Dream Interpretations

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Dream Interpretations

#1  Postby devogue » Jan 08, 2017 8:02 pm

It's a load of nonsense, isn't it?
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dream Interpretations

#2  Postby The_Piper » Jan 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Yes /thread
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Dreams are the royal road to the unconscious. Some of them are garbage, others reveal things about our minds/object relations. It can be difficult to tell between the two types, however.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician. Clean, dry, nicotine and caffeine free as of 19/1/2017.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Jan 08, 2017 11:05 pm

The_Piper wrote:Yes /thread

:this:

Fuck off, dev.

:P
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Beatsong » Jan 08, 2017 11:15 pm

I don't see how it's nonsense. Dreams are stuff going on in the mind, so "interpreting" what they mean in terms of your wider life and consciousness is no different from taking notice of anything else that happens in your mind and thinking about it. If you have a dream about something that suggests a particular state like loneliness, anxiety etc. and it leads you to examine the functioning of such states within your life at the time - fair enough.

The key thing is that the interpretation must come from the dreamer. If you have a dream about entering a giant dark tunnel and it makes you think about all the unknowns in the new job you're about to start, then that's the meaning that is "right" for you. It's not up to anyone else to tell you it's really about wanting to have sex with your mother because that's what Freud said or whatever.

So if you're referring to lists of predetermined meanings for predetermined symbols that are supposed to apply to everyone whether they like it or not, then yeah - nonsense.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Jan 09, 2017 12:55 am

While working for an office furnishing company as a temp, we were putting in all the office furniture, cubicle walls, etc, for the new Austin American Statesman building, that's Austin's main newspaper. One day, my only job for the whole day was opening boxes with the office chairs in them, box after box after box, for hours and hours. For 2 or 3 nights after, I dreamed of boxes, surrounding me, falling on me, almost drowning in boxes. Not much to interpret there, other than I needed a new job.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby VazScep » Jan 09, 2017 6:54 am

On several occasions, when I've spent all day on the same problem, I'll usually dream about it. On waking, I have a confident sense that I cracked the problem, and I just need to recall the details. I've got used to telling myself not to bother, because it's always gibberish.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fallible » Jan 09, 2017 9:11 am

If you mean dreaming about your teeth falling out is about sex, or dreaming of a black dog means a death in the family, it's probably bollocks. If you mean dreaming about something a lot can probably be matched up with something you consider to be important, then, well, water is wet and cows go moo.
Arcade Fire wrote:Afterlife. I think I saw what happens next. It was just a glimpse of you like looking through a window or a shallow sea. Could you see me?
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Alan B » Jan 09, 2017 2:48 pm

I dreamt I won the lottery.

Still fucking waiting! Grrr!
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby crank » Jan 09, 2017 3:01 pm

I think you were supposed to look at what the numbers were on your ticket, and then play those numbers. Don't you know how these things work?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Fallible wrote:If you mean dreaming about your teeth falling out is about sex, or dreaming of a black dog means a death in the family, it's probably bollocks. If you mean dreaming about something a lot can probably be matched up with something you consider to be important, then, well, water is wet and cows go moo.

I think when that happens, it's as random as when it doesn't.

I'm in the camp that dreams are nonsense.

Not sure what brainOS is up to with those routines, but I've detected no usable patterns in any of my dreams, ever. As far as I remember, we don't remember most of them. I suspect we remember the really good ones, and the really bad ones, just because of their shock value.

Could be that brainOS is trying out different scenarios based on what it's learned to see how they end, and in so doing, adding to the value of our experiences. If my guess is at all close, and we best remember the really good and the really bad dreams, that may serve to move those actions that led to those dream results into conscious working memory, and may help guide our behavior to favor things that result in successes, and avoid those behaviors that result in failures.

Maybe.
"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option: I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."

Astronaut Mark Watney, logging about his status of being stranded on Mars, in Andy Weir's book, The Martian
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » Jan 09, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm sure we're unaware of most of them. It just wouldn't surprise me if something is on your mind a lot, that you dream about it...or that if you are feeling anxious, you have worrying dreams. Seems to be what happens with me. If I'm anxious, I remember dreams which are themselves anxiety-infused. It doesn't have to be a specific subject, but I've often noticed that whatever the subject matter, I'm left with the impression that the whole thing has an uneasy, menacing, worrying undercurrent.
Arcade Fire wrote:Afterlife. I think I saw what happens next. It was just a glimpse of you like looking through a window or a shallow sea. Could you see me?
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tolman » Jan 11, 2017 1:33 am

VazScep wrote:On several occasions, when I've spent all day on the same problem, I'll usually dream about it. On waking, I have a confident sense that I cracked the problem, and I just need to recall the details. I've got used to telling myself not to bother, because it's always gibberish.

In that kind of situation, I've often found it's when I'm falling asleep that I realise what a potential solution is, and that often isn't nonsense.
Usually, it's because I was so focussed on a particular perspective or approach (and stressed out by not getting a solution) that I didn't step back and look for a different approach.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#14  Postby VazScep » Jan 11, 2017 6:59 am

Those happen to me on the walk home from work. The worst one is when I go "shit, I've just spent all day doing it the hard way when there was a much simpler way to achieve exactly the same thing.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 11, 2017 1:51 pm

VazScep wrote:Those happen to me on the walk home from work. The worst one is when I go "shit, I've just spent all day doing it the hard way when there was a much simpler way to achieve exactly the same thing.

So, you fall asleep on your way home? You obviously work too hard!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby VazScep » Jan 11, 2017 2:55 pm

That's only happened to me once. I still have the scar on my forehead sustained from walking at a brisk pace into a brick wall.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Mike_L » Jan 11, 2017 4:31 pm

One, two...

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience