Climate Change Denial

Denial, and discussion about denial, go here

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Climate Change Denial

#5121  Postby OlivierK » Nov 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Animavore wrote:Doing the rounds this morning on right-wing papers. I'm taking the Daily Fail here.

How Captain Robert Scott's log book from his expedition of Antarctica more than 100 years ago raises troubling new doubts about global warming

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4R0yagqKf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This is a typical, disgusting example of cherry-picking and quote-mining from Heartland Institute advocate (read; oil shill), Christopher Brooker.

Here's an article simply about what the scientists say without drawing the conclusions that Brooker, who took one piece of info and ran a mile with it, did.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... d-in-.html

Breathlessly repeated on the 24hr news channel of our once-great now-Tory national broadcaster the ABC while I was picking my mum up to go shopping yesterday, although they tried to introduce "balance" by noting sharp declines in Arctic sea ice.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5122  Postby felltoearth » Dec 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Prediction. Johnbrandt, at some point in the future, will link to that article in this thread.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5123  Postby Pulsar » Dec 01, 2016 7:55 pm

New Potholer video:

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5124  Postby Rumraket » Dec 02, 2016 10:50 am

Excellent as always.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Rumraket

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#5125  Postby Pulsar » Dec 04, 2016 3:34 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/03/climate-change-scientists-house-panel-global-temperatures-misleading

Climate scientists condemn article claiming global temperatures are falling

A Republican-led panel promoted a misleading tabloid story alleging earth may not be warming, relying on data that leaves out important points of context

Climate scientists have denounced the House committee on science, space and technology after the Republican-held panel promoted a misleading story expressing skepticism that the earth is dangerously warming.

On Thursday afternoon, the committee tweeted a Breitbart article alleging: “Global Temperatures Plunge. Icy Silence from Climate Alarmists”. The story linked to a British tabloid, the Daily Mail, which claimed that global land temperatures were plummeting, and that humans were not responsible for years of steadily increasing heat.

[...]

[Adam] Sobel called the committee’s use of Breitbart “distressing”. “If the House science committee wants to understand science they should talk to climate scientists. [...] For anyone, least of all the House committee on science, to at this particular moment be promoting fake news aimed at fooling the public into thinking otherwise, can only be interpreted as a deliberate effort to distract and fool the public.”

Promoting the articles, [Michael] Mann said, “is beneath the dignity of anyone holding higher office”.

“This is an astounding example of cherry-picking the data,” said Kerry Emanuel, a professor at MIT. “Global land temperatures fluctuate significantly from one month to the next, and the article in question appears to have cherry-picked a drop on global land temperatures (not including the ocean, which covers 70% of the globe) for a single month.”

Emanuel left politics to the committee, adding: “You may draw your own conclusions as to motives.”
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5126  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 06, 2016 10:13 am

Pulsar wrote:New Potholer video:

I love this man, no homo.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5127  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2016 5:44 pm

:lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5128  Postby Ken Fabian » Dec 23, 2016 3:46 am

Pulsar @ #5123
The climate science doubters don't like to complicate their simplistic calculations of how small the annual human CO2 contibution is with inconvenient complications like The Carbon Cycle.

I like to use the analogy of a swimming pool and a trickling hose - that trickle is quite small compared to the amount of water coming into the pool from the largest "source", ie filter return outlet, so climate science denier style logically if the larger volume from the filter return doesn't raise the water level then the trickle from the hose can't cause the pool to overflow! It's an analogy that can be enlarged upon, by having a complex and large filter system that holds more water than the pool itself - just as various carbon sinks hold more Carbon than CO2 in the atmosphere. Some of the "new" water will be drawn into that system whilst "old" water replaces it. The amount of "new" water in the pool will be less than the amount needed to account for the rising water level so climate science denier style logically the rise in level cannot be from the trickling hose!
Ken Fabian

Name: Ken Fabian

Print view this post

#5129  Postby Gord » Dec 31, 2016 9:33 am

:wave: Hi Ken Fabian! Nice to see you're posting here, too.
Me: "'What' is a pronoun."
Him: "I don't know."
Me: "What?"
Gord

Name: Seriously, it's Gord.

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5130  Postby Ken Fabian » Jan 01, 2017 12:24 am

Gord, I post a bit here and bit there, erratically. I used to be more consistent at thescienceforum.com but for months all I get is database errors at that address. I presume it's demise is permanent. I sometimes wonder if these kinds of discussions are effective use of my time... well, I know that they are not, but any benefits are mostly personal, from what I learn along the way. I think I have learned a lot along the way. It would be rare that I ever changed anyone's mind (and one time I thought that was happening a partisan participating moderator who lacked compelling counter arguments used his forum powers to derail the discussion). But if people in positions of influence, power, responsibility and trust are getting their information from blogs and forums (with much content flowing from paid tankthinkers) we really are in serious trouble! And I think too many are.

Since I think contrived doubt of the validity of the science is a consequence of a broader short term financial/economic desire to avoid climate responsibility rebutting it as it appears may not be good targeting of efforts to raise awareness and encourage political courage. That an issue like this is being approached with contrived doubt by people who do hold influential positions - an issue that looks to me and NAS, Royal Society and every peak science body on the planet, like one presenting perhaps the most profound and enduring challenges of our emergent global civilisation - is extremely disheartening.
Ken Fabian

Name: Ken Fabian

Print view this post

#5131  Postby Animavore » Jan 07, 2017 12:56 pm

This article nicely preempts denialist dishonesty.

Prepare for reanimation of the zombie myth ‘no global warming since 2016’.

Climate myths are like zombies – you shoot them through the heart, walk away thinking they’re dead, and then they pop back up behind you and try once again to eat your brain.

So it is with Stage 1 climate denial and the myth that the Earth isn’t warming. It’s so persistent that it’s related to the 5th, 9th, and 49th-most popular myths in the Skeptical Science database. Climate deniers have been peddling the myth ‘no warming since [insert date]’ for over a decade.

It’s a popular myth among those who benefit from maintaining the status quo because if the problem doesn’t exist, obviously there’s no need for action to solve it. And it’s an incredibly easy argument that can be made at any time, using the telltale technique of climate denial known as cherry picking.

I created a video to illustrate this point. The key is that the Earth has natural short-term temperature oscillations caused by factors like the El Niño/La Niña cycle. El Niño events temporarily warm temperatures at the Earth’s surface, while La Niña events cause temporary surface cooling. When you combine these up-and-down cycles with a long-term human-caused global warming trend and various other noisy influences, you get a bumpy temperature rise that allows for cherry picking of periods without warming:

That’s what it looks like with artificial data. Using real global surface temperature data from NASA, I created a popular graphic called The Escalator, which has been featured the PBS documentary Climate of Doubt and used by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse on the Senate floor. The video below shows The Escalator with data updated through 2016:

Read all: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... since-2016

I shall be favouriting this page for posterity. The moment lying, denialist fucks start yapping that warming has paused I'm pointing them straight back here.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5132  Postby ElDiablo » Jan 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Interesting read in Nature about Judith Curry.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101101/full/news.2010.577.html
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5133  Postby Macdoc » Jan 07, 2017 3:18 pm

That's 6 years old now....she has entirely sold out to the fossil interests and lost any cred she might have had. The Berkeley Group report issue was particularly damning.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Judith_Curry

2016 is notable not only for the hottest year on record but for record low ice at BOTH poles....and the decline at both poles is dramatic.

Sea ice hit record lows in both poles in November
Both the Arctic and Antarctica saw less sea ice this November than at any time on record, ice decreased in the crucial Barents Sea even as winter set in.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016 ... ember.html

I've been having to pinch myself at the numbers at both ends ....and the air/water temp in the north is insane....still melting in November when it should be freezing ...and there are no words for the change in the Antarctic...

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5134  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

ElDiablo wrote:Interesting read in Nature about Judith Curry.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101101/full/news.2010.577.html

This fuckhead is quitting:

https://judithcurry.com/2017/01/03/jc-in-transition/

And here she is in a video, playing the victim on Faux Spews:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2017/01/ge ... te-change/

She complains about being vilified and "walking around with knives sticking out of her back". No, really. That fucking idiot who keeps attacking other scientists is complaining about being attacked. Fucking hypocrite she is. She's the one fucking backstabbing other scientists with her bullshit and lies.

She writes on her blog that one of the other reasons she's quitting is she doesn't need the money anymore. She even says in the video she can do well in the private sector. Translated: Whoring out to the fossil fuel industry pays well.

Fuck her.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5135  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Jan 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Curry proudly points to the same video on her Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/curryja/status/817543726612365312

So basically she's thrilled with a video uploaded by an account called "Alt-Right News".

Is she fucking retarded?

Also, the Mannster chimes in:

For his part, Mann said climate science would be stronger without Curry. He said she routinely engaged in character attack, "confusionism and denialism" and eroded scientific discussion.

"She has played a particularly pernicious role in the climate change denial campaign, laundering standard denier talking points but appearing to grant them greater authority courtesy of the academic positions she has held and the meager but nonetheless legitimate scientific work that she has published in the past," he said. "Much of what I have seen from her in recent years is boilerplate climate change denial drivel."

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5136  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Jan 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Does anyone know anything about this paper by Willie "Corrupt As Fuck" Soon and some other guys?

"Re-evaluating the role of solar variability on Northern Hemisphere temperature trends since the 19th century"

It's supposed to show that "the sun did it", according to deniers.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5137  Postby Macdoc » Jan 12, 2017 4:44 am

Why bother.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5138  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Exxon Has to Release Decades of Internal Climate Change Documents, a Massachusetts Judge Rules

A Massachusetts judge has refused to excuse Exxon Mobil (xom, -0.54%) from a request by the state's attorney general to hand over decades worth of documents on its views on climate change, state officials said on Wednesday.

The decision by Massachusetts Superior Court Judge Heidi Brieger denying Exxon 's request for an order exempting it from handing over the documents represents a legal victory for Attorney General Maura Healey, who is investigating the world's largest publicly traded oil company's climate policies.

"This order affirms our longstanding authority to investigate fraud," Healey said on Twitter following the decision, adding that Exxon "must come clean about what it knew about climate change."

Exxon spokesman Alan Jeffers said the company was "reviewing the decision to determine next steps."

http://fortune.com/2017/01/12/exxon-mob ... te-change/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5139  Postby Macdoc » Jan 14, 2017 9:10 pm

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/ ... cience-and

oh my the squirming in denier camp ....

This was the best exchange tho Tillson was a close second ....

Tuesday's hearing on Senator Jeff Sessions to be Attorney General: Climate and Krispy Kreme

On Tuesday, climate change made a momentary appearance during the confirmation hearing of Senator Jeff Sessions (R–AL) to be attorney general. In the past, Sessions has acknowledged that human activity may be warming the planet but has fiercely fought government efforts to curb emissions of warming gases including carbon dioxide and methane. During the hearing, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D–RI) asked Sessions how he would approach “making a decision about the facts of climate change” if a case before the Department of Justice required it.

In response, Sessions said:

“I don't deny that we have global warming. In fact, the theory of it always struck me as plausible, and it's the question of how much is happening and what the reaction would be to it. So, that's what I would hope we could see occur."

Here is the whole exchange, according to an unofficial transcript published by CNN.

WHITEHOUSE: You may be in a position as attorney general to either enforce laws or bring actions that relate to the problem of carbon emissions and the changes that are taking place both physically and chemically in our atmosphere and oceans as a result of the flood of carbon emissions that we've had.

It is the political position of the Republican Party in the Senate, as I have seen it, that this is not a problem, that we don't need to do anything about it, that the facts aren't real, and that we should all do nothing whatsoever. That's the Senate.

You as attorney general of the United States may be asked to make decisions for our nation that require a factual predicate that you determine as the basis for making your decision. In making a decision about the facts of climate change, to whom will you turn? Will you, for instance, trust the military, all of whose branches agree that climate change is a serious problem of real import for them?

Will you trust our national laboratories, all of whom say the same? Will you trust our national science agencies—by the way, NASA is driving a rover around on the surface of mars right now. So, they're [sic] scientists, I think, are pretty good.

I don't think there is a single scientific society, I don't think there is a single credited university, I don't think there is a single nation that denies this basic set of facts.

And, so, if that situation is presented to you and you have to make a decision based on the facts, what can give us any assurance that you will make those facts based on real facts and real science?

SESSIONS: That's a good and fair question, and honesty and integrity in that process is required. And if the facts justify a position on one side or the other on a case, I would try to utilize those facts in an honest and appropriate way.

I've not—I don't deny that we have global warming. In fact, the theory of it always struck me as plausible, and it's the question of how much is happening and what the reaction would be to it. So, that's what I would hope we could see occur.

WHITEHOUSE: Indeed, I'll bet you dollars against those lovely Krispy Kreme donuts we have out back that if you went down to the University of Alabama and if you talked to the people who fish out of mobile, they had already seen the changes in the ocean. They'd be able to measure the PH changes and they'd know the acidification is happening, and there's no actual dispute about that except in the politics of Washington, D.C.

SESSIONS: I recognize the great interest in time and you've committed to the issue and I value your opinion.

WHITEHOUSE: I do come from an ocean state, and we do measure the rise in the sea level and we measure the warming of Narragansett Bay and we measure the change in PH. It's serious for us, Senator. Thank you. My time has expired.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5140  Postby Pulsar » Jan 15, 2017 1:46 am

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/12012017/wyoming-coal-wind-energy-solar-energy-climate-change-denial

Wyoming Bill Would All But Outlaw Clean Energy by Preventing Utilities From Using It

While many U.S. states have mandates and incentives to get more of their electricity from renewable energy, Republican legislators in Wyoming are proposing to cut the state off from its most abundant, clean resource—wind—and ensuring its continued dependence on coal.

A new measure submitted to the Wyoming legislature this week would forbid utilities from providing any electricity to the state that comes from large-scale wind or solar energy projects by 2019. It's an unprecedented attack on clean energy in Wyoming, and possibly the nation. And it comes at a time when such resources are becoming cheaper and increasingly in demand as the world seeks to transition to clean energy to prevent the worst impacts of climate change.

The bill's nine sponsors, two state senators and seven representatives, largely come from Wyoming's top coal-producing counties and include some deniers of man-made climate change. They filed the bill on Tuesday, the first day of the state's 2017 legislative session. Activists and energy experts are alarmed by the measure, which would levy steep fines on utilities that continue providing (or provide new) "non-eligible" clean energy for the state's electricity. But they are skeptical it will get enough support to become law.
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking