Genetic Literacy Project

Is it a valid site for articles regarding genetics?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Genetic Literacy Project

#1  Postby Alan C » Feb 19, 2016 9:16 am

On a whim I decided to try looking to do a bit of cross-checking on this site but so far I see a bunch of links about them being funded by Monsanto or references about the head man involved.
I'm wary of such sites as I suspect many are by what I consider to be overly-paranoid people, nonetheless, I'd like to check if there isn't any glaring conflicts of interest there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on it?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Genetic Literacy Project

#2  Postby Animavore » Feb 19, 2016 10:07 am

It certainly seems to be owned by Monsanto just thralling through the articles. One article blatantly comes across as if from a Monsanto spokesperson when speaking against claims that Monsanto larvicides, and not the zika virus, are responsible for the micorencephaly epidemic in Brazil.

First, Monsanto does not own Sumitomo Chemical Company. We are business partners in the area of herbicides. We’ve had a business relationship with Sumitomo since 1997.

Second, Monsanto does not produce or sell larvicides. A simple search of our website would reveal that. For the conspiracy theorists out there, who may say, “So what? You can be hiding it!” we have an obligation to our shareowners to be transparent in our product portfolio.

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/ ... ournalism/

That's not to say the science isn't good on the website. Hating Monsanto appears to the fashion at the moment.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Feb 19, 2016 10:28 am

Lol. The second hit which comes after this site on Google is TruthWiki. An anti-science, anti vax site with a penchant for referencing itself.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan C » Feb 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Animavore wrote:Lol. The second hit which comes after this site on Google is TruthWiki. An anti-science, anti vax site with a penchant for referencing itself.

I did see truthwiki come up, I hadn't heard of it but that one did sound fishy.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking