Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#61  Postby jez9999 » Nov 23, 2013 10:34 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Essentially what you're saying is that unless a person follows a literal-as-bricks interpretation of their scriptures, they aren't a real follower. This, obviously, is bullshit.

I'm saying that that's what MUSLIMS say. If you can find examples of Muslims saying otherwise I'd be interested.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 23, 2013 6:33 pm

jez9999 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Essentially what you're saying is that unless a person follows a literal-as-bricks interpretation of their scriptures, they aren't a real follower. This, obviously, is bullshit.

I'm saying that that's what MUSLIMS say. If you can find examples of Muslims saying otherwise I'd be interested.

You should check out the Sufi's, for a start. As I mentioned, since there are different sects following from the same text, there is apparently room for interpretation in the texts.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Imagination Theory » Nov 24, 2013 2:16 am

Matthew Shute wrote:
Irrelevant to the point under discussion, which is whether the term "Islamophobia" is nonsensical.

Not entirely, Jez. You were arguing that a blanket fear of Islam or the Quran is rational. I'm questioning the utility of fear, even where it may be justified. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see all religion destroyed tomorrow; I just doubt that fear is a rational way to go about challenging religions.

I do agree that the term, Islamophobia, is often used simply as a way to dismiss critics without dealing with the criticism.

It is indeed, however there really are people afraid of Islam because they are brown, foreign and don't believe in Jesus.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Imagination Theory » Nov 24, 2013 2:26 am

jez9999 wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:
jez9999 wrote:How is it a twist on the "no true Scotsman" fallacy? That fallacy is based on the speaker determining what defines a True Scotsman. Here, I'm taking what Muslims say makes one a Muslim and applying that to them.

So, tell me who it is that can speak authoritatively for all of Islam? While you're at it, please explain why Christians can ignore "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law," yet still be Christian. Or are you now going to tell us that most people who call themselves Christian actually are pseudo-Christians?

Do the Christians think the Bible is the perfect word of god that may not be cherry-picked? No. That's the main difference.

Err, yes, most of them do. :scratch:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#65  Postby james1v » Nov 24, 2013 2:47 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jez9999 wrote:

You should check out the Sufi's, for a start. As I mentioned, since there are different sects following from the same text, there is apparently room for interpretation in the texts.

What do the highest, occupyers of Islamic thinking, think of "the sufis". Those on high, supress, or recommend killing them.

Sufis, are a tiny minority within Islam. As insignificant as some liberal, couple of thousand, cultish christians today. As far as mainstream Islam is concerned, they are heritics. How many Sufi mosques exist in Iran, or Saudi? If there is any, what are the numbers of the congregations?
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby NineBerry » Nov 24, 2013 8:23 am

jez9999 wrote:

The quran itself says that it has ambiguous parts that can be interpreted in different ways and that "evil people" will interpret it wrongly.

It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding.

Quran 3,7

Note the last part. It says that true believers will say they believe all of the quran because it is from God although only God knows the true interpretation.
Last edited by NineBerry on Nov 24, 2013 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 24, 2013 8:27 am

The opt-out clause of all opt-out clauses.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby jez9999 » Nov 24, 2013 11:53 am

NineBerry wrote:Note the last part. It says that true believers will say they believe all of the quran because it is from God although only God knows the true interpretation.

"I believe it no matter what it says!"

Yup, sounds like blind faith to me. :-)
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#69  Postby HomerJay » Nov 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:people afraid of Islam because they are brown, foreign and don't believe in Jesus.

Wut?!?

Being brown makes you afraid of islam?

Islam it is:

a) a country
b) a people
c) a religion
d) an ideology
e) all of the above

:scratch:
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby HomerJay » Nov 24, 2013 9:19 pm

SkyMutt wrote:
HomerJay wrote:
SkyMutt wrote: It is my opinion that "Islamophobia" is a lame buzz-word, but that does not mean that there is no such thing. It is its overuse by Islamist zealots which has rendered it nearly meaningless, not anything inherent to the term.

Bullshit.

You don't even know what it means.

Devastating analysis there, HomerJay. So enlightening, and brilliantly expressed. Your willingness to accuse "one million muslims" in England of calling for the death of Salman Rushdie shows remarkable discernment and insight. Image

Where have you said what you mean by islamophobia?

There's nothing to analyse til you do that.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2013 9:21 pm

HomerJay wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:
HomerJay wrote:
SkyMutt wrote: It is my opinion that "Islamophobia" is a lame buzz-word, but that does not mean that there is no such thing. It is its overuse by Islamist zealots which has rendered it nearly meaningless, not anything inherent to the term.

Bullshit.

Devastating analysis there, HomerJay. So enlightening, and brilliantly expressed. Your willingness to accuse "one million muslims" in England of calling for the death of Salman Rushdie shows remarkable discernment and insight. Image

Nor can you claim to know that he doesn't know what it means until he has done so.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#72  Postby HomerJay » Nov 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
HomerJay wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:
HomerJay wrote:
Bullshit.

Nor can you claim to know that he doesn't know what it means until he has done so.

Unless his contradictory statements about it demonstrate he cannot know what it means.

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2013 9:27 pm

HomerJay wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
HomerJay wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

Unless his contradictory statements about it demonstrate he cannot know what it means.

It's not so much a matter of contradictory statements as incorrect grammar.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby SkyMutt » Nov 24, 2013 10:17 pm

HomerJay wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:
HomerJay wrote:

Bullshit.

So, you were the one putting out bullshit when you accused me of not knowing what the term means.

As I understand the term, it is not a description of a clinical phobia. Rather it's a loose colloquial descriptive term for strong or irrational fear or strong dislike of Islam and/or Muslims. That was my point in my first post in this thread. When jez9999 wrote in his OP that "in order to have a phobia of something, you must have an irrational fear of it," he was incorrect, in that Islamophobia is not a clinical diagnosis, but a colloquial term (as "phobia" is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster). Given that, it need not be an irrational fear, but can be (and as I understand it, is) a wider term, encompassing strong dislike of Islam and/or Muslims, or rational (but again strong) fear of the effects of Islam on one's society.

Nothing written in this thread, including your posts, has shown why that understanding is incorrect. For instance, I disagree with your contention that homophobia is a nonsense term; it describes a very real phenomenon. Perhaps you live in some enlightened community in which nobody ever expresses over the top prejudice against Muslims, in which nobody ever discriminates against homosexuals merely because of their sexuality. I do not. I see both of those in the people around me, and I consider the terms applicable. Just because certain groups have thrown the term "Islamophobia" at anything remotely resembling it, does not mean that the phenomenon it describes does not exist. The same holds true for "homophobia."

I'm still wondering what is the basis for your accusation that "one million muslims" in England called for the death of Salman Rushdie.
Last edited by SkyMutt on Nov 24, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#75  Postby SkyMutt » Nov 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:It's not so much a matter of contradictory statements as incorrect grammar.

Please show me where you would correct the grammar that I used.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby theropod » Nov 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2013 10:22 pm

SkyMutt wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:It's not so much a matter of contradictory statements as incorrect grammar.

I could be wrong but I thought you meant to say:
SkyMutt wrote: It is my opinion that "Islamophobia" is used as a lame buzz-word, but that does not mean that there is no such thing. It is its overuse by Islamist zealots which has rendered it nearly meaningless, not anything inherent to the term.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#78  Postby SkyMutt » Nov 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

SkyMutt wrote: It is my opinion that "Islamophobia" is used as a lame buzz-word, but that does not mean that there is no such thing. It is its overuse by Islamist zealots which has rendered it nearly meaningless, not anything inherent to the term.

Ah. I think that would be a question of diction rather than grammar. :grin:

Perhaps your revision is better, but I really do think that the word has been rendered lame by its overuse.

— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#79  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2013 10:40 pm

SkyMutt wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

Ah. I think that would be a question of diction rather than grammar. :grin:

English isn't my native language, so I tend to use grammar in place of diction or other linguistic terms. :oops:

SkyMutt wrote:Perhaps your revision is better, but I really do think that the word has been rendered lame by its overuse.

Meh, it still has it's use because there are actual Islamophobes as there are homophobes.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#80  Postby tuco » Nov 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Islamophobic is about as "nonsensical" as homophobic.

edit: you stole my line Thomas. Pirate ..
tuco

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking