How to Argue with Assholes

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

How to Argue with Assholes

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Looking around at this forum at present, I think this video is sorely needed. Something I am continuously surprised by here is that many new members, and disturbingly quite a few older ones, seem to have forgotten that most elementary quality of rational skepticism: supporting your claims.

It's easy to make assertions, and they're worth precisely as much as the effort it took to type them: bugger all.

If you can't cite something to support what you claim, then you need to learn to preface your sentences with a softener, like: 'I might be completely fucking wrong but, I think that....." rather than constructing sentences which indicate that your say so is the solitary authority on life, the universe, and fucking everything.

And if you think that continuing to offer further assertions to support your previous assertions is perfectly acceptable discourse, and that people have a cheek demanding your provide citations or sources, then you need to go and look up what rational skepticism means.

I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#2  Postby Sendraks » Oct 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Spearthrower wrote: and that people have a cheek demanding your provide citations or sources,


I'm still in the abyss of despair from seeing someone here comment "this is a discussion forum, we're having a discussion, I don't need to back up what I say."

If that's the way these forums are going, we might as well close up shop.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#3  Postby Sendraks » Oct 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Apparently the number of hits a youtube video has had, somehow counts as meaningful evidence now.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#4  Postby The_Piper » Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Sendraks wrote:Apparently the number of hits a youtube video has had, somehow counts as meaningful evidence now.

Citation. :tongue:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28567
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Sendraks wrote:Apparently the number of hits a youtube video has had, somehow counts as meaningful evidence now.


Similar to the 'people on social media said that....' bollocks we've been offered by washisface so many times!

This site's discoursive integrity here is in free fall, and I think many people have forgotten how to hold these wool-weavers to account.

We've got people actively trying to derail difficult questions posed to them by appealing to the mods that their usernames are being 'mutilated' just because someone uses their first name or surname. That's beyond belief.

I value this site too much to let these folks destroy this place and turn it into another vapid soap-box for prejudice and ignorance.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Oct 01, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#6  Postby hackenslash » Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Sendraks wrote:Apparently the number of hits a youtube video has had, somehow counts as meaningful evidence now.


So does, for example, posting random jpegs.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Spearthrower wrote: and that people have a cheek demanding your provide citations or sources,


I'm still in the abyss of despair from seeing someone here comment "this is a discussion forum, we're having a discussion, I don't need to back up what I say."

If that's the way these forums are going, we might as well close up shop.



There are assuredly a goodly number of newer members who who seem to think that discoursive integrity is achieved simply because they can formulate semantically correct sentences. All these different Gospels according to being promulgated. Enough. Let's employ the stated agenda of this website.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#8  Postby hackenslash » Oct 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Spearthrower wrote:This site's discoursive integrity here is in free fall, and I think many people have forgotten how to hold these wool-weavers to account.


Too right. It tells you something that people are negatively comparing current members to Mick.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 1:57 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:This site's discoursive integrity here is in free fall, and I think many people have forgotten how to hold these wool-weavers to account.


Too right. It tells you something that people are negatively comparing current members to Mick.



I'm noticing that there are a lot of people employing Jerome Da Gnome argumentation.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#10  Postby THWOTH » Oct 01, 2015 2:26 pm

:popcorn:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#11  Postby Sendraks » Oct 01, 2015 2:46 pm

hackenslash wrote:So does, for example, posting random jpegs.


I've mentioned this before, but I can't see the random jpegs. All I see is a contentless post, which apparently, is what they are.

Its like people who post videos, loooong videos, and provide no analysis or summary of what the video is about. I've no interest in watching a video without a) first knowing what it I about b) knowing what the person thinks about the arguments presented in the video and c) what aspects of those arguments they would like to discuss.

And that the video has X many hits, does not in anyway give the video "worth" or provide a compelling reason to watch it.

There are One Direction videos that have been viewed millions of times. That's not a reason for me to watch them.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#12  Postby HughMcB » Oct 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Sendraks wrote:And that the video has X many hits, does not in anyway give the video "worth" or provide a compelling reason to watch it.

There are One Direction videos that have been viewed millions of times. That's not a reason for me to watch them.

We've been reduced to clickbait. :lol:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#13  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 5:26 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Sendraks wrote:And that the video has X many hits, does not in anyway give the video "worth" or provide a compelling reason to watch it.

There are One Direction videos that have been viewed millions of times. That's not a reason for me to watch them.

We've been reduced to clickbait. :lol:


Still, compared to some people's actually typed contributions, this represent a significant improvement in quality! Which is depressing.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#14  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 01, 2015 5:40 pm

:lol: Good points are being made, but the way they're being made sounds like grumpy old men. ;)

I suppose that's what makes this forum feel so homey for me.... :grin:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
User avatar
ScholasticSpastic
 
Name: D-Money Sr.
Posts: 6354
Age: 45
Male

Country: Behind Zion's Curtain
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#15  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 01, 2015 5:42 pm

:popcorn:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#16  Postby Animavore » Oct 01, 2015 5:42 pm

For a sec I thought he was implying the little girl at the start of the video was an asshole.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44751
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#17  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 5:46 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote::lol: Good points are being made, but the way they're being made sounds like grumpy old men. ;)

I suppose that's what makes this forum feel so homey for me.... :grin:


I was born a grumpy old man, and cultivate it at every opportunity! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#18  Postby Sendraks » Oct 01, 2015 7:10 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

I was born a grumpy old man, and cultivate it at every opportunity! :)


I've met you. You're one of the most positive and energising people I've met.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#19  Postby orpheus » Oct 01, 2015 7:11 pm

As we're speaking of grumpy and YouTube, there's this:

Christopher Hitchens wrote: I have just been sent a link to an Internet site that shows me delivering a speech some years ago. This is my quite unsolicited introduction to the now-inescapable phenomenon of YouTube. It comes with another link, enabling me to see other movies of myself all over the place. What's "You" about this? It's a MeTube, for me. And I can only suppose that, for my friends and foes alike, it's a HimTube.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ecade.html

It's one of Hitch's more lightweight essays, probably casually scribbled down on a napkin between sips of wine during a boring dinner party. Still, as you'd expect, the writing is really, really, really good.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
User avatar
orpheus
 
Posts: 7274
Age: 56
Male

Country: New York, USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: How to Argue with Assholes

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 9:01 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

I was born a grumpy old man, and cultivate it at every opportunity! :)


I've met you. You're one of the most positive and energising people I've met.


It's a facade, underneath I am grumping. :lol:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 27970
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest