GMO can grow in sand with pesticide. . .

Apparently.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

GMO can grow in sand with pesticide. . .

#1  Postby lucek » Jan 07, 2014 10:59 pm

According to a study I can't find GMO corn has next to none of several elements. Now I'm not entirely shore but the deficiency seems implausible. As in the corn probably couldn't survive and produce seed.

Attachments
07-01-14 - 1.png
07-01-14 - 1.png (164.69 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: GMO can grow in sand with pesticide. . .

#2  Postby Oeditor » Jan 23, 2014 10:05 pm

References needed. Calcium and magnesium figures are particularly doubtful. As for glyphosate, no plant would normally have any, GM plants may have picked it up but what would they have picked up otherwise? Note also that concentration in feed need not be mirrored in the animal - it could be rapidly removed or concentrated. Also, what part of the plant are they talking about for all the constituents? This needs a short referenced article, not a scary poster.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby lucek » Jan 23, 2014 11:02 pm

That's the problem, every link I follow either leads me to another dead end or yet another site with names like "momsacrossamerica.com" with the same problem. Some claim that the research was "Leaked" or that it was a "2012 corn comparison" or "2012 Nutritional Analysis: Comparison of GMO Corn versus Non-GMO Corn" to which all I get via Google is more of the same and Google scholar not even that much.

I want to find the source of this I just can't.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby dvada191 » Jan 24, 2014 1:09 am

lucek wrote:That's the problem, every link I follow either leads me to another dead end or yet another site with names like "momsacrossamerica.com" with the same problem. Some claim that the research was "Leaked" or that it was a "2012 corn comparison" or "2012 Nutritional Analysis: Comparison of GMO Corn versus Non-GMO Corn" to which all I get via Google is more of the same and Google scholar not even that much.

I want to find the source of this I just can't.

Maybe that's because its made up. Fear mongers, I say.
"To any sufficiently ignorant person, science is indistinguishable from religion."
dvada191

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jan 24, 2014 2:43 am

One checkable fact on the fear posters is their proposed toxicity levels. Their claim is that 0.1ppm of glyphosate damages tissues in animals. Very well.

As you can see, the EPA has established that a daily dose of 2mg/kg (that's 2ppm vs. the poster's claimed 0.1ppm) as dietary exposure is safe for the lifetime of a human. This is 20x the exposure level that is supposed to be toxic according to the poster.

Source:
http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsh ... 78fact.pdf

So it's basically crap.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby hyena » Jan 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Well, want some references? Because that it is bad for you, in some way... Is completely bullshit, that doesn't even make sense if you know a little bit about genetics.

This thread has much about GMO, enough references, over 600 studies.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/biolo ... 42721.html
hyena

Name: Dario Sanchez Martinez
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#7  Postby ScientificSkeptic » Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Glad to see everyone here thinks the same.

"Fear mongers, I say."

Yeah. They are REALLY ANNOYING, misinformation spreaders...Nothing but paranoid I guess....
ScientificSkeptic
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Oeditor » Mar 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Of course gmos can grow in sand, as can natural crops. It's called hydroponics and I proved it over 50 years ago - the plant on my childhood windowsill actually produced a tomato, long before gmos were possible. Come to think of it, I didn't even bother with the sand!
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby lucek » Mar 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Oeditor wrote:Of course gmos can grow in sand, as can natural crops. It's called hydroponics and I proved it over 50 years ago - the plant on my childhood windowsill actually produced a tomato, long before gmos were possible. Come to think of it, I didn't even bother with the sand!

Um I think you misunderstood the thread.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Briton » Mar 23, 2014 10:05 am

Oeditor wrote:Of course gmos can grow in sand, as can natural crops. It's called hydroponics and I proved it over 50 years ago - the plant on my childhood windowsill actually produced a tomato, long before gmos were possible. Come to think of it, I didn't even bother with the sand!

Of course that tomato had been genetically modified. Same for nearly all the 'naturual crops' we eat.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking