Dinosaurs that are supposedly mammals.

I'm not shore what to make of this,

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Dinosaurs that are supposedly mammals.

#1  Postby lucek » Apr 27, 2014 11:13 pm

http://www.macroevolution.net/pangolins.html

I know this is just a pile of logical fallacies but where to begin. I mean yeah it's basically just cherry picking. I mean they list similarities between Pangolins, Stegosaurids and Armadillos, and Ancleosaurs respectively but then ignores features that Pangolins, Armadillos, share with all mammals and each other but not their claimed ancestor. I.E. Breast bone, their hips. etc.

I could go on, but I'll just point at one last example. Kentrosaurus Had more spikes then toes so it's kinda hard to attribute them to claws.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dinosaurs that are supposedly mammals.

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 28, 2014 12:58 am

Oh wait, this is Eugene M. McCarthy. Who thinks humans share a closer ancestry with pigs than with chimpanzees.

See more on this here.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 28, 2014 2:05 am

Jesus Christ how do these people graduate?? Have standards in universities totally collapsed?
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Apr 28, 2014 8:48 am

Hey, it's only a theory, like evilushun is just a theory. And it proves that the Jews & Muslims are right not to eat pork, 'cos that's nearly cannibalism.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Apr 28, 2014 10:25 am

The wide acceptance of the notion that ankylosaurs are reptiles can be attributed to two factors:

1) most paleontologists specializing in dinosaurs are unlikely to be familiar with the specifics of armadillo anatomy (which is, in fact, poorly known compared to that of most mammals);

Dinosaurs aren't even reptiles. Stating what paleontologists aren't familiar with doesn't discount what they are familiar with.

Does this fall under the phrase "Not even wrong"?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod » Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am

Feathers!

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chairman bill » Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am

You might as well suggest that a giraffe is similar to a diplodocus, 'cos it's got four legs, a tail & a long neck, therefore ...
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Apr 28, 2014 10:42 am

Or say a creationist is similar to a sea squirt because once it gets attached it digests its own brain.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby johnbrandt » May 01, 2014 10:07 am

I love Pangolins...I remember the first time I saw one. It was a stuffed museum exhibit, I was about fifteen, and I'd never even heard of them before. I honestly thought it was a model of some prehistoric creature. Then I learned they were actually still living and I was even more astounded.

They're so weird they're awesome.
I also always loved the explanation of their name: "The name pangolin comes from the Malay word pengguling, meaning "something that rolls up". You can't get more accurate than that... :lol:
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Veida » May 01, 2014 10:20 am

chairman bill wrote:You might as well suggest that a giraffe is similar to a diplodocus, 'cos it's got four legs, a tail & a long neck, therefore ...

Well, they're both tetrapods.
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#11  Postby DavidMcC » May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Animavore wrote:
The wide acceptance of the notion that ankylosaurs are reptiles can be attributed to two factors:

1) most paleontologists specializing in dinosaurs are unlikely to be familiar with the specifics of armadillo anatomy (which is, in fact, poorly known compared to that of most mammals);

Dinosaurs aren't even reptiles.

No, but they are within the reptile clade, having evolved from a reptile. This makes some paleontologists refer to them as "reptiles".
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » May 02, 2014 11:18 pm

The fun part being, of course, that by the time one starts examining the Therapsid and Synapsid lineages, the reptile lineages that gave rise to the first proto-mammals, I think it was Ken Miller who said that in palaeontological circles, there was a fairly heated debate over where to draw the line between "mammal-like reptiles" and "reptile like mammals". But of course, these put in an appearance in the Middle Permian, a good 50 million years before the Mesozoic Era.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tolman » May 13, 2014 2:58 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Jesus Christ how do these people graduate?? Have standards in universities totally collapsed?

That someone graduates is no guarantee of future competence or stability. It's just (one hopes) some measure of competence at some point in time.

Most people who crash cars have passed driving tests.

Most people who crash planes are qualified pilots.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Return to General Debunking