effort into veiling its racism.

tightrope.cc/Black-Invention-Myths.htm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Since that is indeed a website that promotes racism, I've broken the link by removing the protocol prefix. You can still go read it at your pleasure, but this site isn't going to provide link ratings for them.

The_Metatron
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Black Invention Myths

#2  Postby juju7 » May 25, 2015 11:19 am

Why link to it?
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Nautilidae » May 25, 2015 11:27 am

Morbid fascination?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Nicko » May 25, 2015 12:49 pm

The Wikipedia articles for each of those inventors provide much better assessments of each of the "debunked" claims. For instance, the article on Garrett A. Morgan is fascinating. For instance, Morgan did indeed not invent the gas mask, but then he never claimed to have done so. His "safety hood" was device that protected firefighters from smoke inhalation. While not the first person to develop such a device, the apparatus Morgan patented did the job more effectively and reliably than previous devices. Morgan first gained publicity for his invention by using it himself to rescue a number of workers trapped in a smoke-filled tunnel. Which is kind of fucking awesome.

The thing is, there do seem to be people out there trying to claim that the "safety hood" was the first gas mask. This is just silly. One does not need to pretend that this - by everything I've read - brilliant inventor's contributions were ignored to make a point about racism; a better tack would be his employment of a white frontman to sell the "safety hood" to fire departments.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby igorfrankensteen » May 25, 2015 2:55 pm

juju7 wrote:Why link to it?

I agree. Isn't this the intellectual equivalent of saying "wow! this is so gross! Here! You sniff it up YOUR nose, too!"
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking