"Ground of all Being"?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "Ground of all Being"?

#441  Postby Oldskeptic » Nov 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Kafei wrote:

So, this is what the Buddhist literature says. There's a lot of overlapping in Buddhist cosmology and in modern physics today. I mean, the Buddha's principle that "everything is in flux and nothing is permanent" could very easily coincide with a modern view that involves evolution and our modern cosmological view that involves deep time.

Bullshit!
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#442  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Onyx8 wrote:We don't need no tickets, man.

Gotta buy the tickets.... or it will be a bad trip! :shock:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#443  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Kafei wrote:

So, this is what the Buddhist literature says. There's a lot of overlapping in Buddhist cosmology and in modern physics today. I mean, the Buddha's principle that "everything is in flux and nothing is permanent" could very easily coincide with a modern view that involves evolution and our modern cosmological view that involves deep time.

Bullshit!

Deepak Chopra: you've got a challenger!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#444  Postby Oldskeptic » Nov 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Kafei wrote:

Well, most people who have been changed by this experience do say it has changed them for the better.

Those that have been changed have been changed. Nice!

Of course, what "better" is may not be something we concretely define. I mean, why should a species keep surviving?

Species don't survive they avoid extinction for as long as possible.

McKenna, while he may have exhibited some intellectual conceit, he nevertheless remained humble through his psychedelic experiences.

I'm sure all the stoned groupies he fucked would attest to that.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#445  Postby tolman » Nov 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Kafei wrote:The reason why the pineal gland is "heavily speculated" to be the source of DMT is because it has the necessary constituents to synthesize N,N-DMT. tryptophan is two enzymatic steps away from being N,N-DMT, and so tryptophan and the enzymes necessary to make this synthesis are all present in the pineal gland. Then, you have the research done with rats in 2013 that actually proved that the pineal gland was manufacturing DMT. So, that's why I say "heavily speculated," because it's a safe bet that DMT is being produced in the pineal glands of human beings, too.

I loved the comment on the linked page:
This made me think that maybe DMT is the missing link in why the human race is to a degree consciously aware.

That is, that something has been found in rats makes someone think it's an answer to why humans are special.

And given that consuming excessive amounts of either natural neurochemicals or synthetic ones can lead to all kinds of odd states, what would be the big deal in finding some particular substance was produced naturally?

Clearly, if a chemical has an effect on the brain, that's typically going to be because it interacts with one or more receptors, whether as a result of being naturally present, or of mimicking the activity of a naturally-present substance.

Whether a chemical is naturally-present or not is no indication of whether a brain will work better as a result of someone ingesting the chemical.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#446  Postby tolman » Nov 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Spearthrower wrote:All aboard the quantum woo train: next stop, dimension 12a, platform 3.

Surely, dimension 12.7, platform 3 3/4?

It's, like, fractal, dude.

See - all the platforms look the same.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#447  Postby Ironclad » Nov 26, 2014 1:30 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
This thread has been relocated, from Christianity to General Debunking. Enjoy!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#448  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2014 1:32 pm

tolman wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:All aboard the quantum woo train: next stop, dimension 12a, platform 3.

Surely, dimension 12.7, platform 3 3/4?

It's, like, fractal, dude.

See - all the platforms look the same.

Regardless, the woo train has arrived at its destination! :grin: :cheers:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#449  Postby kennyc » Nov 26, 2014 1:46 pm

My conclusion after 23 pages is that the 'Ground of all Being' is Turkey and Stuffing! Mmmmmmm!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#450  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 26, 2014 2:54 pm

did I mention that DMT is found in the rats muscles too? Proof that it's synthesized there and probably the needed clue about why humans walk upright.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#451  Postby tolman » Nov 26, 2014 2:57 pm

If you take enough DMT, do rats start walking upright?
tolman

Print view this post

#452  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 26, 2014 3:00 pm

tolman wrote:If you take enough DMT, do rats start walking upright?

Yes. I then projected this back in time along the hyperplane thereby imprinting the Sheldrake field with the upright walking form which later came to fruition in hominids. Pretty fucking basic biology.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#453  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Which thread took out Hack and how long is he gone this time?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#454  Postby tolman » Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm

A month, and it was one where a Mick clone/sockpuppet was talking the usual bigoted nonsense.
tolman

Print view this post

#455  Postby Kafei » Nov 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Kafei wrote:

Well, most people who have been changed by this experience do say it has changed them for the better.

Those that have been changed have been changed. Nice!

Changed for the better. That was the response. Someone else mentioned whether it was just simply "changing people." I find that people feel more relaxed, they attain a peace of mind, and are more content with their situation, and overall the people who experience this change feel that it has benefited them for the better.

Oldskeptic wrote:
Of course, what "better" is may not be something we concretely define. I mean, why should a species keep surviving?

Species don't survive they avoid extinction for as long as possible.

Well, by survive, that's precisely what I meant. To avoid extinction. It's basically synonymous.

Oldskeptic wrote:
McKenna, while he may have exhibited some intellectual conceit, he nevertheless remained humble through his psychedelic experiences.

I'm sure all the stoned groupies he fucked would attest to that.

Well, while you guys may have listened to tidbits here and there or read excerpts from his books, I, on the other hand, have read all his books, I've listened to just about every recording out there on the net of Terence McKenna, if not all of them, and have never heard this type of intellectual conceit go to his head. Another reason I believe this is so is because this experience is humbling in its nature. It connects you up to the moment or what Terence McKenna called, "The felt presence of immediate experience" which is a fancy way of saying the same thing. I'll post a video that goes over this type of humbling that this experience confers.

Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#456  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Kafei wrote:
Well, while you guys may have listened to tidbits here and there or read excerpts from his books, I, on the other hand, have read all his books, I've listened to just about every recording out there on the net of Terence McKenna, if not all of them...

:bowdown:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#457  Postby laklak » Nov 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

Au contraire, M. Spearthrower. The woo train never arrives at it's destination because the journey is the destination.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#458  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2014 8:09 pm

laklak wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Au contraire, M. Spearthrower. The woo train never arrives at it's destination because the journey is the destination.

No references to quantum: C-

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#459  Postby kennyc » Nov 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Kafei wrote:...
Well, while you guys may have listened to tidbits here and there or read excerpts from his books, I, on the other hand, have read all his books, I've listened to just about every recording out there on the net of Terence McKenna, if not all of them,.....

I never would have guessed, or should I say, "My condolences" or maybe "you poor thing!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#460  Postby Kafei » Nov 28, 2014 6:11 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Kafei wrote:
Well, while you guys may have listened to tidbits here and there or read excerpts from his books, I, on the other hand, have read all his books, I've listened to just about every recording out there on the net of Terence McKenna, if not all of them...

:bowdown:

I actually don't hold him to any high-esteem. He's really good to listen to brush up on your vocabulary. The guy is like a human dictionary. I challenge you to listen to one of his talks in its entirety. You'll find yourself rushing to the dictionary with every other word in his sentences. I'm actually a huge fan of Alan Watts, but judging by this crowd, you guys probably think he was another reincarnation of Chopra. By the way, I've never read anything by Chopra, but I have seen a few clips like the one where he's interviewed by Richard Dawkins. I believe Terence was, at the very least, more rational than that. One thing that Terence did, and that I believe he's most popular for, is his advocacy for the "heroic dose." I mean, that's how a lot of people end up taking upon this endeavor, because they get the shamanic amount from Terence. That was his greatest legacy. If it turns out that his "Stoned Ape" concept is true, then it'll probably shift to that, but the greatest mark he left was as the advocate for taking psychedelics at dose ranges most people are uncomfortable with.

Ironclad wrote:
GENERAL MODNOTE
This thread has been relocated, from Christianity to General Debunking. Enjoy!

Wtf? Why? There's nothing to debunk. :scratch: Maybe it should've went to the theistic thread of which the phrase "ground of all being" is most used in.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking