Humans didn't originate on Earth

apparently many researchers believe this

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Humans didn't originate on Earth

#1  Postby Alan C » Mar 06, 2016 8:23 am

Someone just put this up in a rational discussion FB group;

http://www.ewao.com/a/1-researchers-believe-that-humans-are-not-from-earth-we-originated-from-elsewhere-in-the-universe

The first thing I notice is we go from 'many researchers' to the opinion of one guy from the looks of it.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Humans didn't originate on Earth

#2  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 8:27 am

Cool story bro ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 06, 2016 8:32 am

There was a docco about this theory called "Stargate Atlantis". Apparently, we are th second evolution of the human life form, the first one being the Atlantians [or "Ancients"] in the Pegasus galaxy several millions years ago. And as soon as I find a working ZPM, I am off to prove it is true!
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 8:38 am

What always makes me wonder about this stuff .. how come anyone pays attention to it? Given basic knowledge about life outside of Earth its clear its nonsense and that is without reading the article. What grants it attention? Because it was posted somewhere, its on the internet and its says "many researchers"? Someone put it up in rational discussion group on FB. I tell you who that someone is. Troll or idiot.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby Greyman » Mar 06, 2016 11:30 am

tuco wrote:What always makes me wonder about this stuff .. how come anyone pays attention to it? Given basic knowledge about life outside of Earth its clear its nonsense and that is without reading the article. What grants it attention? Because it was posted somewhere, its on the internet and its says "many researchers"? Someone put it up in rational discussion group on FB. I tell you who that someone is. Troll or idiot.
It's the "Hey, someone said something stupid on the internet, so I've just got to share it," phenomenon.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Well, what I really meant .. was that this stuff is subject to baloney detection kit and, ideally, its everyones responsibility to know it and use it.

---
edit: we are in debunking not social and fun*
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Silver provides arguments based on human physiology, suggesting that we have not evolved along with other life forms on Earth, but that we actually come from elsewhere in the universe, brought here by extraterrestrial beings tens of thousands of years ago.

:rofl:
Is he serious? maybe he just misunderstood panspermia theories that life came to earth from elsewhere, not humans! (Not that the proper panspermia hypothesis is necessarily right or wrong - it's hard to say.)
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby igorfrankensteen » Mar 06, 2016 3:44 pm

This kind of "theory" comes from two basic sources:

1: being surprised at the logical consequences of the most commonly believed theories of existence (i.e. that life here came from elsewhere because HERE, came from elsewhere);

2: exceptionalism appeals to the ego of the observers (humans must have come from elsewhere, because we are SO much more inherently coooool than everyone else around here).
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Mar 06, 2016 3:52 pm

So, aliens. Damn, they were smart. They managed to bioengineer our genome to the point that it looks exactly like we evolved here on earth along with everything from amoebas to kittycats. All that common DNA, you know. In fact, it's almost like there weren't any aliens at all and we actually DID evolve here along with everything else! That's how smart those aliens were, and proves that we actually didn't evolve here along with everything else.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Fuxino » Mar 06, 2016 8:44 pm

tuco wrote:What always makes me wonder about this stuff .. how come anyone pays attention to it? Given basic knowledge about life outside of Earth its clear its nonsense and that is without reading the article. What grants it attention?

There are people who think science is a big conspiracy. They will believe almost any "theory", no matter how stupid, that contradicts the "official science". The internet (a product of scientific knowledge, how ironic) has given them the possibility to easily spread their bullshit and get attention... :roll:
My blog (mostly in Italian): https://ioateo.wordpress.com

"Forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." Lawrence Krauss
Fuxino

Name: Daniele
Male

Italy (it)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Spread as easily as verify it ;) I was shocked because I consider it elementary or common knowledge. I mean I do not want to be personal but New Zealand 39? That is just unacceptable.
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby Hobbes Choice » Mar 06, 2016 11:30 pm

I love the way these National Inquirer type web pages operate.

Here's a convincing phrase; "Many researchers have come to the conclusion..." I suppose more than 2 is "many", and any idiot that can read is a "resaercher".

Then there is; "Other scientists have argued that life originated on Mars due to a mineral found in Martian meteorites, a concept that is crucial for the genesis of life."
This gently implies with the word "other" that the aforementioned "reasearchers", might also be scientists..
Here's something interesting; there is no such thing as a "Martian Meteorite". lumps of rock found in Antartica, have attracted this curious description, but it implies much more than it is worth. Rocks from Mars do not just leap off the planet with life on them and happily make their way to earth.
Then there is mention of the amino acid/ comet "experiment"
ALL of which has nothing at all to do with the kooky idea that humans came from another planet, which we soon learn is the purpose of this croc of shite; to advertise a BOOK.

Juxtaposing this risible story of Dr. Ellis Silver's "THESIS" (that humans are placed here from Alpha Centauri as prisoners, seems to be for the fact that we all feel a bit peaky from time to time because humans don't belong here and tend to get ill), with the other speculative theories that some extraterrestrial chemicals MIGHT have contributed to life in earth Billions of years ago is pure sleight of hand for the hard of thinking that read this sort of web-page.
Hobbes Choice
Banned User

Name: Arthur Noni Mauss

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DougC » Mar 07, 2016 2:11 am

laklak wrote:So, aliens. Damn, they were smart. They managed to bioengineer our genome to the point that it looks exactly like we evolved here on earth along with everything from amoebas to kittycats. All that common DNA, you know. In fact, it's almost like there weren't any aliens at all and we actually DID evolve here along with everything else! That's how smart those aliens were, and proves that we actually didn't evolve here along with everything else.

:)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Greyman » Mar 07, 2016 2:34 am

laklak wrote:So, aliens. Damn, they were smart. They managed to bioengineer our genome to the point that it looks exactly like we evolved here on earth along with everything from amoebas to kittycats. All that common DNA, you know. In fact, it's almost like there weren't any aliens at all and we actually DID evolve here along with everything else! That's how smart those aliens were, and proves that we actually didn't evolve here along with everything else.
Well, apparently they missed a bit.
Earth, We Are One wrote:EWAO
Silver argues that no other native species on earth has this issue, pointing to the 223 extra genes in humans, genes tat are not found in any other species.
223 extra genes. A whole 223!
:crazy:
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Mar 07, 2016 4:38 am

The smoking gene(s)!

He's an ecologist, so he knows what he's talking about. Checkmate, Evilooshunists!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Alan C » Mar 08, 2016 6:00 pm

tuco wrote:Spread as easily as verify it ;) I was shocked because I consider it elementary or common knowledge. I mean I do not want to be personal but New Zealand 39? That is just unacceptable.

Do you have a problem with me posting this? How is this different to what anyone else has posted here with regards to bringing up bullshit pseudoscientific claims for discussion?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tuco » Mar 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Define "to have problem". To be honest I do. I can elaborate more as to why. Not sure its needed. Do you have problem with me posting what I posted? It works both ways.

Its no different, I guess it was just on top, thus subject to my attention.
tuco

Print view this post

#18  Postby Alan C » Mar 10, 2016 6:20 pm

Well, I got the impression you seemed more interested in questioning my posting of the article rather than discussing the article itself. I'm also questioning what the relevance was of pointing out my age and geographic location.
With regard to people following processes such as the baloney detection, in an ideal world everyone would be doing this, surely you know this is definitely not the case. Posting this here is hardly 'spreading it around' now is it? This site does not appear to be as busy as it used to be. Do you also take issue with things like the ongoing 9/11 thread or the Expanding Earth thread?
If you have a problem with people posting this sort of thing in the Debunk It section of this forum why are you here?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tuco » Mar 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Fair enough.

I was indeed questioning legitimacy of posting the article.

Age and location got into equation in the context of the article and, well, the world and time we live in. To me its information to consider when reacting and/or my brain probably considers somehow it regardless because its just there. It then would be dishonest to pretend it does not exist, was not one way or the other taken into consideration. If lets say child from Burundi asked I would probably react differently.

Yes, yes and HJ too. Couple of others. Guns. The difference here, to me, is that 9/11 or Expanding Earth are more complex with regard to issues it contains. I think I've been in both and said my stuff already. No kit helps there. The other are matter of opinion thus endless.

I have answered it already. It was on top, I clicked it because .. lets see what is to debunk, then .. wrote what I wrote.

This is my reasoning, I dunno how it was in reality. I do not claim its polite, just or appropriate. Believe it or not, I consider responsibility of using the kit, around this community, as important. I mean I cant force it on people but I can alert them about it as I consider it useful minimum when making informed decisions or forming informed opinions. For my own well being and safety. Obviously I am not good at saying it and well probably something else.

Take this as my apology or my recognitions of your valid points.
tuco

Print view this post

#20  Postby Alan C » Mar 11, 2016 8:23 am

Ah, right. I see your points. It just seemed weird to me, like I was thought to be a flat-earther or something so I took things too personally.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking