Debunking Calilasseia, part I

Let's do it, shall we?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Debunking Calilasseia, part I

#41  Postby lobawad » Nov 03, 2011 3:21 pm

I must have missed the part where Cali said that extraterrestial life does or does not exist.

Cali- what is your position on the existence of extraterrestrial life?
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Shrunk » Nov 03, 2011 3:22 pm

ispoketoanangel wrote:So far, no poster has attempted to defend the following claim made by "Cali":

If an entity X is postulated to exist, and no substantive evidence capable of withstanding intense critical scrutiny is present to support the postulated existence of entity X, then the default position is to regard entity X as not existing until said substantive supporting evidence becomes present.

So if there's no substantive evidence, the default position is to assume it doesn't exist? Really, Cali, really?

Well, that's the way we approach every other question, so Cali is only demonstrating that there is no reason to treat the question of the existence of God any differently.

Another error you are making is in confusing "assuming something doesn't exist" with "concluding something does not exist." In your own example of ET life, every rational person acts on the assumption that it does not exist. Unless you can point to a single concrete action or decision you have taken that was based on the assumption that ET life could exist. I'm willing to bet that you carry thru your life without ever thinking "Wait a minute. If extraterrestrial life exists, then I should probably not do this, or maybe I should do it differently." That is what is meant by holding non-existence as the default position.
Last edited by Shrunk on Nov 03, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#43  Postby rJD » Nov 03, 2011 3:22 pm

ispoketoanangel wrote:
rJD wrote:
ispoketoanangel wrote:God (!), isn't it hilarous that people, while arguing with me, are actually debunking "Cali" claim! Thanks chairman bill!

No they're not doing any such thing. What you're doing here is crowbarring apart slight differences in emphasis in order to pretend that some of the posters support your argument, when they do not.

Care to elaborate?

Didn't he clearly say:

Well, the rational thing is to consider the question 'is there ET life?' as yet to be answered.

Yes he did, and you have already been given the answer that there is robust and objective evidence that life could exist (we have the example of our own planet and the vast number of possible other environments) but very weak evidence that it does. Hence, in this particular case, keeping an open mind is the right thing to do. Cali's formulation applies only to the claim that life does exist, not that it could.

That is essentially my point since the beginning. The default position is not always to regard it as not existing, sometimes the default position is to stay agnostic until we get more evidence. Cali argument is that we should regard entities X as not existing until we get substantive evidence. I don't think that is rational at all.

The case for which you're pleading is one for which no objective evidence exists at all, for which the subjective evidence (religious faith and testimonials) is hugely contradicted by every other faith claim, and for which we have a more parsimonious explanation. So, in this case, Cali's formulation applies exactly.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Nov 03, 2011 3:23 pm

lobawad wrote:I must have missed the part where Cali said that extraterrestial life does or does not exist.

Cali- what is your position on the existence of extraterrestrial life?

Dude, this thread isn't actually about representing the views of other members correctly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can it be moved to Social and fun already?
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#45  Postby ispoketoanangel » Nov 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Animavore wrote:
ispoketoanangel wrote:
rJD wrote:
No they're not doing any such thing. What you're doing here is crowbarring apart slight differences in emphasis in order to pretend that some of the posters support your argument, when they do not.

Care to elaborate?

Didn't he clearly say:

Well, the rational thing is to consider the question 'is there ET life?' as yet to be answered.

That is essentially my point since the beginning. The default position is not always to regard it as not existing, sometimes the default position is to stay agnostic until we get more evidence. Cali argument is that we should regard entities X as not existing until we get substantive evidence. I don't think that is rational at all.

So do you live your life as if ET is looking down on you fearful of a probing or do you live it as if he wasn't there (whether he is or not)?

I certainly do live assuming E.T. life might exist, or else I wouldn't support that we spend millions and millions trying to find E.T. life! Spending money trying to find E.T. life while regarding E.T. life as not existing would be irrational! But wait, that is what you are supposed to believe if you agree with Cali claim!
ispoketoanangel
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#46  Postby Regina » Nov 03, 2011 3:26 pm

babel wrote:
Regina wrote:
babel wrote:
I hope you're not a theist then. In that case, you just lost a foot.

Not really.If telepathy is considered as a means to get knowledge and what is conveyed through it is regarded as proper evidence, then he can maintain his theist worldview.

I think the 'if' you start your second sentence with is quite important. Especially how telepathy is a substantive evidence for a god-figure. I could claim it's just the next step in evolution and my claim would be equally plausible.

Of course. What I meant to say is that his position is consistent with his theistic worldview, not that he actually has to a leg to stand on, if we stick to your metaphor.
If, however, telepathy were to become the next step in evolution, then things would have to be reconsidered. But then again, how would we know that a god communicates with us through telepathy?
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#47  Postby trubble76 » Nov 03, 2011 3:27 pm

ispoketoanangel wrote:
Animavore wrote:
ispoketoanangel wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Didn't he clearly say:

So do you live your life as if ET is looking down on you fearful of a probing or do you live it as if he wasn't there (whether he is or not)?

I certainly do live assuming E.T. life might exist, or else I wouldn't support that we spend millions and millions trying to find E.T. life! Spending money trying to find E.T. life while regarding E.T. life as not existing would be irrational! But wait, that is what you are supposed to believe if you agree with Cali claim!

No it isn't, that's retarded. I keep trying to tell you that there is no requirement to accept either position. Your posts are getting stupider and stupider.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#48  Postby ispoketoanangel » Nov 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Shrunk wrote:Unless you can point to a single concrete action or decision you have taken that was based on the assumption that ET life could exist.

Of course. Tons of decisions have been made based the assumption that ET life could exist.
ispoketoanangel
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#49  Postby lobawad » Nov 03, 2011 3:30 pm

There is a distinction between could exist and does exist.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#50  Postby chairman bill » Nov 03, 2011 3:31 pm

ispoketoanangel wrote:
rJD wrote:
ispoketoanangel wrote:God (!), isn't it hilarous that people, while arguing with me, are actually debunking "Cali" claim! Thanks chairman bill!

Care to elaborate?

Didn't he clearly say:

What I said was,

Well, the rational thing is to consider the question 'is there ET life?' as yet to be answered. We might conclude that based on the evidence that life does exist in the universe, and given the vast numbers of potential planetary systems, with a vast sub-set being those with planets that are suitable for life, that it is reasonable to think that life might exist elsewhere. We might then search for evidence of it. Contrast this with claims of God(s), that have no evidential support whatsoever, with no explanation to account for their possible existence, and that so far, no one seems to have been able to explain what evidence might exist to indicate their existence.

Which absolutely does not support your position. Your deceitful quote-mining is noted.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Regina » Nov 03, 2011 3:31 pm

lobawad wrote:There is a distinction between could exist and does exist.

Words.....such pesky little buggers!

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Nov 03, 2011 3:32 pm

ispoketoanangel wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: This is comedic genius! Keep it coming Atheistsarevernim! I hope they never ban you!
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby babel » Nov 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Regina wrote:
Of course. What I meant to say is that his position is consistent with his theistic worldview, not that he actually has to a leg to stand on, if we stick to your metaphor.
If, however, telepathy were to become the next step in evolution, then things would have to be reconsidered. But then again, how would we know that a god communicates with us through telepathy?

You little devil's advocate, you. ;)

I didn't quite catch what you meant the first time. :cheers:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#54  Postby ispoketoanangel » Nov 03, 2011 3:33 pm

rJD wrote:
Yes he did, and you have already been given the answer that there is robust and objective evidence that life could exist (we have the example of our own planet and the vast number of possible other environments) but very weak evidence that it does. Hence, in this particular case, keeping an open mind is the right thing to do. Cali's formulation applies only to the claim that life does exist, not that it could.

LOL. Yes, Cali's formulation applies only to the claim that life does exist, not that it could.

So, Cali's formulation says that unless we have substantive evidence to support the existence of entity X (entity X being ET life in this example)' we should regard Entity X (ie, ET life) as not existing.
ispoketoanangel
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#55  Postby laklak » Nov 03, 2011 3:34 pm

Animavore wrote:

And that's the crux of the matter, surely? If ET "believers" or UFOlogists insisted on writing laws based on their beliefs, wanted to make my children telepathically communicate with them before classes, insisted their organizations be tax exempt, tried to enforce whatever moral code they held to on everyone else, well then, I'd oppose them the same way I oppose organized religion. Otherwise I don't care what they believe.

If theists kept their beliefs to themselves there wouldn't be any argument.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Animavore » Nov 03, 2011 3:34 pm

Why, then, do you not wear a tin foil hat if you regard ET as existing and live your life as he does? Think of it like an ET Pascal's Wager. If you're right and ET does exist then you are protected from its mind-control rays. If you are wrong you've wasted a minute of your time but at least you got a snazzy hat.
If I'm wrong alien brainwashing and anal-probing are in store for me when they catch me.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#57  Postby ispoketoanangel » Nov 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:
ispoketoanangel wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: This is comedic genius! Keep it coming Atheistsarevernim! I hope they never ban you!

They did ban me for one year, honey. They were probably mad because I exposed Cali nonsense and they felt threatened.
ispoketoanangel
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#58  Postby Regina » Nov 03, 2011 3:36 pm

OK, that was that. Now can we expect Part II any time soon?

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#59  Postby rJD » Nov 03, 2011 3:37 pm

ispoketoanangel wrote:
rJD wrote:

LOL. Yes, Cali's formulation applies only to the claim that life does exist, not that it could.

So, Cali's formulation says that unless we have substantive evidence to support the existence of entity X (entity X being ET life in this example)' we should regard Entity X (ie, ET life) as not existing.

Any specified or claimed ET, yes. So we are perfectly right to dismiss claims from enthusiasts who tell us they've met little green men. But we are not entitled to say that there is no extra-terrestrial life at all, since we do have evidence that this might exist.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Nov 03, 2011 3:38 pm

ispoketoanangel wrote:
Ihavenofingerprints wrote:
ispoketoanangel wrote:

They did ban me for one year, honey. They were probably mad because I exposed Cali nonsense and they felt threatened.

:rofl: :rofl:

What an injustice! The mods are known to be threatened by extremely intelligent individuals like yourself. You might have a law suit on your hands!

Good luck Atheistsarevernim :thumbup:
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking