"I am you" nonsense

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: "I am you" nonsense

#2021  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 28, 2019 6:55 am

Mod works in alacritous ways!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2022  Postby Thommo » Apr 28, 2019 9:12 am

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0214377

"In this survey, we want to characterize various experiences of encounters with something that someone might call: God (e.g., the God of your understanding), Higher Power, Ultimate Reality, or an Aspect or Emissary of God (e.g., an angel)."

Participants in the psychedelic version of the questionnaire were required to fulfill the following inclusion criteria: (1) Were at least 18 years old; (2) Read, write, and speak English fluently; (3) Had not completed the questionnaire previously; (4) Had a God encounter experiences (as described above) after taking a dose of a classic hallucinogen that had moderate to strong psychoactive effects. Participants in the non-drug version of the questionnaire were required to fulfill inclusion criteria 1, 2, and 3 as well as the additional criterion that they had had a God encounter experience (as described above) but that they had never had such an experience after having taken a psychoactive drug.

So, we're still at "people who think they met god don't tend to be atheists".

Well, duh.
Thommo

Print view this post

#2023  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 28, 2019 5:00 pm

In case a mod happens by, I'd be interested to know whether that was actually Kafei's sock.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2024  Postby GrahamH » Apr 30, 2019 11:18 am

What a joke.

Participants in the psychedelic version of the questionnaire were required to fulfill the following inclusion criteria: (1) Were at least 18 years old; (2) Read, write, and speak English fluently; (3) Had not completed the questionnaire previously; (4) Had a God encounter experiences (as described above) after taking a dose of a classic hallucinogen that had moderate to strong psychoactive effects. Participants in the non-drug version of the questionnaire were required to fulfill inclusion criteria 1, 2, and 3 as well as the additional criterion that they had had a God encounter experience (as described above) but that they had never had such an experience after having taken a psychoactive drug. This final exclusion criterion assured that responses from non-drug respondents were not confounded by having had a drug-occasioned God encounter experience.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0214377

So only people who thought they had an experience of 'god' are included. Epic selection bias.

So much for the claim that these drugs would convert any atheist that took them. The study excludes any contrary evidence.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#2025  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 28, 2020 7:57 pm

Kafei or one of his disciples called into another ACA affiliated show:

Starts at 55:25. The tired canards Kafei gave in this thread start at 58:30. Some of the callers statements are verbatim reproductions of Kafei's statements here.
At around 1:00:30 the caller refers to an ongoing study where 'self professed atheists are no longer atheists'....
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking