How to Argue with Assholes

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#41  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Sendraks wrote:I'm still in the abyss of despair from seeing someone here comment "this is a discussion forum, we're having a discussion, I don't need to back up what I say."

This is part of the phenomena which appears to operate under the notion: 'Look! I wrote a sentence too, so now it's equal!'.

I don't have any problem if people are just flapping their fingers for fun so long as they don't then expect the product of that to be taken seriously.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby tolman » Oct 10, 2015 12:43 am

Sendraks wrote:I'm still in the abyss of despair from seeing someone here comment "this is a discussion forum, we're having a discussion, I don't need to back up what I say."

Oh, look on the bright side.

At least they didn't say ',,, and my Mummy says so!', even if that may have been heavily implied.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#43  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 11, 2015 9:33 am

DavidMcC wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:It's scary how much you seem to think the world revolves around you DavidMcC.

I was expecting that someone was going to say that! It's the usual trick. That's why I mentioned the "clever wording", referencing my recent clashes in which others demanded links to posts which were quite old (and therefore difficult to find), but whose basic content had stuck in my mind.

They wouldn't be difficult to find if they actually existed.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby THWOTH » Oct 16, 2015 10:21 am

You can't argue with that.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby kennyc » Oct 16, 2015 10:45 am

Some time back I realized the philosophical fruitlessness of arguing with assholes and changed my philosophy. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 16, 2015 10:51 am

THWOTH wrote:
You can't argue with that.

That's not an asshole!!

It's a cowhole!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby kennyc » Oct 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Cowabunga Dude!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby THWOTH » Oct 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Spearthrower wrote:That's not an asshole!!

It's a cowhole!

Yeah, sorry about that. Many of the images that cropped up in the first lot of search results were not only unsuitable, but some may have done irreparable psychological harm. :shocked:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby laklak » Oct 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Arguing with idiots is like wrestling with a pig. You'll just get dirty and they enjoy it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 16, 2015 3:10 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:That's not an asshole!!

It's a cowhole!

Yeah, sorry about that. Many of the images that cropped up in the first lot of search results were not only unsuitable, but some may have done irreparable psychological harm. :shocked:

Or at least would have done were there any more harm to be done! :grin:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Good gods, there are so many opportunities to practice on this forum! :maraca:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#52  Postby chairman bill » Oct 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Ass hole

“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby kennyc » Oct 17, 2015 11:49 am

chairman bill wrote:Ass hole

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby kennyc » Oct 17, 2015 11:50 am

and....
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Alan B » Oct 17, 2015 3:29 pm

I suppose a proper arsehole would be rude.

Waits...

But on second thoughts I suppose this will do:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby hackenslash » Oct 17, 2015 3:37 pm

^^ I couldn't decide whether to go with that or this:

I'd just decided to go with this when I spotted you'd edited that in.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby igorfrankensteen » Oct 17, 2015 4:03 pm

As long as we include spurious calls for documentation, either in situations where supporting documentation doesn't apply (such as expressions of opinion), or where the subject matter itself is entirely conceptual, so that there CAN be no supporting documentation...

...or in general, using the request for external support as a trick, claiming that the lack of it proves the opposing point, when it doesn't do so at all.

ANY tool can be misused and abused.

As for "arguing with assholes" in general, I am also in the camp that argues right up to the point where I realize that the person IS an asshole (i.e. that they willfully ignore logic and/or facts, and demonstrate no sense of personal honor), and then stop bothering.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Alan B » Oct 17, 2015 4:54 pm

That sounds about right.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 17, 2015 5:01 pm

igorfrankensteen wrote:As long as we include spurious calls for documentation, either in situations where supporting documentation doesn't apply (such as expressions of opinion), or where the subject matter itself is entirely conceptual, so that there CAN be no supporting documentation...

I am not sure whether you read the OP, but I was quite clear about the method one would use to express an opinion - using a phrase which makes it clear to your audience that this is purely subjective opinion, and not intended as a factual statement.

igorfrankensteen wrote: ...or in general, using the request for external support as a trick, claiming that the lack of it proves the opposing point, when it doesn't do so at all.

If the claim is intended or portrayed as a factual statement, and the claimant cannot support said factual statement by reference to information validating it, then it's not so much that it proves the claim wrong as shows it's probably just an opinion being misleadingly couched as if it were a factual statement.

igorfrankensteen wrote: ANY tool can be misused and abused.

As an historian, I would have thought you'd be in agreement of the necessity of sources to establish supposed facts. Requests for citations for purportedly factual claims do not seem to be an abuse or a misuse of anything.

igorfrankensteen wrote: As for "arguing with assholes" in general, I am also in the camp that argues right up to the point where I realize that the person IS an asshole (i.e. that they willfully ignore logic and/or facts, and demonstrate no sense of personal honor), and then stop bothering.

I don't think you watched the video, as it quite expressly states that holding stupid opinions which are couched as if they are facts doesn't make the person an asshole. I am also not sure where personal honour comes into this, discourse not revolving around a warrior code, but I think there's a big problem with the usage of the word 'logic' in many people's posts. Logic is not just a 'but it seems to follow for me' - logic is an actual formal system of judging the validity of reasoning, whereas many people who have no background in the study of logic tend to use it to declare they are right by some nebulous principle with a word they think lends credibility to that.

Further, as the video says, it's not necessary to 'argue' with such people, but simply to find where the person has sourced their claim. If you're dealing with a matter like climate science or evolutionary biology, people are perfectly entitled to misinformed opinions, but if they wish to declare their opinions as facts then you just need to ask them to source their claims to allow them to show themselves and their claim as being unsupported.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 18, 2015 11:46 pm

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking