Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

A discussion about critics of Dawkins

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#341  Postby Thommo » Jul 06, 2015 4:27 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thommo wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:The joke's entirely on you, spearthrower! You just cited one of the world's foremost creationists, Harun Yahya! :lol:
Or have you just converted?! :lol:
Try finding a more reliable source of evolution data!


:rofl:

Wow, talk about not following someone's meaning.
[size=85]
(Spearthrower didn't cite anyone, ...

Spearthrower cited a Harun Yahya web page on Ichthyosaurs, so you are lying.


Really? Where exactly?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#342  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Thommo wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Thommo wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:The joke's entirely on you, spearthrower! You just cited one of the world's foremost creationists, Harun Yahya! :lol:
Or have you just converted?! :lol:
Try finding a more reliable source of evolution data!


:rofl:

Wow, talk about not following someone's meaning.
[size=85]
(Spearthrower didn't cite anyone, ...

Spearthrower cited a Harun Yahya web page on Ichthyosaurs, so you are lying.


Really? Where exactly?

From ABOUT two years ago, on this forum, but some other thread. It would take too long to find the EXACT posts, but I remember as if it was yesterday that the conversation was based on the publication of an image of an ichthyosaur fossil showing a mother with a baby inside it! Spearthrower leapt on it as evidence that they were mammals, as most reptiles are egg layers. (Harun Yahya apparently did the same.) As I said earlier, I spent a long time trying to argue with him that he was committing a logical fallacy, as sharks also give live births, and they are not mammals. Now he dinies all of this, presumably either on the assumption that the relevant posts are eeffectively lost, or because he has genuinely forgotten that we had that conversation. It was not me getting names mixed up, because the conversation went on far too long for that.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#343  Postby Thommo » Jul 06, 2015 5:21 pm

You say that, yet it's been proven repeatedly in the past that you've remembered things that haven't happened or attributed them to the wrong person.

We all have problems with our memories sometimes David, so with all the best will in the world I really think you need to stop accusing people of things that you remember but can find no evidence of. You might just turn out to be wrong.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#344  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:23 pm

DavidMcC wrote:The joke's entirely on you, spearthrower! You just cited one of the world's foremost creationists, Harun Yahya! :lol:
Or have you just converted?! :lol:
Try finding a more reliable source of evolution data!

EDIT: Oh, I see Oldskeptic got there first. Sorry, but I didn't visit this site yesterday.



I asked you to cite or retract, not double-down with an extra dollop of scorn.

This is entirely fucking typical of you, Dave - constant smearing by association, but the association is something you've contrived out of thin air.

No, I didn't write what you said I wrote, and this is obviously manufactured bullshit, so if you cannot find the decency to admit you're mistaken, I will ask the mods to stop you from so absurdly misrepresenting me.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#345  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:24 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thommo wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:The joke's entirely on you, spearthrower! You just cited one of the world's foremost creationists, Harun Yahya! :lol:
Or have you just converted?! :lol:
Try finding a more reliable source of evolution data!


:rofl:

Wow, talk about not following someone's meaning.
[size=85]
(Spearthrower didn't cite anyone, ...

Spearthrower cited a Harun Yahya web page on Ichthyosaurs, so you are lying.



CITATION?
Last edited by Spearthrower on Jul 06, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#346  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Thommo wrote:You say that, yet it's been proven repeatedly in the past that you've remembered things that haven't happened or attributed them to the wrong person.

We all have problems with our memories sometimes David, so with all the best will in the world I really think you need to stop accusing people of things that you remember but can find no evidence of. You might just turn out to be wrong.

Ha! I thought you'd say that. How predictable you are! That means that you can conveniently dismiss anything I say - a catch all argument that can be used to avoid actual thought on your part.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#347  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:25 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

You know damn well that a couple of years ago, you made much of how Ichthyosaurs seemed so much like mammals, due to their live birthing. I spent pages trying to persuade you that ], because sharks also do live birthing, that it cannot be strong evidence of mammalhood, unless you think sharks are mammals! :lol:
Perhaps you haver a conveniently short memory.



Oh ze irony.

This conversation *never* happened, Dave.

You are wrong, and you entirely misrepresenting me.

Even had that happened - and it surely didn't - what the fuck would it have to do with this conversation?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#348  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:29 pm

DavidMcC wrote:From ABOUT two years ago, on this forum, but some other thread. It would take too long to find the EXACT posts, but I remember as if it was yesterday that the conversation was based on the publication of an image of an ichthyosaur fossil showing a mother with a baby inside it! Spearthrower leapt on it as evidence that they were mammals, as most reptiles are egg layers. (Harun Yahya apparently did the same.) As I said earlier, I spent a long time trying to argue with him that he was committing a logical fallacy, as sharks also give live births, and they are not mammals. Now he dinies all of this, presumably either on the assumption that the relevant posts are eeffectively lost, or because he has genuinely forgotten that we had that conversation. It was not me getting names mixed up, because the conversation went on far too long for that.



Pure fantasy, and oh so typical of David who remembers something as if it were yesterday, but might as well be tomorrow as it never happened.

You are making a series of accusations which are entirely contrived. You'd better spend the time trying to find that thread, because you're not getting away with this bollocks yet again, Dave - and you'd better hope you find it.

Again, even if this were anything more than the product of a fevered imagination, it would still be obvious trolling considering it has precisely bugger all to do with this subject and could only represent a well poisoning. Even were I wrong about another topic, it wouldn't mean that I am necessarily wrong about this one. Your attempt at discrediting me via a fantasy event is entirely fucking typical of your constant slew of belittlements of others, and vastly overblown sense of self-worth.

Last chance Dave - cite or publicly retract.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#349  Postby Thommo » Jul 06, 2015 5:30 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thommo wrote:You say that, yet it's been proven repeatedly in the past that you've remembered things that haven't happened or attributed them to the wrong person.

We all have problems with our memories sometimes David, so with all the best will in the world I really think you need to stop accusing people of things that you remember but can find no evidence of. You might just turn out to be wrong.

Ha! I thought you'd say that. How predictable you are! That means that you can conveniently dismiss anything I say - a catch all argument that can be used to avoid actual thought on your part.


Yes, I'm predictable. I don't believe unlikely sounding claims that have no evidence in favour of them.

Guilty as charged.

But! In my defence, I will surely believe it if you provide evidence, which doesn't mean I can dismiss anything you say (conveniently or otherwise), just the unsupported stuff. This also applies equally to everyone else.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#350  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:31 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thommo wrote:You say that, yet it's been proven repeatedly in the past that you've remembered things that haven't happened or attributed them to the wrong person.

We all have problems with our memories sometimes David, so with all the best will in the world I really think you need to stop accusing people of things that you remember but can find no evidence of. You might just turn out to be wrong.

Ha! I thought you'd say that. How predictable you are! That means that you can conveniently dismiss anything I say - a catch all argument that can be used to avoid actual thought on your part.



The fucking irony.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#351  Postby Thommo » Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm

The only thread on the entire forum where both of you discussed sharks:-

www.rationalskepticism.org/post1172477.html

(Place your bets before you click whether it contains Spearthrower quoting Harun Yahya supportively).
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#352  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 06, 2015 5:37 pm


OK, it now looks as if the link to Harun Yahya's page on Ichthyosaurs was Oldskeptics reply to spearthrower.
(The "you" in Oldskeptics post unambiguously refers to Spearthrower", so, although Spearthrower himself didn't link to Yahya, he was making the same mistake as if he had.)
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#353  Postby Thommo » Jul 06, 2015 5:42 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

OK, it now looks as if the link to Harun Yahya's page on Ichthyosaurs was Oldskeptics reply to spearthrower.
(The "you" in Oldskeptics post unambiguously refers to Spearthrower", so, although Spearthrower himself didn't link to Yahya, he was making the same mistake as if he had.)


What the fuck do you mean "now"? That's what it said when you so derisively answered me when I pointed out to you it was Oldskeptic's post.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#354  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:44 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

OK, it now looks as if the link to Harun Yahya's page on Ichthyosaurs was Oldskeptics reply to spearthrower.
(The "you" in Oldskeptics post unambiguously refers to Spearthrower", so, although Spearthrower himself didn't link to Yahya, he was making the same mistake as if he had.)



Oldskeptic is being ironic, Dave. He's noting that the accusation you made against me is actually something said by Harun Yahya. In no way shape or form can it be read that OS' post is actually claiming I made that error. He's making fun of your claim.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#355  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 06, 2015 5:46 pm

The main thing is that Spearthrower should admit what he insisted on a couple of years ago: that he thought Ichthyosaurs must be mammals. So far, he has only denied everything, presumably in the hope that it's all been forgotten.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#356  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Thommo wrote:The only thread on the entire forum where both of you discussed sharks:-

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1172477.html

(Place your bets before you click whether it contains Spearthrower quoting Harun Yahya supportively).



I looked up 'ichthyosaur' in my posts. Lo and behold, there was one hit!!


It was this thread. :coffee:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#357  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 5:48 pm

DavidMcC wrote:The main thing is that Spearthrower should admit what he insisted on a couple of years ago: that he thought Ichthyosaurs must be mammals. So far, he has only denied everything, presumably in the hope that it's all been forgotten.



STOP FUCKING LYING.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#358  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

OK, it now looks as if the link to Harun Yahya's page on Ichthyosaurs was Oldskeptics reply to spearthrower.
(The "you" in Oldskeptics post unambiguously refers to Spearthrower", so, although Spearthrower himself didn't link to Yahya, he was making the same mistake as if he had.)



Oldskeptic is being ironic, Dave. He's noting that the accusation you made against me is actually something said by Harun Yahya. In no way shape or form can it be read that OS' post is actually claiming I made that error. He's making fun of your claim.

That's your spin on it, but he proabably doesn't realise that you did actually say it, and said it repeatedly, against all reason.
It doesn't even matter how Oldskeptic meant it, the fact remains that you were saying the same thing as Yahya.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#359  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 06, 2015 6:04 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

OK, it now looks as if the link to Harun Yahya's page on Ichthyosaurs was Oldskeptics reply to spearthrower.
(The "you" in Oldskeptics post unambiguously refers to Spearthrower", so, although Spearthrower himself didn't link to Yahya, he was making the same mistake as if he had.)



Oldskeptic is being ironic, Dave. He's noting that the accusation you made against me is actually something said by Harun Yahya. In no way shape or form can it be read that OS' post is actually claiming I made that error. He's making fun of your claim.

That's your spin on it, but he proabably doesn't realise that you did actually say it, and said it repeatedly, against all reason.
It doesn't even matter how Oldskeptic meant it, the fact remains that you were saying the same thing as Yahya.


Dave, you are lying. You are bullshitting. You are making up shit out of thin air.

I have already told you that you are required to support this accusation by referring to the post in which I allegedly made these claims.

If you cannot support your accusation, the correct responding behavior is to shut the fuck up and retract.

What you cannot do is keep making that accusation and contriving all manner of explanations as to how I am somehow covering this up.

What you cannot do is claim that I said it and then refuse to provide the link, waving your hand around that it's sometime ago and therefore hard to find - use the damn search engine.

I am sick to fucking death of this oft-repeated tactic you use to smear people whose arguments you can't defeat - usually it's FTL and you start ranting about how someone's a FTL-supporter in a thread which has bugger all to do with FTL.

In this case, you claim that I said ichthyosaurs were mammals because they birthed live-young. As I have already pointed out, even if I had said that, it has fuck all to do with this thread and is obviously trolling to try to drag that topic in here to discredit me.

Worse, though, is that I never ever had that conversation with you. I've never even had a conversation on this forum about ichthyosaurs. It's possible you had that conversation with someone else and you have misremembered it. It's possible that you have just made it up wholesale to detract from the fact you were once again getting your ass handed to you on a platter.

What is NOT possible is that you are going to keep making this accusation and get away with lying about a fellow member, so I have reported you - you can now explain to the mods why you lying about me in contradiction with the FUA.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Defending Richard Dawkins from Misguided Criticism

#360  Postby THWOTH » Jul 06, 2015 6:49 pm

DavidMcC wrote:The joke's entirely on you, spearthrower! You just cited one of the world's foremost creationists, Harun Yahya! :lol:
Or have you just converted?! :lol:
Try finding a more reliable source of evolution data!

EDIT: Oh, I see Oldskeptic got there first. Sorry, but I didn't visit this site yesterday.

I'm afraid that this comment comes over as wilfully disingenuous. You really can do better than this David, and indeed, you should make an effort to do so.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest