Breatharianism

a couple believes they sustain themselves on 'cosmic energy'

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Breatharianism

#1  Postby Alan C » Jun 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Something new I haven't heard of that is, on it's face, ridiculous to me;

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 92841.html

Not only that but they had a kid while allegedly practising this.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Breatharianism

#2  Postby THWOTH » Jun 17, 2017 11:01 pm

I think they're secret mineralists.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matthew Shute » Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm

I suspect sin: surreptitious smoothie sipping.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Jun 18, 2017 2:12 am

http://www.snopes.com/breatharians/
Moreover, the couple profiled by The Sun weren’t the first “breatharians” to admit to or be caught eating food while claiming not to eat or drink. Jasmuheen, an ex-business woman and founder of the movement has never proved she doesn’t eat, demonstrates signs of eating, and nutritional experts believe the claim may be a delusion shared among individuals who underestimate their “occasional” eating:
Reporters visiting Jasmuheen’s Brisbane home have been bewildered to find her fridge well-stocked with vegetarian food which, she says, belongs to her partner Jeff Ferguson, a convicted fraudster. And a British journalist accompanying Jasmuheen to her check-in desk at Heathrow last December was astonished when the BA clerk asked her to confirm that she’d ordered an in-flight vegetarian meal. “No, no,” she replied. “Well, yes, OK, I did. But I won’t be eating it.”

Liars.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 18, 2017 7:26 am

Delusionists.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby kiore » Jun 18, 2017 8:02 am

Had a housemate in Australia many years ago who was a would be breatharian, she tried and tried but got sick very quickly whenever she tried it.. guess she just didn't have a enough faith or something.
I was relieved whenever I opened the fridge and found stuff missing, even though she denied eating any of it, that better than death by starvation.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#7  Postby BlackBart » Jun 18, 2017 8:07 am

I exist on 'Cosmic energy' too. It's stored in pork pies and crisps.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Manticore » Jun 18, 2017 8:19 am

The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 18, 2017 8:28 am

From that article:

An American Breatharian guru, Wiley Brooks, who claimed not to have eaten for 19 years, was discredited in the 1980s after he was spotted emerging from a fast food shop clutching a chicken pie.

What is wrong with these people? Narcissism?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Mike_L » Jun 18, 2017 8:29 am

BlackBart wrote:I exist on 'Cosmic energy' too. It's stored in pork pies and crisps.

:lol: Ace!
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby newolder » Jun 18, 2017 8:47 am

Homeopathic cosmic nourishment in a jar: Image
Caution: this is nonsense.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 18, 2017 8:57 am

How long can you live on that?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby sdelsolray » Jun 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Follow the money, their egos or their mental health.
sdelsolray

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Nicko » Jun 25, 2017 9:05 am

Thommo wrote:http://www.snopes.com/breatharians/
Moreover, the couple profiled by The Sun weren’t the first “breatharians” to admit to or be caught eating food while claiming not to eat or drink. Jasmuheen, an ex-business woman and founder of the movement has never proved she doesn’t eat, demonstrates signs of eating, and nutritional experts believe the claim may be a delusion shared among individuals who underestimate their “occasional” eating:
Reporters visiting Jasmuheen’s Brisbane home have been bewildered to find her fridge well-stocked with vegetarian food which, she says, belongs to her partner Jeff Ferguson, a convicted fraudster. And a British journalist accompanying Jasmuheen to her check-in desk at Heathrow last December was astonished when the BA clerk asked her to confirm that she’d ordered an in-flight vegetarian meal. “No, no,” she replied. “Well, yes, OK, I did. But I won’t be eating it.”

Liars.

I wonder if it's like "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

All the breatharians think that all the other breatharians survive on nothing but fresh air and sunshine and that they are the only ones who can't do it. It's some kind of personal moral failing on their part that they still need to eat and drink.

Well, not all.

There are the frauds who know it's bullshit and the occasional dipshit who tries it for reals and winds up in hospital or worse.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Thommo » Jun 25, 2017 9:22 am

Certainly an amusing prospect.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 25, 2017 10:53 am

They must be the most delusional people ever.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby crank » Jun 25, 2017 1:37 pm

newolder wrote:Homeopathic cosmic nourishment in a jar: Image
Caution: this is nonsense.

There would have to be a perfect vacuum in the jar for that to be homeopathic.

We did breatharians a long time ago, maybe at RDF.

Bretharianism. June 2010 and
Man claims he ate, drank nothing for 70 years April 2010. The early days, we were still bitching about RDF at that point I think.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#18  Postby newolder » Jun 25, 2017 4:02 pm

crank wrote:...
There would have to be a perfect vacuum in the jar for that to be homeopathic.

I understand homeopathy to be the treatment of like with like*. In that case, a perfect vacuum would cure what? Nothing, I guess.
Homeopathy is a natural form of medicine used by over 200 million people worldwide to treat both acute and chronic conditions. It is based on the principle of 'like cures like'. In other words, a substance taken in small amounts will cure the same symptoms it causes if taken in large amounts.

We did breatharians a long time ago, maybe at RDF.

Bretharianism. June 2010 and
Man claims he ate, drank nothing for 70 years April 2010. The early days, we were still bitching about RDF at that point I think.

Thanks for the links.

* I also find there's no empirical evidence for the success of such practices.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby crank » Jun 26, 2017 12:41 am

If you look at the dilutions they employ, the expected number of atoms/molecules of the substances involved is zero. I think the standard dilution is about 1 to 1030. Since avocados number is 6 x 1023, say 1024, you're looking at a million moles or something like that, that's a lot of furry annoying critters. I'm not talking nonsense though it sure seems like it.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#20  Postby zulumoose » Jun 27, 2017 7:29 am

avocados number
lol, was that deliberate?

Homeopathy is a natural form of medicine used by over 200 million people worldwide to treat both acute and chronic conditions. It is based on the principle of 'like cures like'. In other words, a substance taken in small amounts will cure the same symptoms it causes if taken in large amounts

I think a small vacuum would then be the appropriate treatment for something a large vacuum would cause, like blood pressure being a problem, burst eardrums, ruptured lungs, asphyxiation, deafness, loss of libido, dry skin, anxiety, panic attacks...
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking