I don't trust my mind

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

I don't trust my mind

#1  Postby Pyrrho » Feb 05, 2021 9:48 am

I know that i can't know if my mind is wrong. But i know that i thought that with my mind. I know nothing and i can't even know if i don't know nothing. What should i do lol.
Pyrrho

Name: null

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: I don't trust my mind

#2  Postby Hermit » Feb 07, 2021 9:57 am

Knowledge is provisional. Don't go by trying to work out what is true. Go by what works.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 07, 2021 12:40 pm

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 07, 2021 2:05 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I know that i can't know if my mind is wrong. But i know that i thought that with my mind. I know nothing and i can't even know if i don't know nothing. What should i do lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersubj ... ifiability

Intersubjective verifiability is the capacity of a concept to be readily and accurately communicated between different individuals ("intersubjectively"), and to be reproduced under varying circumstances for the purposes of verification. It is a core principle of empirical, scientific investigation.

Make a hypothesis (can be informal) about the world - check to see whether it stands up to tests attempting to falsify it. Assuming confirmation, at this point, it's possible (although fairly implausible) that your mind could be fooling you. So, tell someone else your idea, have them see if they can reproduce the same results with tests they devise. If they can, you have found another mind which independently observes the same things as your mind. At this point, you should feel you can trust that particular produced quantity of your mind. If you don't, then you're venturing into solipsism which is self-defeating and absent utility.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 07, 2021 4:04 pm

Reality persists whether you believe it or not. That you wouldn't step in front of a moving bus because you know what would happen says more about your actual beliefs than anything in the OP.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Feb 07, 2021 4:34 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Reality persists whether you believe it or not. That you wouldn't step in front of a moving bus because you know what would happen says more about your actual beliefs than anything in the OP.

Exactly. As I mentioned above, don't bother with trying to discover The Truth™. Go with whatever works as long as it works. When it fails, go with plan B.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Feb 07, 2021 8:55 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I know that i can't know if my mind is wrong. But i know that i thought that with my mind. I know nothing and i can't even know if i don't know nothing. What should i do lol.

Use a slightly weaker definition of the word "know". A good suggestion upthread is to accept provisionality as a part of any knowledge.

Also perhaps bear in mind that "I know that i can't know if my mind is wrong." does not mean any particular thing you believe is equally likely to be right or wrong. Believing that when you step into the wardrobe you will be transported to a magical world of fauns, talking lions and evil witches is not equivalent to believing that when you hang your clothes in the wardrobe they will be there tomorrow morning.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fenrir » Feb 07, 2021 9:08 pm

I don't trust your mind either.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#9  Postby romansh » Feb 07, 2021 9:18 pm

Don't worry ... there are lots of people here who will tell you when your mind is wrong.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Return to General Debunking