If you sleep with a blocked nose you will die of suffocation

I have a really bad cold right now - how do I stay awake?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

If you sleep with a blocked nose you will die of suffocation

#1  Postby Sara4321 » Oct 28, 2022 8:15 pm

In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

https://medium.com/@whitep/the-man-who- ... a5f4f20b82

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DIY+snor ... a061333426

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/121 ... s-snoring/
Sara4321

Name: Sarah

Print view this post

Re: If you sleep with a blocked nose you will die of suffocation

#2  Postby felltoearth » Oct 28, 2022 9:12 pm

I’m getting thighs of death vibes from this forum member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 28, 2022 10:56 pm

What nonsense is this?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 28, 2022 10:59 pm

Even the most elementary pass of the lame sources shows...

She went upstairs while Mark, who had drunk wine and taken sleeping tablets,

Not the alcohol and sleeping tablets... no, it's sleeping with a blocked up nose that killed him! :roll:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Oct 28, 2022 11:04 pm

Maybe they "inhaled" them? Else I dunno :)
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby Sara4321 » Oct 28, 2022 11:07 pm

tuco wrote:Maybe they "inhaled" them? Else I dunno :)

No, when he was found the next morning he still had the tampons up his nose. He didn't aspirate them.

All sources on Mark Gleeson's death specifically mention the tampons up his nose being the cause for him suffocating in his sleep.
Sara4321

Print view this post

#7  Postby Sara4321 » Oct 28, 2022 11:07 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Even the most elementary pass of the lame sources shows...

Not the alcohol and sleeping tablets... no, it's sleeping with a blocked up nose that killed him! :roll:

That's what the news sources were saying. The tampons up his nose caused him to suffocate in his sleep.
Sara4321

Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Oct 28, 2022 11:15 pm

I've previously taped tampons into my ears to drown out the wife's snoring, but have never considered taping tampons into her nose. Thanks for the advice.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 29, 2022 12:52 am

felltoearth wrote:I’m getting thighs of death vibes from this forum member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might suffocate on her own snot tonight. Happens all the time. Bad cold, plugged nose, dead meat.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Piper » Oct 29, 2022 1:19 am

Nerd thighs. :lol: :lol: :lol: I like the comments in this thread. :dopey: When I have a stuffy nose I find it nearly impossible to fall asleep, not stay awake. Maybe a nasal spray would help.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Fenrir » Oct 29, 2022 2:20 am

"Thighs of Death Vibes"

Best band name ever

And no, if you have a blocked nose you must never ever sleep ever. Coz instant death.

However, if you are regularly waking up with tampons up your nose then medical intervention may be indicated.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 29, 2022 2:58 am

Sara4321 wrote:

That's what the news sources were saying. The tampons up his nose caused him to suffocate in his sleep.

"News sources" - let's not pretend that these sources are in any way, shape or form meant to be official reports arbitrating the cause of death - it's sensationalist tripe.

Rather, as even your sources expressly note, the man literally drank alcohol and took sleeping tablets (like this had nothing to do with his death!!), as well as shoved tampons up his nose.

So remind me how you get from that to 'sleep with a blocked nose you will die of suffocation' because it looks like utter nonsense to me.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby THWOTH » Oct 29, 2022 7:35 am

Sara4321 wrote:

Might have had undiagnosed sleep apnea, compounded by obeasity, or The Mekon might have did it with his death ray.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Thommo » Oct 29, 2022 7:38 am

Sara4321 wrote:In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

You're right. Sleep is certain death for you. Whatever you need to do to stay awake, you must do it.

This is one of many reasons that the common cold is currently the leading cause of death in the USA.
Thommo

Print view this post

#15  Postby The_Piper » Oct 29, 2022 12:50 pm

Not to mention staying awake for a week or longer is deadly. Deadlier than sleeping with a stuffed up nose. At least that's my guess. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Greg the Grouper » Oct 29, 2022 1:05 pm

Isn't this common amongst folks with sleep apnea...?
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 29, 2022 5:32 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:Isn't this common amongst folks with sleep apnea...?

Yup, depending on the severity of the apnea. It results from actually breathing so infrequently and so inefficiently that insufficient oxygen gets to the necessary bits that keep you alive, and literally starves them of oxygen so tissue starts dying inside you.

Of course though, this is entirely independent of mixing alcohol and sleeping tablets, then stuffing tampons up your nose.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Sara4321 » Oct 29, 2022 8:26 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Sara4321 wrote:

"News sources" - let's not pretend that these sources are in any way, shape or form meant to be official reports arbitrating the cause of death - it's sensationalist tripe.

Rather, as even your sources expressly note, the man literally drank alcohol and took sleeping tablets (like this had nothing to do with his death!!), as well as shoved tampons up his nose.

So remind me how you get from that to 'sleep with a blocked nose you will die of suffocation' because it looks like utter nonsense to me.

The pathologist said the tampons contributed to his asphyxiation. If humans switch to mouth breathing during sleep when their nose is blocked, how could his nose being blocked have played any role in his death?
Sara4321

Print view this post

#19  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 29, 2022 8:43 pm

Sara4321 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Sara4321 wrote:

The pathologist said the tampons contributed to his asphyxiation.

No kidding? :lol:

I don't think it really takes any expertise in diagnostic medicine to know that shoving things in to block your breathing holes will thereby make it hard to impossible to breathe.

How then does this amount to news?

Regardless, this is not remotely equivalent to having a blocked nose in terms of mucus, is it?

Sara4321 wrote: If humans switch to mouth breathing during sleep when their nose is blocked, how could his nose being blocked have played any role in his death?

Because it's a euphemism?

Because when you're 'blocked up', it's not tantamount to, equivalent to, or in any way analogous to being strangled of oxygen. You can still breathe, even with difficulty, and of course, you can still breathe through your mouth.

However, if you have bad apnea and decide to mix sleeping pills with alcohol then shove products designed specifically to absorb liquid and thereby expand to present a near perfect block between the inside and outside - it's really quite a different story than congestion, so the contention that "If you sleep with a blocked nose you will die of suffocation" isn't at all justified by this completely irrelevant case. It's basically a non-sequitur.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Sara4321 » Oct 29, 2022 8:46 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Sara4321 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Sara4321 wrote:

The pathologist said the tampons contributed to his asphyxiation.

No kidding? :lol:

I don't think it really takes any expertise in diagnostic medicine to know that shoving things in to block your breathing holes will thereby make it hard to impossible to breathe.

How then does this amount to news?

Regardless, this is not remotely equivalent to having a blocked nose in terms of mucus, is it?

Sara4321 wrote: If humans switch to mouth breathing during sleep when their nose is blocked, how could his nose being blocked have played any role in his death?

Because it's a euphemism?

Because when you're 'blocked up', it's not tantamount to, equivalent to, or in any way analogous to being strangled of oxygen. You can still breathe, even with difficulty, and of course, you can still breathe through your mouth.

However, if you have bad apnea and decide to mix sleeping pills with alcohol then shove products designed specifically to absorb liquid and thereby expand to present a near perfect block between the inside and outside - it's really quite a different story than congestion, so the contention that "If you sleep with a blocked nose you will die of suffocation" isn't at all justified by this completely irrelevant case. It's basically a non-sequitur.

My point being that it's a myth that a person will just breathe through their mouth during sleep if their nose becomes blocked.

Right now I can't breathe through my nose at all.
Last edited by Sara4321 on Oct 29, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara4321

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking